EDITORIAL IN CAPE CODE TIMES TODAY

Here is the apparent source for the cited statistics. It's based on all deaths, with 2000 census figures for population and 2005 mortality data. Death rates are "age-adjusted". I'm guessing that's an important part of why MA is so low on the list.

http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparemaptable.jsp?ind=113&cat=2

Notes:

Age-adjusted rates per 100,000 U.S. standard population. Populations used for computing death rates are postcensal estimates based on the 2000 census estimated as of July 1, 2004. Since death rates are affected by the population composition of a given area, age-adjusted death rates should be used for comparisons between areas because they control for differences in population composition. Data are for 2005.

The July 1st 2005 population estimates for Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi do not reflect population changes that occurred after Hurricane Katrina on August 29, 2005. The populations of these three states and of Orleans parish in Louisiana, Baldwin and Mobile counties in Alabama, and George, Harrison, and Rankin counties in Mississippi were reduced following Hurricane Katrina; East Baton Rouge parish in Louisiana had an increased population. As a result, 2005 death rates for these areas (except East Baton Rouge) calculated using these population estimates will be too low; the death rates calculated for East Baton Rouge will be somewhat too high. Death rates for Orleans parish are especially affected. Alternative population estimates for these areas are being developed by the National Cancer Institute and will be available on their web site soon.
Sources:

United States Department of Health and Human Services (US DHHS), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. Compressed Mortality File 1999-2005. CDC WONDER On-line Database, compiled from Compressed Mortality File 1999-2005 Series 20 No. 2K, 2008. Accessed at http://wonder.cdc.gov/cmf-icd10.html on 8/1/2008.

Definitions:

Causes of death attributable to firearm mortality include ICD-10 Codes W32-W34, Accidental discharge of firearm; Codes X72-X74, Intentional self-harm by firearm; X93-X95, Assault by firearm; Y22-Y24, Firearm discharge, undetermined intent; and Y35, Legal intervention involving firearm discharge. Deaths from injury by firearms exclude deaths due to explosives and other causes indirectly related to firearms.

Using the same sites stats MA has the 3rd lowest death rate over all behind HI and MN SOOO as has been speculated very, very often on this site, our low numbers of firearms deaths may be more related to our good healthcare vs gun laws working.

Terraformer, thank you for taking the time to examine this question more closely. I have a professional interest but unfortunately time is just too short right now. It will be interesting to see what they actually did and more importantly what is the justification. A rebuttal might be easier to understand if it starts with a scenario in which age adjustment is helpful. Then you can show why its application in this case is so misleading, whether it is a matter of poor analysis or poor interpretation.

It appears there may be two sources of hinkiness to these numbers. I have a very valid example of why age adjustment can be very valid (my MA thesis) but I don't think the age adjustment is the source of the huge differences between what we are seeing on the ground and the numbers he is quoting. I finally got a call back late in the day and I have the source on the age adjustments. They are using a standard direct age adjustment (I assumed a different, more radical methodology), which I still think may not be methodologically valid in this case, but it is not the source of the wide swings between the bureau of criminal statistics numbers and the CDC's numbers. It appears the inclusion of non criminal firearms deaths, predominately suicides, in the Kaiser numbers (based on the CDCs numbers) is skewing things. I had no idea suicides with firearms was actually a larger source of deaths than all other firearms deaths combined (homicides, cops killing perps, accidents). It truly is eye opening what it is they are trying to protect us from (ourselves basically). I will have more time in the next few days and I plan on answering these questions and button up a few loose ends that I don't believe have been before. I need to see if I can get the resolution on the non-fatal injury numbers to really add some value here, otherwise I suspect the answers will not be of any surprise to anyone, but I will still write the editors.

Using the same sites stats MA has the 3rd lowest death rate over all behind HI and MN SOOO as has been speculated very, very often on this site, our low numbers of firearms deaths may be more related to our good healthcare vs gun laws working.

I actually think I have the data to answer that question, but I am not sure I can get it in the resolution I need it in. If I can find it on a metro area basis and state basis, I can compare rates of injury v. rates of death between the metro areas and the state as a whole. IF I can find the resolution I need.

.....didn't you ever read the laws Mr. Kelley?......or are you just another one of this state's long line of political hacks who got their job through a friend, relative or political favor?

What an a**h***!

Matt Kelley is one of the brightest and sharpest young ADA's in the state right know. The comment did not sound too good from him though.............

He is far from an a**h***!

Matt Kelley is one of the brightest and sharpest young ADA's in the state right know. The comment did not sound too good from him though.............

He is far from an a**h***!

If he's that bright and sharp, why would he possibly ask such a stupid question? If he has ever glanced through the governing body of law he should know the answer to his question.

Its apparent that when it comes to guns, he thinks more emotionally than rationally as do most in this state.

Perhaps he should recognize that his function is not to curtail the rights of citizens but to facilitate them, and knowing what they are would be a good start.

Seems he has the process bass ackwards. Unless something is specifically prohibited by law, it is not an offense.

He doesn't sound too bright to me.

Back
Top Bottom