Ear Pro for a person (My wife) with a small head

admcd

NES Member
So, took the wife to MFS today to get the basics of rifle shooting down before introducing her to my Mosin ([devil]). She's been before, and shoots with me often, but this is the first time she's mentioned anything about the noise - folks were shooting on either side and we were using a pistol caliber carbine. She didn't tell me until AFTER we left the range that she had some ringing in her ears - Since gone away, fortunately.

She currently has a pair of passive Winchester ear muffs. I'd like to upgrade her. My problem (and her's) is her tiny noggin - She can wear a think winter hat UNDER my size 7 1/2 Red Sox cap with a bit of room to spare. She HATES (to the point of distraction) plugs that go in her ears, so double plugging is out unless someone has the worlds most comfortable plugs to suggest. My Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs are too big on her. They bounce all over the place if she turns her head.

Anyone have any suggestions that work well from experience? Right now we're eyeballing Peltor Tactical 6S.

Last edited:
I use the Surefire Sonic Defender EP-7's...i was also not a fan of in-ear options until I tried these. I have small ear canals and the small size EP-7 are very comfortable. Amazon usually has decent prices if you can talk her into trying them out. I've yet to find a set of muffs that worked well for rifle shooting.

http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Sonic-Defender-Black-EP7-BK-LPR/dp/B00FDWND72

I use the Surefire Sonic Defender EP-7's...i was also not a fan of in-ear options until I tried these. I have small ear canals and the small size EP-7 are very comfortable. Amazon usually has decent prices if you can talk her into trying them out. I've yet to find a set of muffs that worked well for rifle shooting.

http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Sonic-Defender-Black-EP7-BK-LPR/dp/B00FDWND72

I use those EP-7s (in clear) with a set of muffs. They work great over at MFS, even when someone starts in with a shotgun. They're honestly more comfortable than any of the regular foam-type plugs I've used in the past.

I forgot who made mine, if you search the forum you will find info on two people that make custom molded ear protection. I can wear them all day comfortably.

My wife has had multiple surgeries on her jaw, both sides, so shes very sensitive to pressure so over the ear protection is a no go. She loves her molded ones. Easy in easy out comfortable, great investment.

I use mine when im shooting, mowing lawn, anytime a power tool is in my hand, or at a rock concert depending on how close i am. Lets in plenty to hear the music but drowns out the volume.

So, took the wife to MFS today to get the basics of rifle shooting down before introducing her to my Mosin ([devil]). She's been before, and shoots with me often, but this is the first time she's mentioned anything about the noise - folks were shooting on either side and we were using a pistol caliber carbine. She didn't tell me until AFTER we left the range that she had some ringing in her ears - Since gone away, fortunately.

She currently has a pair of passive Winchester ear muffs. I'd like to upgrade her. My problem (and her's) is her tiny noggin - She can wear a think winter hat UNDER my size 7 1/2 Red Sox cap with a bit of room to spare. She HATES (to the point of distraction) plugs that go in her ears, so double plugging is out unless someone has the worlds most comfortable plugs to suggest. My Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs are too big on her. They bounce all over the place if she turns her head.

Anyone have any suggestions that work well from experience? Right now we're eyeballing Peltor Tactical 6S.

Anytime I shoot indoors where anyone, (self included) is firing anything other than .22, I double up on ear protection. I'm getting older, and once your hearing's damaged, it generally doesn't come back. Years of motorcycles, shooting and hanging out in bars makes me protect what's left of my hearing.

I'm partial to the Howard Leigh ones, I've been using them for years, but I've got a couple different types hanging around because it took a while to find some that my wife liked. PM me with a mailing address and I'll send some to you; hopefully one will work for your wife.

Thank you, everyone, for the advice and suggestions.

Going to pickup a pair of the EP-7's and give them a try on her. If she can't stand them, no big loss. I'll keep 'em for loaners.

Allen-1, PM incoming. Thanks!

Thank you, everyone, for the advice and suggestions.

Going to pickup a pair of the EP-7's and give them a try on her. If she can't stand them, no big loss. I'll keep 'em for loaners.

Allen-1, PM incoming. Thanks!

You can always buy the larger sized replacement foam and use them if she ends up hating them.

I use the EP5's, and they are super comfortable. No need to squish foam or wait for it to fill in your ear canal, just push and twist them in and you're good to go!

Wife wears a small set of EP5's with some over ear muffs as well.

Since she doesn't like anything that goes in her ears and most muffs are too big I'd suggest youth muffs. My daughters wear BabyBanz, but no way those are good enough for shooting a centerfire rifle indoors (No muffs are really). I wear NR33 muffs and shoot indoors, and guys with USPSA open guns are too loud so I double up with plugs and muffs.

Since she doesn't like anything that goes in her ears and most muffs are too big I'd suggest youth muffs. My daughters wear BabyBanz, but no way those are good enough for shooting a centerfire rifle indoors (No muffs are really). I wear NR33 muffs and shoot indoors, and guys with USPSA open guns are too loud so I double up with plugs and muffs.

Thanks, Smoke. Gave them a look. Trying to get some idea of scale for them. My wife is 5'2 and 3/4 (She feels it's very important that she get credit for the last 3/4th of an inch). It looks like they're designed for pretty little kids, from toddlers up through the tween years. Trying to compare my wife's head to that of a child is somewhat disconcerting for some reason. [rofl]

Thanks, Smoke. Gave them a look. Trying to get some idea of scale for them. My wife is 5'2 and 3/4 (She feels it's very important that she get credit for the last 3/4th of an inch). It looks like they're designed for pretty little kids, from toddlers up through the tween years. Trying to compare my wife's head to that of a child is somewhat disconcerting for some reason. [rofl]

They actually fit smaller adults fairly well. We have a friend who is barely 5ft and 100lbs that fit her fine. She's in her 60's.

Last edited:
I forgot who made mine, if you search the forum you will find info on two people that make custom molded ear protection. I can wear them all day comfortably.

My wife has had multiple surgeries on her jaw, both sides, so shes very sensitive to pressure so over the ear protection is a no go. She loves her molded ones. Easy in easy out comfortable, great investment.

I use mine when im shooting, mowing lawn, anytime a power tool is in my hand, or at a rock concert depending on how close i am. Lets in plenty to hear the music but drowns out the volume.

+100. Custom molded plugs are not uncomfortable to me like foam cheapies are. Some of the metal headband ear pro you can bend the overhead band to make them tighter. Peltor tactical with the solid band and the adjustments on the side can be adjusted that way. Double up if she has sensitivity, especially indoors.

Back
Top Bottom