• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Eastern Rifle and Revolver Club - Lynn

Went to the range today around 11:30 AM. No one around at that time. Everything was clean and well lit, heat and ventilation was good. Took my .22 Marlin, .22 Sig Mosquito and .40 Sig P239 and went through 200 rounds. I made sure to leave it cleaner than I found it. I only live about 1/2 mile from there, near Paminos. We should have a little NES shoot around.

ok folks, here's the scoop. I am a current member. $100 initiation fee, $90 per year. must be a NRA member. so if you go there on a wednesday night between 7-9 you can join for $190+35 for NRA if you are not only a member. shooting times are 7 days a week from 8am to 10pm. keycard access. everytime i go, i go with about 4 people, and we are usually the only ones there. any handgun rounds except magnums are permitted, and only .22 rifle. they do have a .22 pistol team, but i don't know much about it at this time. upstairs is a pool table, dartboards, and kitchen. sodas are in the fridge per honor system of .50 cents. not a bad place to bring your kid, or inexperienced shooter, because you are pretty much the only ones there, so it's easy for instructions. in the past few years they've installed a new ventilation system, so it's not as bad as it used to be. at the past meeting, i spoke with them about getting in some steel plate racks, and a setup for some pin shooting. if anyone has any further questions, or if you live local and just wanna check it out, PM me. I am usually there every friday night, and don't mind giving a tour, and letting you shoot!

That is the one thing i used to like about going there when I was younger. I would go with my father and his friend who is a member. We were always the only ones shooting.

Digging up an old thread but I went here for my live fire session during my safety coarse and ended up shooting the best in my class. it was a little dark but seems like a decent place to go shoot and i live in peabody so its not far from my house. Once i get my ltc ill have to swing by there on a wednesday and see what people are shooting because right now all i know is that I want a handgun, not sure what kind. I dont think ill be buying a rifle anytime soon just because im still in school so money is pretty tight, i think id be better off with somethin I can shoot as is and still have some fun with.

Digging up an old thread but I went here for my live fire session during my safety coarse and ended up shooting the best in my class. it was a little dark but seems like a decent place to go shoot and i live in peabody so its not far from my house. Once i get my ltc ill have to swing by there on a wednesday and see what people are shooting because right now all i know is that I want a handgun, not sure what kind. I dont think ill be buying a rifle anytime soon just because im still in school so money is pretty tight, i think id be better off with somethin I can shoot as is and still have some fun with.

Congratulations! I live right down the street from there, but ended up getting a membership at Mystic Valley Gun Club instaead. It's about a 15 minute drive for me, but I like it a lot better.
One additional advantage of handgun shooting is that you can do it ay any club. If you have a rifle, (other than a 22) you cannot shoot it at Eastern or at MVGC.

Congratulations! I live right down the street from there, but ended up getting a membership at Mystic Valley Gun Club instaead. It's about a 15 minute drive for me, but I like it a lot better.
One additional advantage of handgun shooting is that you can do it ay any club. If you have a rifle, (other than a 22) you cannot shoot it at Eastern or at MVGC.

Yeah i saw that its basically mystic or eastern in these parts. Danvers fish and game is also really close to me and they have alot of stuff to offer. Ill prob end up joining either mystic or Danvers.

This is the cheapest place around by at least $100. Im strapped for money and i want to buy a decent gun so im probably going to head there tonight and pay up. So if anyone from the forum is going to be there it would be excellent to meet you.

The police detective said that he doesnt see a reason for me to get class A but if i write a decent letter and get a membership it will help. Im a great writer so the membership is key.

Last edited:
One of the reasons for a class A ALP is that it helps you from inadvertently breaking laws. My father never carried concealed, but he had the permit because when he went hunting, he kept his revolver inside his hunting coveralls. Also, if he was one his way to the range and wanted to stop someplace, he didn't have to worry aboutunloading and locking it. So for him, itcame down to convenience and ess likelihood of breaking the law. His main handgun was a single action Ruger flattop 44, so it's not like he was carrying it concealed every day. He explaining this to the chief and he was fine with it.

In terms of cost, one of the things that made Lynn cheaper was the initiation fee. For some reason, lots of places charge an initiation fee the first year, probably to stop people from joining intermittently. Let's say your chief of police wants you to have a membership. Mystic dues are only $100 a year. If there was no initiation fee, many would join the first year, let it lapse, and then four years later when they had to prove membership, they would join again. I believe that's the thinking behind it.

Lynn isn't bad, but it doesn't have the facilities of Mystic and you are not supposed to shoot at your targets any closer than 50 feet. I generally practice at 7 yards (21 feet) so that was a deciding factor for me.

What types of handguns are you towards?

on top of the fact that mangum's (.357, .44, etc) are completely prohibited @ Eastern.

only thing restricted @ MVGC is non-rimfire rifles/subguns, and handguns chambered in rifle cartridges (IE Thompson Contender in .308 or similiar). the reason? anyone who's been to MVGC has seen our target carrier system. parts for that system get VERY pricey, and rifle's have no problem punching holes through the steel supports...whereas the armor plating in place can handle a handgun cartridge.

oh yea, and its 24/7/365. we have limited times when the range(s) arent available (during matches and junior rifle, the back range is open). other than that....shoot when you want.

one thing to think about with initiation fees. most clubs are NOT privately owned. you're initiation fee is your "buy in" to the club. the membership is what keeps the doors open.

What types of handguns are you towards?
Honestly I dont even know where to start looking for what handgun i want other than Im going to go 9mm. I have been lookin around the forum and seen M&P full size, 92fs, maybe a glock. But i need to find out a lot more before i decide. I am hoping to spend around $500 on the gun and have it ready to go. any help in the right direction would be awesome.

on top of the fact that mangum's (.357, .44, etc) are completely prohibited @ Eastern.

only thing restricted @ MVGC is non-rimfire rifles/subguns, and handguns chambered in rifle cartridges (IE Thompson Contender in .308 or similiar). the reason? anyone who's been to MVGC has seen our target carrier system. parts for that system get VERY pricey, and rifle's have no problem punching holes through the steel supports...whereas the armor plating in place can handle a handgun cartridge.

oh yea, and its 24/7/365. we have limited times when the range(s) arent available (during matches and junior rifle, the back range is open). other than that....shoot when you want.

one thing to think about with initiation fees. most clubs are NOT privately owned. you're initiation fee is your "buy in" to the club. the membership is what keeps the doors open.

Well you pretty much convinced me lol. Eastern wasnt that great but its $160 cheaper. I was planning on joing mvgc when i had more money but F$%& IT i can throw down some extra money. Plus this way ill be able to shoot in 2012 without paying another fee till 2013! Ill be there tommorow at 7 to "try out" it will be my second time shooting a real gun but im pretty confident i can get score 80 with 12 shots.

Last edited:
I am interested in Eastern and live local.

Do you still go to Eastern on Friday nights??

If so the offer of a tour still stand??

Thanks!

ok folks, here's the scoop. I am a current member. $100 initiation fee, $90 per year. must be a NRA member. so if you go there on a wednesday night between 7-9 you can join for $190+35 for NRA if you are not only a member. shooting times are 7 days a week from 8am to 10pm. keycard access. everytime i go, i go with about 4 people, and we are usually the only ones there. any handgun rounds except magnums are permitted, and only .22 rifle. they do have a .22 pistol team, but i don't know much about it at this time. upstairs is a pool table, dartboards, and kitchen. sodas are in the fridge per honor system of .50 cents. not a bad place to bring your kid, or inexperienced shooter, because you are pretty much the only ones there, so it's easy for instructions. in the past few years they've installed a new ventilation system, so it's not as bad as it used to be. at the past meeting, i spoke with them about getting in some steel plate racks, and a setup for some pin shooting. if anyone has any further questions, or if you live local and just wanna check it out, PM me. I am usually there every friday night, and don't mind giving a tour, and letting you shoot!

Anyone belonging to eastern free to show me around this week? I Just came back from checking it out but was such in a rush I didn't get a good feel for it..
Any help would be much appreciated

Hello, had a question about ER&R. are they still doing the safety courses to get your FID card? And if so, any idea what the days/times are for them? I'm trying to start the process of getting my FID card and ER&R is on the list of acceptable classes.

Yes, but they are full until at least the first of the year. You can go by on any Wednesday to get information, but they told me they are full, but expect some members to drop after the first of the year.

Yes, but they are full until at least the first of the year. You can go by on any Wednesday to get information, but they told me they are full, but expect some members to drop after the first of the year.
Especially if they change to only being able to access it a couple of days a week with an RO present.

That would suck to have it ruined by some idiot. I already joined another club but I was considering joining ER&R as well because it's short money and close to my house but that doesn't sound great.

That would suck to have it ruined by some idiot. I already joined another club but I was considering joining ER&R as well because it's short money and close to my house but that doesn't sound great.

Well we shall see. I don't think it would get there, but disturbing that there is discussion about it. It is very convenient, I go during lunch often.

Back
Top Bottom