Dumb question

I also wonder is it some kind of law or regulation?

I think it's up there with the test targets you sometimes get with rifles showing the sub-MOA groups. Just enough to be a subtle reminder of what an awesome product you just bought, and how you should own atleast 6 more.

Every time you receive a spent shell with your new pistol, you're supposed to send it to the MSP with your name, address, license #, make and model of gun, serial #, mother's maden name, shoe size and combination for your locker from 8th grade.

[laugh][thinking]

It's for states (like Maryland & New York) who use "ballistic fingerprinting" to (try) and solve crimes. The sealed envelope with all the information on the outside is supposed to prove that the fired casing is from that exact firearm.

It's for states (like Maryland & New York) who use "ballistic fingerprinting" to (try) and solve crimes. The sealed envelope with all the information on the outside is supposed to prove that the fired casing is from that exact firearm.
Umm, er, ah, uh, that would only be useful if they sent the casing to someone that kept track of it and its tool marks...

Doesn't help much if they give it to the owner... After all, according to Deval, the lawful owners of firearms are all criminals anyway...

Yep...

New York General Business Law § 396-ff(2) requires any firearms manufacturer that ships, transports or delivers a handgun to any person in New York to include a separate sealed container with a shell casing of a bullet or projectile discharged from the handgun, along with additional information that identifies the handgun and shell casing.
A state-licensed gunsmith or firearms dealer must, within ten days of delivering a handgun received on or after March 1, 2001, forward to the Division of State Police the sealed container enclosing the shell casing from the handgun. Section 396-ff(5). The state police must enter the pertinent ballistic information into an automated electronic databank (the “Combined Ballistic Identification System” or “CoBIS”) designed to ensure compatibility with national ballistic technology. Section 396-ff(6).
For detailed information on CoBIS, see N.Y. Comp. Codes R. & Regs. tit. 9, § 472.1 et seq.

Pursuant to Maryland Code Annotated, Public Safety § 5-131(b), any manufacturer that ships or transports a handgun to be sold, rented, or transferred in Maryland shall include in the box with the handgun, in a separate sealed container:
A shell casing of a projectile discharged from that handgun; and
Additional information that identifies the type of handgun and shell casing.
Upon receipt of a handgun from the manufacturer, a firearms dealer shall confirm with the Department of State Police ("DSP") that the manufacturer complied with the provisions of section 5-131(b). Section 5-131(c)(1). When the handgun is sold, rented, or transferred, the dealer shall forward the sealed container to the DSP crime laboratory. Section 5-131(c)(2). Once received, the DSP crime laboratory shall enter the information in all pertinent databases to assist in the tracing of guns that are later stolen or used in crimes. Section 5-131

MD (and perhaps another few states) require that the original sale by a dealer must include the spent shell, which then must be sent to the MD firearms licensing unit in the sealed envelope for "registration" of the gun. Thus, it's cheaper for mfrs to ship all guns with the envelope/case. NOTE: The Dealer sends the envelope w/whatevr paperwork the state requires for registration to the state . . . in those states, the buyer never gets the envelope/casing.

For the rest of the US, it provides the first owner with a DOB of the gun w/o querying the mfr. A curiosity point now, but in 40+ years, as those guns reach "age 50" it's proof-positive that the specific gun is C&R.

Last edited:
I wonder how many of those spent shells have ever led to the solving of a crime. Call me skeptical [thinking]

This is what Ruger included on a piece of paper in the box with my new MarkIII:

Certain states require that all newly manufactured pistols and revolvers be accompanied by a cartridge case that has been test fired from that gun at the factory. The case must be placed in a sealed container bearing certain information concerning this test cartridge. At the time of retail sale in those jurisdictions with the requirement, firearms dealers must forward the test cartridge to a designated destination such as their State Police Laboratory. As independent Ruger Distributors have nationwide markets without territorial restrictions, we have decided to include a fired cartridge case with all new Ruger pistols and revolvers to minimize the possibility of inadvertent non-compliance with these laws. Retail customers located in states that do not require a fired cartridge case may be assured that the fired cartridge case they receive with the firearm at the time of retail purchase is proof that your new Ruger firearm has undergone our normal test firing procedures during manufacture.

Interestingly enough, in MD, used guns made before 1990 are exempt from this (according to a former customer of mine in MD) and in NY, if you want to purchase a new gun that is NOT provided with a spent casing (like a Colt, a Taurus, or a Rossi), your FFL can take it to the NYSP or a certified testing lab to have them fire a test shot and get a spent casing that way.

My question is why do none of the manufacturers clean the guns after firing? Every new gun I ever bought was still dirty form the test firing.

My question is why do none of the manufacturers clean the guns after firing? Every new gun I ever bought was still dirty form the test firing.

Cause they probably figure the buyer is just going to shoot it more anyways. Not a lot of residue left from shooting like 1-5 rounds through it.... [laugh]

-Mike

Cause they probably figure the buyer is just going to shoot it more anyways. Not a lot of residue left from shooting like 1-5 rounds through it.... [laugh]

-Mike

Still. You wouldn't expect road salt on your new car when you pick it up at the dealer, even in middle of winter.

And yes, I always clean and lube any firearm before taking it to the range for the first time. Which is probably the only reason I notice that they are dirty.

Back
Top Bottom