• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Early Renewal Hypothetical

Lets say that someone was to get a LTC-A tgt/hunt in a red town. They then move to a green town, who assures them they will renew, without restriction, early. They pay the fee, pass in the application, all comes back and the LTC is printed and sent, but has an issue date that is the same as the expiration date on the old LTC.

The police dept (Green town, renewal) calls the CHSB and asks them to fix the date and reprint and is told that the issuing town on the first (Restricted) LTC must send in a note saying in essence that the old LTC can be expired early so the renewal can take effect. But the red town refuses to send such a letter. Money already paid, obviously all the background checks came through ok as the license was issued, but a clerical error turns a renewal into a fight. What could be done, if anything?

But wouldnt one or the other be invalid? If you just leave it, wait 5 years and then use the license from the new town would it still be valid for its issue date, or would one have to renew, again, at that date?

I guess you lost me.....From the OP it sounds like.

Orig. restricted LTC wasn't up for renewal.

Moved to green town.... Lic. Officer said...hey, I'll "early renew your LTC and remove restrictions"

LTC holder applied in new town, paid $100 and off went the app.

NEW LTC came back unrestricted but still has the orig. expiration date. So only good for the orig. length of time.

Hence why I said.....take the new unrestricted LTC and be happy. If the hypothetical holder is still in a green town in x years then another LTC-ALP should be easy to get.

No, license came back with issue date being the original expiration date, so years until it kicks in, if its even considered to still be issued when that time comes.

Yup, call an attorney and sic them on the old town. If not, at least you got ALP in a few years!

So if you're in a green town and are considering moving to a red town (Why? How the hell should I know? Why are you in Massachusetts in the first place?), you apply for an early renewal of of your just issued unrestricted LTC-A. It's issued and the town refuses to give permission to expire the existing LTC early. You're now good to go for 12 years even though you're going to be in a red town.
[Walsh to Gittes: "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown." [rolleyes]]

Ken

Sorry about the confusion, Am now in a green town that willingly renewed and issued a LTC-a unrestricted. New LTC has an issue date 5 years in the future, expiration date 11 years in the future. Old LTC from red town is Target/hunting and lasts until the issue date of the new LTC. Old town licensing will not send the letter the Firearms records bureau requires to expire the old LTC early and allow the new one to have its issue date set to this year. (Was set in the future due to a clerical/computer error)

I know. It's just that they're silly rule (undoubtedly made up by some bored staff assistant out of thin air) creates such wonderful possibilities to screw with the system. Why if your chief was going to retire and you were afraid that the new guy was going to be a problem, you could stock up on a couple of extra renewals to cover you for the next decade or more. [wink]

Ken

Im wondering if I should perhaps go and speak to the chief in the red town and ask about letting this go and allowing the renewal, it seems to be the licensing officer who is adamant about not doing it.

The issue is the clerical error was the issue/expiration date of the lic. when the PD called to have it fixed, the FRB told them sure, we will take care of it, then a little later decided they couldnt do it unless they got a letter from the issuing town of the license I have already saying it could be expired early.

Well, the old license has to be expired by the old town before the new license can be issued... that's correct procedure. The clerical error here is in not having had that license expired first.

I was under the impression that in a renewal situation the old license simply expires when the new license is issued.

I was under the impression that in a renewal situation the old license simply expires when the new license is issued.

If the new license is issued by the same town that issued the old, it's a moot point since they just expire it right then. When you move to another town, though, the old license has to be expired first. It's a double-edged sword. On one hand you have situations like this. On the other hand, it allows licensees who received licenses in green towns and then move to red towns to keep their right to CCW, as the new town cannot expire the old license early and force a renewal.

So if I just do nothing, does the renewal license kick in on its issue date on the card, and become valid then? even though its years in the future and I may not live in the same town then.

MGL Chapter 140 Section 131i states that the license shall be valid for no more than 6 years after the date of issue. Since it's already been issued, by law, it will not be valid after 6 years have passed.

MGL Chapter 140 Section 131i states that the license shall be valid for no more than 6 years after the date of issue. Since it's already been issued, by law, it will not be valid after 6 years have passed.

Then if some idiot in frb dummied up the issue date on the license then we have a pickle, since isn't that the official issue date?

ETA: I realize this isn't the spirit of the law, but that is my point. They are the official arbiters of what is official and if the card said that date, it is the official date. The insanity is that the frb even spit this out as valid. But once they did, it would be up to someone to prove it wasn't.

Last edited:

Yeah but is the issue date when they receieved the license or the date printed on the license? [laugh]

-Mike

The thing that is lame about this is CHSB should just be able to snuff out the old license.... this "requiring the old town to expire" thing is administrative BS, probably created in an effort to deter people from working around the red towns.

-Mike

Just went through this process myself. Took a while to work it out but once all letters were sent new LTC was in my hands in 5 days. (1) Letter from me (1) Letter from new town (1) Letter from old town.

So if I just do nothing, does the renewal license kick in on its issue date on the card, and become valid then? even though its years in the future and I may not live in the same town then.

Sorry I kind of lost track of the facts. This is a good one. If you are in possession of two LTC's you need to fix this. You may want to call and make an appointment with the original chief. Bring the original LTC that he issued and explain the situation. You may want to write out the facts before you meet with him so you are well prepared.

Back
Top Bottom