Electronic FA-10

as far as having a copy of it is that a mandated thing that your suppose to have?

Not mandated, but let me paint a few scenarios where it might be advantageous to have a signed copy of the FA-10 and a signed bill of sale.

- 1998 law set some "grandfather" dates for guns in-state that need not comply with the BS in that law. No MA Dealer is supposed to transfer any handguns that aren't either grandfathered or meet the EOPS List/AG Regs combo. By having that documentation if I want to sell my old guns (or more likely when I die and my Wife wants to sell them) a MA Dealer can KNOW that he's not violating the law by putting them up for sale in MA at the high MA premium. Without the paper, many MA Dealers will REFUSE to take the guns or only give the widow pocket change for the gun (and then sell them out of state for decent money).

- As discussed currently on another forum, it seems to be the practice in some states that if a CCW permit holder is carrying and stopped by LE for a MV violation, that they run the S/N of the guns on the person (or in the car in some cases) to check for stolen guns. As I posted in that other forum, there is NO LEGAL way for a dealer or citizen to ensure that the gun you buy legitimately wasn't stolen at some time in the past (and may have been recovered, but not removed from the stolen S/N list in NCIC). If there is a hit, you can be sure of legal trouble. Being able to produce a signed FA-10 and bill of sale could keep the legal bills to a minimum vs. a criminal charge (and permanent record even if found innocent) for possession of a stolen gun (each state has different wording but you get the idea).

i see your point there Lens...while we are on this topic mind if I pick your brain some more. My dad has a gun collection of about 30 plus guns(even his first gun as a young teen) He has the beginning of alzhiemers and I did not grow up with him either. So being the only gun guy in the family I will most likely inherit these guns at some point. His memory isnt the greatest and I have zero clue if he ever registered these guns. Hes kind of stubborn and doesnt mention if they were registered at any point(partially due to his memory loss) so that being said when that time comes how much of a pain is that gonna be trying to get all these things transfered to me? Some he has allready gifted me and those are the ones I wanna register(my PD has some paper FA-10's im picking up later. I am not even sure what he has in his safe and if they are all mass compliant. I wanna keep them in the family due to sentimental value but being a new gun guy this is all very confusing to me. thanks again for any info you can throw my way
j

Please read the Inheritance thread (sticky), it will answer all your questions including procedure.

First, I'm sorry to hear about his condition. I watched my Sister go that way for 5 years . . . it's a very cruel disease.

Second, make sure he writes his wishes wrt the guns in his Will and do it very soon. [He doesn't have to list them. A simple "I leave all my firearms and accessories to Magg" will do.]

If that is done, you can just drive over and pick them up and FA-10 them as "registration". No FFLs, no worries about dumb-ass Lists and whether or not he ever registered them is irrelevant.

Good luck.

I just went to my PD and asked for some FA-10's and was told that they were no longer using them and given a printout of a web page with eFA-10 info. I told the lady that I refuse to use an online web page to transfer guns and asked her to order me some FA-10's. She had no idea how to do that.

The next day I called the CHSB and told them that folks without computers could not transfer firearms in my town. I suggested to them that bringing a gun into the library for an eFA-10 was not such a good idea and they need to send over a supply of FA-10's. I gave them the PD address and an officers name. Three days later I got an e-mail from the officer saying to come pick up my forms. They sent him 14 forms and I took 3 for my personal use.

During my phone call I asked if there were plans to stop using the paper forms. The guy told me that they would be providing paper forms because not everyone had a computer blah blah blah.

Hope this helps....

I just went to my PD and asked for some FA-10's and was told that they were no longer using them and given a printout of a web page with eFA-10 info. I told the lady that I refuse to use an online web page to transfer guns and asked her to order me some FA-10's. She had no idea how to do that.

The next day I called the CHSB and told them that folks without computers could not transfer firearms in my town. I suggested to them that bringing a gun into the library for an eFA-10 was not such a good idea and they need to send over a supply of FA-10's. I gave them the PD address and an officers name. Three days later I got an e-mail from the officer saying to come pick up my forms. They sent him 14 forms and I took 3 for my personal use.

During my phone call I asked if there were plans to stop using the paper forms. The guy told me that they would be providing paper forms because not everyone had a computer blah blah blah.

Hope this helps

Same story from my PD so I called the CHSB and had them send a buch to my pd.

Out with my daughter for a haircut this morning, decided to stop by PD to see if they had a couple FA-10s. After explaining what exactly they were to the nice lady in dispatch, she handed me 2. Out of curiousity, asked how many forms were left, she said a small stack.

Where can one get access to the PDF forms? All the links I have clicked on related to that appear to be dead links.

Thanks

Just a note folks, GOAL says there is a problem with the E-FA10 and we should not use it until they work things out with the Executive Office of Public Safety. Get a hardcopy from your Police Station or contact GOAL and ask them to send you some. Go to www.goal.org for and read Jim Wallace's explanation. One of the issues is that the form actually is registering guns which is not a requirement in MA and we never want it to be.

I think Ellar is referring to the misleading/false verbiage printed on the main E-FA10 screen. It contains several falsehoods about what the law actuallly requires.

-Mike

A buddy of mine just recently completed a FTF sale using the PDF form linked earlier in the thread.

He sent it in the mail, and the state sent it back with a denial notice stating the PDF forms were not acceptable.

Apparently they sent back an almost identical form, the only difference being it was purple. He entered the info through the online system.

A buddy of mine just recently completed a FTF sale using the PDF form linked earlier in the thread.

He sent it in the mail, and the state sent it back with a denial notice stating the PDF forms were not acceptable.

Apparently they sent back an almost identical form, the only difference being it was purple. He entered the info through the online system.

It sounds like they sent him a carbon FA-10...?

Is he someone you trust? Can you have him post in this thread?

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...s-of-pdf-paper-FA-10-form-rejection-by-MA-FRB

Or at least get the details from him (when he sent it, when it was rejected, etc) and post it here...

It sounds like they sent him a carbon FA-10...?

Is he someone you trust? Can you have him post in this thread?

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...s-of-pdf-paper-FA-10-form-rejection-by-MA-FRB

Or at least get the details from him (when he sent it, when it was rejected, etc) and post it here...

Yes, he's a solid, trustworthy guy.

I'll see if I can get some more details this weekend, I had only spoken with him briefly today. He's not a member, but if he's cool with it I'll post up the details.

I almost hate to say this here, but I will say that I bought a pistol from a guy and he wanted to use the online FA-10. So I went in while telling him how screwed up it was and problems guys were having.... it was easy and seemed to work fine, giving me the option to dwnld and print the transaction when completed...

Yes, he's a solid, trustworthy guy.

I'll see if I can get some more details this weekend, I had only spoken with him briefly today. He's not a member, but if he's cool with it I'll post up the details.

Yeah, we don't need anything too personal..... namely just the date he sent it in, that way we can say "well, at least as of Febuary XX, they started rejecting the PDF. "

-Mike

I opened the PDF, filled out all the boxes that I could on my PC, printed out 3 copies and brought it to the sale. Filled in the buyers info in all three copys, gave him one, kept one and mailed the state one.

I opened the PDF, filled out all the boxes that I could on my PC, printed out 3 copies and brought it to the sale. Filled in the buyers info in all three copys, gave him one, kept one and mailed the state one.

Oh, I thought when you said you used the E FA-10 that you used the online thing.

Reading this thread, it seems like the paper forms people are talking about are some 3-page forms, serial-numbered, with carbon in the middle.

However, I've just seen a paper unique serial-numbered form that is only one page. Has this replaced the 3-page form?

Back
Top Bottom