Dumb Question on Long Gun Lights

That may be true, but the fact of the matter that they cost an additional 25% over surefire which is already a steep markup. I have one of each and they both run amazing. For the price of the Modlight you can buy a M600DF, respective mount and still have a little cash towards the switch. Though we aren't talking a significant difference like the step from Streamlight to Surefire in price.
Yep, but don't forget to take advantage of rich larpers who got bored. That difference can get deleted quick

Understood. I just figured your model wouldn’t have the side switch at all, rather than them reconfiguring how the button functions.

I dunno about the ones with IR. I just double-checked what I've posted here against the AR pistol I have in my office. I have the Inforce mounted on the top so that I can manipulate the controls with my left hand, (I'm right handed). With the switch flipped forward, it's ON/OFF, with the switch flipped back, it's momentary ON.

I put a Smith & Wesson Weapon Light on my shtf AR carbine. It is bright AF @ 900 lumens. I wouldn't want it shined at my eyes, that's for sure. Has high, low, strobe and momentary. It came with a remote pressure switch but it's still in the package. MLOK & Keymod mount incl. I just read it and it's NOT recommended for a handgun, though.

At $56 or so I thought it was very reasonably priced vs many of the others. Rugged but lightweight and waterproof aluminum body is impact & recoil resistant (maybe a thousand rounds of 5.56 & .223 & it still works great). I thought it was a good value.

I won't copy the amazon URL, but search for:

"Smith & Wesson M&P Delta Force RM 2xCR123 900 Lumen MLOK KeyMod Mountable Flashlight with 4 Modes, Waterproof Construction and Memory Retention"

Here's one of the only pics I have of it. mounted very forward on the left side of the rail.

Here 20181109_124657[1].jpg

Last edited:
I switched from surefires to modlites on my business-time guns in the past year. The output is bananas and 18650's and 18350's are so much better than an endless stream of CR123s (Although I still have an endless demand for CR123s).
I think the PLH are prob the most useful, but the OKW's are outstanding for throw. I got one of the PLH V2 heads yesterday and it seems to be the best of both worlds. These simply do not compare to the Surefire Scout's in terms of downrange output.
Incidentally, I have started carrying a OKW handheld in my pack hikes in the mountains. In the past years I have run into situations at night where my headlight (450 lumen petzl) and my EDC handheld (surefire tactician) are woefully under powered to identify trailmarks (especially above the tree line). The OKW is an absolute beast and has a throw that projects over 100's of yards and can punch through enviromental barriers like snow, rain, fog.
It might not be useful for everyone, but for the role it plays, it is spectacular.

Last edited:
I switched from surefires to modlites on my business-time guns in the past year. The output is bananas and 18650's and 18350's are so much better than an endless stream of CR123s (Although I still have an endless demand for CR123s).
I think the PLH are prob the most useful, but the OKW's are outstanding for throw. I got one of the PLH V2 heads yesterday and it seems to be the best of both worlds. These simply do not compare to the Surefire Scout's in terms of downrange output.
Incidentally, I have started carrying a OKW handheld in my pack hikes in the mountains. In the past years I have run into situations at night where my headlight (450 lumen petzl) and my EDC handheld (surefire tactician) are woefully under powered to identify trailmarks (especially above the tree line). The OKW is an absolute beast and has a throw that projects over 100's of yards and can punch through enviromental barriers like snow, rain, fog.
It might not be useful for everyone, but for the role it plays, it is spectacular.

I fight the modlight craves. I want them, but I always find something easier to justify spending the coin on. I'll probably do a dual modlight setup on my MCX space gun when I finish paying muh goggles.

I looked at some of the name brand lights but my skin flintyness got in the way. I ended up buying g a couple of Ozark Armament TFL-1-P for $29.95 each.
Pretty sure they're made in the Ozark section of China... Must be for thirty bucks.
Anyway, the switch works great, they fit my guns great, and they're plenty bright.

I fight the modlight craves. I want them, but I always find something easier to justify spending the coin on. I'll probably do a dual modlight setup on my MCX space gun when I finish paying muh goggles.
I hear you. The struggle is real when your laser costs more than your rifle.

I looked at some of the name brand lights but my skin flintyness got in the way. I ended up buying g a couple of Ozark Armament TFL-1-P for $29.95 each.
Pretty sure they're made in the Ozark section of China... Must be for thirty bucks.
Anyway, the switch works great, they fit my guns great, and they're plenty bright.

Did yours come with the free corona upgrade?

If things have come to the point of having to carry a rifle around, the last thing I'm concerned with is pointing it at someone.
That's a pretty good point.

Also, flares can start unwanted fires. I use Dakota Alert motion sensors, they're silent, don't alert the intruder and transmit for well over a mile.....well past line of sight. They can be set up to show progression of movement too and reset automatically so no need to expose yourself going out to change out a popped flare. Batteries last for months too.
I was kidding about the flares. Part of my home security is motion detector flood lights. As soon as someone/thing sets foot on my property the floods go off. They are hardwired but have solar back up if there is a power outage. They work great with the minor exception that deer and coyote will set them off.
I like the idea of motion alert, but it's a little more than I need. If the flood lights are not enough to let someone know that their presence has been noticed, my 90lb black lab will bark if a squirrel farts.
I have three weapon mounted lights. One on my nightstand gun, one on my HD shotgun, and one on my primary AR. All three are Streamlights. I know there are better lights out there but these work for me. Thankfully, I have never felt the need to grab a long gun when something alerts the dog, but if I did, I would be grabbing the 12ga, not the AR, and have is pretty handy.
I have always looked at home security as a layered approach, with the last layer being a firearm. Lights, dog, alarm then me. I figure things have gone pretty much sideways if someone wants in bad enough to ignore the first three, and I feel a good dog is the best, on so many levels.

Where did you get it?

OP here. I ended up going with the Olight PL-2 Valkyrie. It's mounted on the Catalyst Arms Hardpoint kit. The kit also includes an aluminum LOP spacer with QD sling mounts that replaces the plastic spacer.

thumbnail_IMG_2126.jpg

Back
Top Bottom