Electronic FA-10

I tried 2 police departments yesterday looking for FA-10s. Neither New Bedford nor Lakeville had any. They both referred me to the e-FA-10 and said that they would no longer keep any FA-10s in stock. I called the FRB today to request some and I of course got the "use the e-FA-10 from, its secure" line. After several back and forths they agreed to send me 2 paper forms. We will see if I get them.[angry]

Framingham, Ashby, Natick, all told me that they do not have the forms any longer because the paper is no longer accepted and that I should do them online... I don't have many of my 7days left to be screwing around with this BS. What now?

Framingham, Ashby, Natick, all told me that they do not have the forms any longer because the paper is no longer accepted and that I should do them online... I don't have many of my 7days left to be screwing around with this BS. What now?

Use the PDF and submit that. So far they haven't started rejecting them yet, but only time will tell.

-Mike

Where are you located?? I am off this week, if you aren't too far, I could donate one to you

Wayland has them. The dispatch couldn't offer any suggestion for why according to the other PDs the form no longer exists...

Got two today. Thanks for the help guys!

been trying to find some info on the FA-10. Im new at the hobby and my dad gifted me 5 guns and obviously didnt charge me (hes old school and also has alzhiemers so I dont know if these guns were ever registered) So I was wondering what the protocol is for what I should do. I wanna make them legal and register them. Is that what filling out the form will do? sorry if this has been beaten to death but just trying to find out the right way to be legal so im on the up and up. I am pretty sure all guns are mass legal(ruger 357 5 shot revolver, colt 1911, ruger 6 shot 22 revolver, m1-garand, and a mini 14 ruger semi auto rifle, any help with out being berated for not knowing would help haha

Is your father licensed?

If so, he can transfer up to 4 firearms per calendar year to you via FA-10 form.

If not, a FFL would be required to effect the transfers. Using this method, there is no limit on the number of transfers.

thanks Kevlar..i think at one point he was but it may have lapsed. so i am guessing hes not at this point. with his condition he doesnt always remember.. so I need to find an ffl dealer(is that basically any place that sells guns?) or are there private ones? also do you know if there is a charge? thanks again

Be careful, if any handguns aren't on the EOPS List, and you can't prove they were in MA on/prior to 10/21/1998 to the dealer's satisfaction, they will not be able to transfer the guns to you or give them back to your Father

Every dealer sets their own price for transfers. It can vary from (typically) $25/gun to $50/gun.

Ask all your questions of the FFL BEFORE moving forward with doing anything.

Mike,

Just do either paper if you have it or the PDF.

NOBODY has reported any rejection letters from CJIS.

Many (too many) PDs are still in denial about the fact that THEY are supposed to stock the paper forms. And most of us have no access to the Internet (nor a printer) from a gun club/random parking lot/etc. so we can't even do a transaction (many times) using the e-Form that most of us (including GOAL) RECOMMEND NOT BE USED!

Two accepted FA-10 PDFs last week. I would never enter a "PIN" to any account along with my serial or account number on any form. And until the MGL changes "form" to "electronic submission" PDF's will be used.

so I tried doing the electronic fa-10, filled out the form and when it came time to print and confirm pdf, it asked me for a password to print. Which I never saw anything prior about needing a password to print. So I didnt have one and when I went to go back to prior page it wouldnt let.So that being said I have zero clue if my electonic pdf fa-10 went thru. This happen to anyone else? Not even sure if my gun registered now

so I tried doing the electronic fa-10, filled out the form and when it came time to print and confirm pdf, it asked me for a password to print. Which I never saw anything prior about needing a password to print. So I didnt have one and when I went to go back to prior page it wouldnt let.So that being said I have zero clue if my electonic pdf fa-10 went thru. This happen to anyone else? Not even sure if my gun registered now

You just learned yet another reason to NEVER USE THE E-FA10.

Really, don't use the electronic one, ever, even just to test.

Ok I will never use the E-FA10 again..point taken. But do you think my online registration went thru? is there even a way to tell?

Ok I will never use the E-FA10 again..point taken. But do you think my online registration went thru? is there even a way to tell?

Yes, and No.

Jason Guida (Director of FRB which "owns" this program/database, part of CJIS) told me that there is no way to look back at what you did, this was purposefully implemented to avoid a hacker stealing your/my data (a real concern). The downside is that you can't get back to it to print a copy once you are home/office and have access to a printer. I suppose (never tried to use it) that you can save a PDF/print while it is on screen but if for whatever reason you went beyond that point, there is no return!!

thanks Lens when it came time for me to print my pdf for proof a page popped up saying this pdf needs a password to print. I saw no mention of needing it to print prior so hence i didnt have one and lost the page. I guess its good for safety but bad if you encounter what i did. I guess I can see if my PD has some paper copies and send it in again

Personally I wouldn't bother to do it twice.

MY guess is that there is a 99% chance that the transaction registered with the state and that is all that they care about. They don't care if you or the other party are unable to get a copy.

I look at it as their problem (CJIS)!

Back
Top Bottom