• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dumb question

Still. You wouldn't expect road salt on your new car when you pick it up at the dealer, even in middle of winter.

And yes, I always clean and lube any firearm before taking it to the range for the first time. Which is probably the only reason I notice that they are dirty.

I do too, depending on what it is.... but a tiny bit of crud from firing is nothing like "road salt".

-Mike

Didn't the MD system work once.... and it was a case, IIRC, where it didn't matter anyways? I also remember the head honcho of the state police or someone down there basically saying the whole ballistic fingerprinting system was worthless and essentially a waste of funds.

-Mike

My question is why do none of the manufacturers clean the guns after firing? Every new gun I ever bought was still dirty form the test firing.

You willing to pay more for that gun? 'Cause the manufacturer would have to pay someone to clean EVERY GUN they ship, then. I'd rather have the $$ in my pocket, instead.

Didn't the MD system work once.... and it was a case, IIRC, where it didn't matter anyways?

Got a cite for it? It'd be the FIRST case I've ever heard solved by a fired case, then.

I think it's up there with the test targets you sometimes get with rifles showing the sub-MOA groups. Just enough to be a subtle reminder of what an awesome product you just bought, and how you should own atleast 6 more.

Some states require that when you purchase a firearm in that state, you send in a certified spent casing from that firearm for balistics logging with the BATFE. MA and NH do not require this.

Got a cite for it? It'd be the FIRST case I've ever heard solved by a fired case, then.

This is from Wikipedia... but that isn't where I heard of it the first time...

Databases

Some localities, particularly Maryland, have attempted to build up a large database of "fingerprints"; in the case of the Maryland law, all new firearms sales must provide a fired case from the firearm in question to the Maryland State Police, who photograph it and log the information in a database. The Maryland State Police wrote a report critical of the program and asking the Maryland General Assembly to disband it, since it was expensive and had not contributed to solving a single crime.[3] Subsequently however, the database did provide evidence used to obtain one murder conviction at an estimated cost of 2.6 million per conviction.

What I heard at the time, though, was that even in that ONE case, it was essentially redundant evidence. EG, "this was the murder weapon and the ballistics system also confirmed this blah blah". It wasn't anything which drew law enforcement directly to the gun owner, but merely contributing evidence.

-Mike

It was essentially redundant evidence. EG, "this was the murder weapon and the ballistics system also confirmed this blah blah". It wasn't anything which drew law enforcement directly to the gun owner, but merely contributing evidence.

So, IOW, it didn't solve anything; they apparently knew who it was without it. That's about what I thought.

I don't think that manufacturers bother cleaning the gun after test firing because modern ammo is non-corrosive so no harm will be done even if the firearm sits in a box for a few years...that's my WAG. "Ballistic fingerprinting" is a HUGE waste of money, God forbid that micro stamping actually happens.

I always figured it was just a test case, so the first thing I do is open the envelope and toss it in the bin for reloading , after all one extra case to reload is one more round down range.

It's all crap.

I stick with 45 cal and always replace the barrel, firing pin, extractor and polish off the face around the firing pin and ejector. How's that for ballistic fingerprinting? No laws say I have to refile a shell casing.

To the kind gentleman that said in reply to "Christmas ornaments?" with "A cartridge in a bare tree", thanks for those!

Oh it's a complete set alright. Dude looks surprisingly like you, too. [laugh]

gun-to-your-ear-fail.jpg
and his finger is inside the trigger guard.... that piece needs a dummass guard as well

I always figured it was just a test case, so the first thing I do is open the envelope and toss it in the bin for reloading , after all one extra case to reload is one more round down range.

This......I thought it was a freebie, saying thanks for spending 500+ on our gun....here's a nice piece of brass for you to reload.

So I've been thinking about this....

How exactly are fired casings supposed to be able to match a gun to a crime scene? W/o the "microstamping" hogwash, that is.

How exactly are fired casings supposed to be able to match a gun to a crime scene? W/o the "microstamping" hogwash, that is.

Machine marks on the extractor, ejector, firing pin and chamber leave marks on the case that can be matched. At least somewhat.

Of course wear from shooting and cleaning will slowly change these over time.

Really not so different from checking the marks left by the lands on the projectile.

Machine marks on the extractor, ejector, firing pin and chamber leave marks on the case that can be matched. At least somewhat.

Of course wear from shooting and cleaning will slowly change these over time.

Really not so different from checking the marks left by the lands on the projectile.

Oh ok, that makes some sense. Thanks.

Just watch CSI - an empty casing can show you what make & model of gun, whether the shooter was shooting left-handed or right handed, and, if the shooter was female, whether or not she was having her period.

What... you don't get your gun knowledge from CSI: Worcester?

Just watch CSI - an empty casing can show you what make & model of gun, whether the shooter was shooting left-handed or right handed, and, if the shooter was female, whether or not she was having her period.

What... you don't get your gun knowledge from CSI: Worcester?

[rofl]

I do love CSI, but I also know that atleast %98 of what goes on on that show is pure horse-hockey, so I wasn't sure if the whole casing registration thing could even actually theoretically work.

ETA: And you forgot an important part....if the shooter is male, whether or not his wife/GF is having her period

Changing the extractor, firing pin, and barrel is pretty easy and a DIY proposition with most modern handguns.

Rendering ballistic fingerprinting useless.

Back
Top Bottom