• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

educate me on the 10/22

I've got no complaints with my 10/22. Inexpensive and fun to shoot. Enjoyable to empty an entire mag for the equivalent of about 60 cents. The last 8+ trips to different LGSes, they've all had 22lr. I'm no great shot and I can hit the 100 yd steel target pretty reliably standing up.

This. Take that model 60 to a plate shoot and youll see its disadvantages.....you know.....when you move to the next station and everyone is watching you reload

Or an Appleseed event.

AngelKing, just get it over with and go buy a 10/22, then go to an Appleseed event to learn how to shoot it.

I have a ruger american bolt .22 blued with the composite stock. I added a cheap scope and a bi-pod. Ridiculously accurate. In that configuration on the bench it is not even fair. My daughters are young so it's their favorite to shoot. I am planning on next gun being the 10/22 take down. I don't really need the takedown model. I just think it's cool and other threads have noted that it is still very accurate.

From all I have read about .22's this Ruger company seem to be doing it just about as good if not better than anyone. Just look at what they offer for the 10/22. Has to be something there for everyone...

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022/index.html

It's your money though. You need to feel comfortable with what you get for your cash.

I still have my old Marlin Glenfield Mod. 25 that I bought in 1974...not a tack driver but I can still drop gray squirrels out of trees at about 50 yards with iron sights... Just gotta know where the point of aim is on it which I've learned after shooting tens of thousands of rounds through it. [grin]

I've thought about putting some optics on it but so far haven't felt like I really needed to.

.22's are great, cheap to shoot guns.

Damn accurate, damn reliable. I'm the 2nd owner of mine and I have personally put over 20K rounds through it. Mostly federal bulk. No problems at all. Of course I have had the occasional failure to fire, but that was always the ammo. Any that didn't go off always had a nice deep strike on the rim.

There are tons of after market parts for it. You can take it as far as you want in regards to customization. Go buy one today you won't regret it.

I have a lot of fun with mine. I bought some golf balls from a driving range, put some small eye screws into them and hung them from some wood strapping that i stick into the berm. They are pretty fun reactive targets.

Or an Appleseed event.

AngelKing, just get it over with and go buy a 10/22, then go to an Appleseed event to learn how to shoot it.

THIS.

I've got five 10/22s set up in all different configurations.

We have 7 of them. 1 takedown with tech sights, my 1989 stainless, 2 liberty training rifles set up with sights and slings for my kids, and 2 more with bolt holds, better buffers, massaged triggers and Nikon glass. Then we have a stock one that just sits up in NH, with a BX-25 filled with mini-mags hanging out of it. It is a terrific rifle to bring first time shooters out with, cheap to shoot, easy to upgrade. We've taken small game with them.

Yes...Do It !!!!

I have had one since I was eighteen....My first gun...I remember it coming out of the opening and on the conveyor at Service Merchandise in Framingham/Natick......It's the greatest .22 around. last month Ruger sent me a new stock for a defect. Nice Customer Service...A must in everyones safe! [thumbsup]

No argument with tube reloading- it is a little time consuming.

Try this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/51...agazine-rifle-ammunition-loader-polymer-clear

GNS-120.jpg

Somebody even makes tannerite targets for .22 to spice up the target shooting.

I find punching holes in paper exceedingly boring so the plink of a .22 on steel at 100 yards brings a smile to my face. Not as much as a 75 round mag dump on my AK but a smile nonetheless.

.22s are more fun with interactive targets. Like taking an old laptop and using a .22 to saw off the screen at the hinges. Or taking some old abused golf balls and doing chip shots with a 22, etc. appliance hunting, etc. Of course its getting harder and harder to find places to do this stuff because most clubs are full douche mode nowadays.

-Mike

Do it .
You won't regret it.
Bought mine in the 80's and the only thing that's been replaced on it is the extractor.
I shot the piss out of that thing over the years and it's now the wife's by eminent domain.
She can pick a paintball off a golf tee at 30 yards with it.
I never got the whole takedown model thing , but to each their own.

You'll see your wallet all the time. You just won't see any money in it [laugh]

Yep, I can vouch for that. I picked up a 10/22 as one of my first purchases. decided I needed to make some upgrades, you know the basics like extended mag release, auto bolt release, and Que bolt tuning. One thing lead to the next. Decided to upgrade the barrel, looked at Clark custom barrels. Well hell figured if I was ordering a barrel, I would just order a new trigger group. Then I figured time to get a new stock, so I looked at some stocks and picked one out. I wanted to upgrade and try out a Kidd bolt, so I ordered one. Wow, the only thing on the entire thing that was made by Ruger was the Receiver. So I ordered a Volq receiver and hell, now I have two Ruger 10/22's.

So yes , grab a 10/22.

I had a takedown and sold it. Fine rifle too but limited to the OEM stock.

the standard 10/22 is pretty fun. I have an ATI fiberforce stock fits great makes it fun at the range. If you enjoy modifying and tweaking a rifle then the 10/22 is for you.

also wile its 22lr and many consider the round weak, a 22lr coming from a rifle is a whole differet animal than pistol. The rifle puts excellent velocity and makes the round far more lethal. 36gr HP rounds will expand much better out of a rifle. Also the 10/22 eats anything even shitty ammo.

My two cents...

I had a 10-22 and was not happy because I wanted something more accurate for long range shooting than a semi-auto could provide. So I sold it and bought a CZ Military trainer ... Love the CZ and love shooting 100 yard groups with my Nikon Rimfire Scope.... then got a little bored of single shot bolt action target practice .... so I went out and bought another 10-22 .... Now I shoot both. Would not try and beat the CZ at shooting 100 yard groups but love shooting at the 200 yard 'gong' with the 10-22. It's accurate enough to hit the 12 inch plate at 200 yards every time with CCI Mini Mags.

I had a 10/22 with a 1" scope, forget what it was exactly, but it was great at 100 yards. I still think it was one of the best rifles I ever owned, and its high on my short list for rebuilding my collection.. I think the new ones have too much plastic. Go old school wood and mettle.

Despite all the fun NES ribbing over shooting a girl/kid gun, the 10/22 is a great rifle to have- whether your first or not. If you get the itch to modify it, there are MANY options. Here's the one I modded almost 20 years ago:

10-22.jpg

Wish I could remember who made the stock- Turner? Barrel, sear, etc. all Volquartsen. With match ammo I shot 96/100 on NRA A-17 target at 50 yards. A-17 is supposed to be for 50 feet and has a 0.15" 10 ring. Our club wanted to make it interesting. Anyway, you could probably build something better and literally shoot the heads off of matches at 50 yards or just have fun as-is. Go for it!

I'd just like to point out that if one buys the 10/22 Anniversary edition, you don't need to buy tech sights and can still mount an optic.

However, the anniversary edition is not listed on Ruger's website now so I'm not sure if you can still buy it new. Frankly, Ruger should still sell it because it is the perfect 10/22.

I f you can't find one of these, Nodak Spud has similar aftermarket rear sights with a rail.

NDS-22.htm

Back
Top Bottom