• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dual Residency Question?

TZCHRIS

NES Member
So my boss wants me to move to Arizona for 1 year contract. I have been traveling back and forth, Arizona to Mass, and its a pain in the A$$.

If/when I get to Arizona I want to be able to buy the "good stuff". I just came from sportsman warehouse and the kid behind the counter said I need an Arizona drivers licence. What is the best way to do this?

Below is what Google told me but want to check with the "experts"

I guess I'm looking for advice from someone who has done this.

(I have Utah license but dont think that allows me to make a purchase?)

Thanks, Chris

Can you have a driver's license in two states?

Answer: State laws differ, but, in general, you cannot possess two different state's driver's license at the same time. Normally, you need to be licensed in the state that you are considered to have permanent residency in and that license would be good to use throughout the United States to drive as long as it's valid.

If you have to ask this question you're not equipped to do what you want to do, lol.

Kidding aside, just move to AZ, get a new DL and dump your MA residency, problem solved. Just be prepared to stow all the cool shit you bought while you were gone out of state, or not move back to MA once that year is done...

-Mike

"get a new DL and dump your MA residency,"

I think that is my plan, however I want to keep my house in MA, at least for the time being.

Just sent this to my GF, told her I went grocery shopping and came home with this, she actually was happy![grin]
IMG_20171106_094241851.jpg

You can't have two driver licenses from two states "legally". Therefore your dual residency is just an illusion when the driver license is required to purchase a firearm in the second state. In MA, they don't recognize non resident, so you must to have a MA driver license to pair with your LTC. That's just my understanding, correct me if I am wrong.

Ask guy at gun shop if you have AZ state non drivers ID can you buy? Would show state residency on part time basis at AZ address.

Going to try a real gun shop after work today, the kid at the big box store really wasnt sure. I am a little scared if I'm good to go, just got paid today from last month, might be broke come tomorrow......[wink]

I think that is my plan, however I want to keep my house in MA, at least for the time being.

Just sent this to my GF, told her I went grocery shopping and came home with this, she actually was happy![grin]
View attachment 211538

By the way, bolt guns are legal in MA, at least for this week [hmmm]

No telling what retroactive confiscatory bullshit will be here next week though.....

This gets into the whole issue with the Feds that is interpreted by some as " wherever you sleep at night is your home"

That is how you can in theory do dual state residency.

Now MA may jack you up and say by declaring you have established residence in AZ, your MA license is null and void, and people have had that happen, usually on the side of the road somewhere.

The easy way, especially once you look at tax purposes for your income made in AZ vs MA, is ditch the MA LTC, making sure you send the notifications, establish AZ residence, get an AZ DL, consider it your home... establish a bank account etc, buy everything you ever wanted in triplicate, bring it all home, decide what ones you want to keep, and sell what you don't want to your friends :), Remember it is illegal to buy guns for your friends, it is not illegal to decide you don't like the gun and want to sell it.

Now..... when you move home, fly into Manchester with all the guns in your checked baggage, or head to NH if you are driving... have a hotel reservation made and save the confirmation, leave your guns with a trusted friend in NH or rent a secure storage space, leave the guns there, apply for a license in MA, once you get it bring the guns into MA and file the FA-10

IANAL, run this by a professional before attempting.

You do not need to be a MA resident to own a house in MA.

Check with your CPA to make sure you take the correct steps to dump MA residency so you do not owe MA income tax on your AZ income.

Now MA may jack you up and say by declaring you have established residence in AZ, your MA license is null and void, and people have had that happen, usually on the side of the road somewhere.
Moving does not make your MA license null and void, however, it might be expired if you change you address to AZ, and can be revoked for failure to file a change of address.

I challenge anyone to provide official documentation that a MA LTC "self voids" if you moved. I am referring to a law; court decision or official statement from the AG/FRB/EOPS/etc. (though the later is not actually proof).

Please do not waste time with "a cop told me" or "it's obvious". I am looking for an official source.
In MA, they don't recognize non resident, so you must to have a MA driver license to pair with your LTC.
I have never had a MA dealer require any other identification or proof of residency beyond my MA LTC. Have you?

Last edited:
if you keep your house and home in mass your mass resident so i would not change a thing in mass.
once at your second residence get paper work showing you live there 2.
rental agreement, lease etch. some FFLs will take that doc along with your mass drivers license to verify who you are, so you should be good to buy. just ask fll what works.

if you keep your house and home in mass your mass resident so i would not change a thing in mass.
Would you continue to pay MA income tax if you lived in AZ for a year? If you are MA resident, you have this obligation.

If its only a year I'm thinking I would like to keep the MA residency but really not sure, the MA income tax thing is huge, unless I purchase guns as a business expense and show no income for the year! LOL

If I truly need a AZ DL to purchase here I can get that but does that automatically void my MA DL?
Doing more research tonight.

States have different rules for residency based on why you want to declare it. Voting, drivers licenses and in-state tuition for example may have different requirements.

I know several people who don't have driver's licenses. How do they purchase a gun? My guess would be that a DL is just one of the acceptable forms of ID for firearms purchase.

I seem to recall that a DL is not proof of residency for a CCW in NH, they require some other documentation.

So, in general, I don't know that you need a DL to buy a firearm.

I know several people who don't have driver's licenses. How do they purchase a gun? My guess would be that a DL is just one of the acceptable forms of ID for firearms purchase.

I seem to recall that a DL is not proof of residency for a CCW in NH, they require some other documentation.

Really? I went in with my temporary license and filed and received my PRL without any issues.

Screw what NH says. Or ME, FL, OH or any place else.

What does the AZ law state and what are acceptable forms of ID to prove residency? That's all that matters.

I have reason to believe that one year out of here and I would have a hard time coming back. For 21 years I've headed north for vacation and weekends and returning here is pure hell.

Well I just found out all I need is an Arizona ID, HOWEVER:

You cannot hold both an Arizona ID card and driver's license at the same time. You must surrender any valid driver's license to the Arizona MVD when you apply for an AZ ID card.

So that will not work
[sad2]

Move to AZ. If you don't like it after a year, move to some more temperate free state. If you want to come back to New England, there's 3 perfectly nice free states right above MA. Problem solved. Don't come back to this cesspool once your gone. Get gone and stay gone. Enjoy your freedom.

Well I just found out all I need is an Arizona ID, HOWEVER:

You cannot hold both an Arizona ID card and driver's license at the same time. You must surrender any valid driver's license to the Arizona MVD when you apply for an AZ ID card.

So that will not work
[sad2]

The same is true here is SC. I had to surrender my MA DL when I applied for my SC DL.
If you are returning to mAssachusetts, don't bring back any sticky wicky items that will jam you up. Avoid the traps mASS has set up.Make the AZ move permanent
I left Boston, mAssachusetts 3 years ago and I'm so happy I did.

Good Luck.

Would you continue to pay MA income tax if you lived in AZ for a year? If you are MA resident, you have this obligation.
maybe, your talking two different things residences and taxes
on taxes , that's a finicial/accounting decision, what if he lives 6 months an a day in az and only 5 months and 30 days mass then no possibly, or only maybe what you made while in mass only this one year only, who relay knows..
what do all the snow birds claim? do you change your carry license to non resident, no
residency is a state of mind. I live and plan to live in both places throughout the year, I am a resident where ever I am while I'm there. if you sell or rent your house you may have trouble.

Identification is the issue.
you need to convince an ffl your a resident without a drivers license.
registry and other gov agencies use utility bill etch. or pay stub at "current address"

This gets into the whole issue with the Feds that is interpreted by some as " wherever you sleep at night is your home"

That is how you can in theory do dual state residency.

The easy way, especially once you look at tax purposes for your income made in AZ vs MA, is ditch the MA LTC, making sure you send the notifications, establish AZ residence, get an AZ DL, consider it your home... establish a bank account etc, buy everything you ever wanted in triplicate, bring it all home, decide what ones you want to keep, and sell what you don't want to your friends :), Remember it is illegal to buy guns for your friends, it is not illegal to decide you don't like the gun and want to sell it.

Now..... when you move home, fly into Manchester with all the guns in your checked baggage, or head to NH if you are driving... have a hotel reservation made and save the confirmation, leave your guns with a trusted friend in NH or rent a secure storage space, leave the guns there, apply for a license in MA, once you get it bring the guns into MA and file the FA-10

IANAL, run this by a professional before attempting.

Moving into MA with guns you already own, so long as you bring them with you when you move in, just requires you to get your LTC within a certain time frame. And you don't have to FA-10 them if you bring them with you when you move in. Unless the state of MA has changed that aspect of the law......

Moving into MA with guns you already own, so long as you bring them with you when you move in, just requires you to get your LTC within a certain time frame.
See Commonwealth v. Cornelius. The exemption does not cover high cap guns.

Also, the exemption covers possession, not carry (transport is carry in MA).

The upshot is that you may legally teleport low cap guns into MA and then get your LTC within 60 days.

Or, if you have an expired MA LTC, are not a PP, or have a MA LTC revoked for failure to file change of address and are not a PP, you are protected from criminal persecution and possession/carry is only a civil offense.

The ONLY thing asked for on the License application is DL# and SS# (optional). No other residency documentation is asked for or can be asked for.

See Commonwealth v. Cornelius. The exemption does not cover high cap guns.

Also, the exemption covers possession, not carry (transport is carry in MA).

The upshot is that you may legally teleport low cap guns into MA and then get your LTC within 60 days.

Or, if you have an expired MA LTC, are not a PP, or have a MA LTC revoked for failure to file change of address and are not a PP, you are protected from criminal persecution and possession/carry is only a civil offense.

You are NOT protected from persecution. You need a good ($$$) lawyer to get those charges dropped. I know of some cases where they still persecute people with expired FID/LTC for "illegal possession of guns/ammo without a license" . . . it's up to your lawyer to prove to the Marsupial judge that the charges are bullshit!

You are NOT protected from persecution.
Good point.

There was a case where the commiewealth argued that the "expired license exemption" obviously did not apply to a license that expired 15 year prior to the arrest for unlicensed carry/possession. Fortunately, the marsupials were not hopping to high that day, and ruled that the law did not provide a time limit.

The exemption disappears once one is denied a renewal or new LTC. This is the reason police departments are told to retain records of denied applications "indefinitely".

Back
Top Bottom