• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

educate me on the 10/22

At present, I am without a rifle. I know, I lose my NES membership immediately upon such an admission.

But I am trying to rectify that with a new AR at some point and the other day, I got to thinking about .22s - while I know you basically have to be willing to service Caitlyn Jenner to get the ammo these days, I am looking at something that will be an economical shooter to focus on the fundamentals.

Ive looked at MP1522s, the AR a like by Mossberg....but I am more drawn to the 10/22 I saw the other day. So a few questions -

ARe these things really among the best offerings for .22 rifles?

How accurate are they? Reliable? Anything that compares remotely in terms of parts/mags availability?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

1. You should be ashamed of yourself for not already having one.
2. You should stop what you're doing and go buy one.
3. There are a couple cheap mods that make it infinitely better than stock.
4. Tech Sights.
5. The rotary mags are very dependable.
6. Mine has a wood stock but I've shot one with a Hogue stock and Oh Em Gee is it nice. If I bought another I'd put a Hogue on it.

ETA: I believe the only part I upgraded on mine was the hammer, which I replaced with a VQ hammer.

Last edited:
4. Tech Sights.
6. Mine has a wood stock but I've shot one with a Hogue stock and Oh Em Gee is it nice. If I bought another I'd put a Hogue on it.

This.

At present, I am without a rifle. I know, I lose my NES membership immediately upon such an admission.

But I am trying to rectify that with a new AR at some point and the other day, I got to thinking about .22s - while I know you basically have to be willing to service Caitlyn Jenner to get the ammo these days, I am looking at something that will be an economical shooter to focus on the fundamentals.

Ive looked at MP1522s, the AR a like by Mossberg....but I am more drawn to the 10/22 I saw the other day. So a few questions -

ARe these things really among the best offerings for .22 rifles?

How accurate are they? Reliable? Anything that compares remotely in terms of parts/mags availability?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I have a 10/22 takedown. Really enjoy it. I am a bum and get decent groups at 50yd (see below from this weekend)

No major reliability issues but that prob has more to do with ammo. All in all it was money well spent. Dicks had it on deep discount for black friday last year which inspired the purchase.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150609_105735.jpg
    ForumRunner_20150609_105735.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 77
Like the AR that is a Lego set for big kids, the 10/22 is similar. You can modify it up the kazoo, spend tons of money to make it whatever you want.

OOB it is a great shooting gun, good for plinking, teaching newbies or target shooting. Tech Sights make it great for target shooting.

I highly recommend that everyone should have at least one of these guns.

+1 on ToddDubya's #2, go buy one....or better yet buy two. Leave one stock and upgrade the crap out of the other one.

I have two, one is a standard wood stock version and the other is the International version with the full Mannlicher stock, and I love them both [smile]

Last edited:
And you'll want to do the Auto Bolt Release mod. I can't access the YouseTubes but look there for directions on how to do it. It takes a few minutes and makes reloads infinitely nicer. Why Ruger still doesn't make this part of their stock offering I don't know. You know how every other gun lets you pull back the bolt to charge it with a fresh mag? Well the 10/22 requires fiddling with some stupid lever to do so unless you do a bit of filing.

Most 10/22 will eat anything. They like to be run wet. Accuracy depends on the barrel but I have no trouble hitting steel at 100 yards off hand. Reliability is excellent. Magazines are excellent (even a few prebans are out there) and you can get a small triangle part that holds three 10 rd rotary mags together for convenience.

As others have said, the 10/22 is probably second only to the AR for aftermarket parts, upgrades, and interchangeability. A lot of guys will buy one for the receiver and swap out everything else: fire control group, barrel, firing pin, stock etc. Or you can buy a wood stock model for dirt cheap and shoot the snot out of it.

Parts are inexpensive and easy to replace, availability is excellent, and Ruger is usually good to deal with.

The only down side is that it's a .22 and I get bored of shooting a pop gun quickly...

Honestly, I don't get the point. I don't hunt squirrels, at my range rimfire is limited to 100 yards at most, and I don't see the point of spending hundreds to make it all tacticool when it's still just a .22. Sure, it's probably fun to plink some cans or something... for five minutes. I really want to like the concept of a .22 rifle but I just can't justify it. I don't know when I'd ever shoot it! Thoughts?

Hey Chris - don't overthink this, just go buy one.
Out of the box they're a blast and accurate enough for most needs.

After that - dude, it's like a lego set for grownups.
There are more freaking parts available for a 1022 than you would believe.
In fifteen minutes with a catalog and a credit card you can turn it into a 1200$ gun that shoots just a teeny bit better. [rofl]

Seriously though, they're available in a lot of different configurations, you can save yourself some money by figuring out what stock you like, (wood, plastic, thumbhole), what kind of optic, (if any), and look for those so you're not replacing them immediately.

Honestly, I don't get the point. I don't hunt squirrels, at my range rimfire is limited to 100 yards at most, and I don't see the point of spending hundreds to make it all tacticool when it's still just a .22. Sure, it's probably fun to plink some cans or something... for five minutes. I really want to like the concept of a .22 rifle but I just can't justify it. I don't know when I'd ever shoot it! Thoughts?

When you shoot it side-by-side with an AR or AK its mind numbingly boring. The guys I know who have fun with it just go and shoot the .22 on its own. For me the cost is negligible for a nice rifle that occasionally gets shot. Really, the cost of a 10/22 is the same as an accessory for my AR or AK so there is no money commitment.

Yup.
Yup.
Yup.
Yup.
Yup, and BTW .22 ammo is not impossible or outrageous to get any more. I picked up a couple of 500+ boxes for reasonable money from a few locations lately.

Go for it.

Its just cheap to shoot.. If you have cooler guns you may not like a .22 personally find it kind of boring, don't have the coin for "cooler" guns so it'll do. Someday it'll be the first gun my daughter shoots(2yo right now.) However, if you ever needed to eat a squirrel, for w.e dissaster scenario id hope to have a 10/22 can carry tons of ammo light weight, try eating a rabbit after you only had a .308 on you lol

- - - Updated - - -

8.99$ for 100 round remington

My one dedicated .22 rifle has not come out of the safe in probably 3 years. Granted, it's a Mossberg Plinkster and an unreliable piece of junk, but I can't totally disagree with you. I mainly bought it for the kids, but once they shot some 5.56, they wouldn't even look at the .22

What I do shoot more often is my CMMG conversion kit in my ARs. I like to set up a steel silhouette at 50 yards, shoot subsonic ammo without ear protection, and just dump mags into the little metal bastard.

The 10/22 is a great rifle and, as stated, can be modified to your hearts content. For working on fundamentals, I prefer my old bolt action 22s... my 1943 Remington Match Master and my Springfield 1922 M2 as they have the size and heft of the full size rifles which I love shooting.

Fine, here's a picture! [smile]

For me, the point is FUN. Seriously. 22's are fun to shoot.
We had a rimfire silhouette match at my club sunday, good time.

When I was done, I went up to the pistol range and played with a couple of nines for a while.
It's nice having choices.

don't get out much i guess, .22 ammo is everywhere, at least in my area. four seasons has had plenty in for a while, saw it at dicks, walmart in salem nh

anyway, i just started shooting my 10/22 after it's 20 year snooze in my safe. i remember now...freakin' boring unless you're plinking at something besides paper. and the more it moves, explodes, and splinters on impact, the better.

Somebody even makes tannerite targets for .22 to spice up the target shooting.

I find punching holes in paper exceedingly boring so the plink of a .22 on steel at 100 yards brings a smile to my face. Not as much as a 75 round mag dump on my AK but a smile nonetheless.

4. Tech Sights.

ETA: I believe the only part I upgraded on mine was the hammer, which I replaced with a VQ hammer.

I'd just like to point out that if one buys the 10/22 Anniversary edition, you don't need to buy tech sights and can still mount an optic.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/RUGER-TH-ANNIVERSARY-RIFLES/1856597.uts

ruger-50th.jpg

However, the anniversary edition is not listed on Ruger's website now so I'm not sure if you can still buy it new. Frankly, Ruger should still sell it because it is the perfect 10/22.

Don't overlook the Marlin Model 60. It costs a little less than the 10-22 and is very fun/accurate. It does use a 14-18 round tube mag. The advantage is that tube-feds do not fall under the Modern Sporting Weapons Ban the state of Masstardia clings too. If you go for a 10-22, you're stuck with the 10 rounder unless you can find preban mags.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd just like to point out that if one buys the 10/22 Anniversary edition, you don't need to buy tech sights and can still mount an optic.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/RUGER-TH-ANNIVERSARY-RIFLES/1856597.uts

ruger-50th.jpg

However, the anniversary edition is not listed on Ruger's website now so I'm not sure if you can still buy it new. Frankly, Ruger should still sell it because it is the perfect 10/22.

Wont the terrifying looking death killly kill kill thing at the end of the barrel be illegal in Masstardia?

Don't overlook the Marlin Model 60. It costs a little less than the 10-22 and is very fun/accurate. It does use a 14-18 round tube mag. The advantage is that tube-feds do not fall under the Modern Sporting Weapons Ban the state of Masstardia clings too. If you go for a 10-22, you're stuck with the 10 rounder unless you can find preban mags.

- - - Updated - - -

Wont the terrifying looking death killly kill kill thing at the end of the barrel be illegal in Masstardia?

No pistol grip... That said I don't like the flash hider Ruger seems to be in love with personally.

I like my 10/22. My range has 25/50 & 100 yard steal targets for handguns and 22 rilfe set up for you, so running 200 rounds of 22 for fun on an afternoon is quick and enjoyable.

No pistol grip... That said I don't like the flash hider Ruger seems to be in love with personally.

I like my 10/22. My range has 25/50 & 100 yard steal targets for handguns and 22 rilfe set up for you, so running 200 rounds of 22 for fun on an afternoon is quick and enjoyable.

The 10/22 with flash hiders use standard 1/2x28 threads so any standard 5.56mm AR15 flash hider will mount. So If you don't like the Ruger one, go find one you like the look of and slap it on there.

Auto bolt release, green mt barrel, hogue stock and decent glass and it's an amazing rifle. That said stock works really well too, just add glass and so the auto bolt release

As Lank said earlier, the Marlin Model 60 is an excellent alternative for a little less coin, but in my opinion can be a whole lot more fun as it has an "extended capacity" magazine tube and there's no way for you to misplace the magazine.

I've got an old Glenfield 60 and a newer Marlin 60 in Stainless, they're both excellent rifles and I found them to be a more accurate than a stock 10/22. If you don't plan on modifying the 10/22, give an older Model 60 a gander, you won't be disappointed.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't think of a scenario where I would rather have 18 rounds in a tube load rather than a handful of 10rd mags.

i will buy one someday...i shot my buddy's 10/22 and i liked it a lot...it's a good cheap rifle, cheap to shoot, reliable, many upgrades available, quiet to shoot, great to teach someone to shoot with...but at the moment i'm hoping to get to the range soon so i can dial in the scope i bought for my remington nylon 66 and see if it holds it's accuracy...similar to the 10/22 the nylon 66 is reliable and not ammo picky but it's even more simple, i never need to clean it and it holds 14 rounds in the stock, but there aren't any upgrades for it and the barrels are sometimes not stable in the stock which can cause it to not be very accurate...if it holds true i will probably put off buying a 10/22 cause i don't need two 22s as i barely have enough time to shoot 1...if it doesn't hold true it will go back into storage and i'll be picking one up i'm sure

I can't think of a scenario where I would rather have 18 rounds in a tube load rather than a handful of 10rd mags.
This. Take that model 60 to a plate shoot and youll see its disadvantages.....you know.....when you move to the next station and everyone is watching you reload

Back
Top Bottom