Dual Residency Question?

i have both AZ and MA drivers licenses...AZ license is good until 2037 or something like that :D
Interesting. The DOT website in AZ says you must surrender any active DL to get AZ DL? I guess maybe they don't check that?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Interesting. The DOT website in AZ says you must surrender any active DL to get AZ DL? I guess maybe they don't check that?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

LOL some of you guys are hilarious. How old are you that you haven't figured out that 90% of the laws these clowns pass aren't enforced even the slightest. Surrender your license from another state LMAO.

Who cares what the DOT website says. Get a AZ ID.. keep your MA ID and buy whatever.

In post 7 you said the kid at the big box wasn't sure... yeah, don't trust those nitwits on what's acceptable. In addition to possibly not being up to date of actual gun laws, they also have to follow the corporate policy. Think about the hoops necessary to buy ammo for Dicks or Wal-Mart in Mass.

Go to a real gun store and discuss what acceptable forms of ID are while you're based there for the next year.

I know someone who found themselves in a similar situation who lived in RI for a few years and kept everything the same in MA. ( DL, car insurance, bank accounts, ..) All you need is an address to pin it to. Biggest downside is that you may have to pay tax's in two states.
You could certainly be a tourist from MA in AZ for that amount of time. You can always revisit your decision to do nothing if you decide down the road.

After extensive research I found out if I get a DL in Arizona my DL in MA is null and void, yes, I will have a physical MA DL but if it gets run it will come back expired. Then if I hand over a MA resident LTC I could be in a big mess if I get pulled over by the wrong LEO. This was confirmed by good buddy in the MSP.

So....."MMArtist" yes you may physically have 2 DL in your possession but are they both active????????????

After extensive research I found out if I get a DL in Arizona my DL in MA is null and void, yes, I will have a physical MA DL but if it gets run it will come back expired. Then if I hand over a MA resident LTC I could be in a big mess if I get pulled over by the wrong LEO. This was confirmed by good buddy in the MSP.
Correct.

....."MMArtist" yes you may physically have 2 DL in your possession but are they both active????????????
No...From personal experience.

See if you can get a non-drivers lic. ID from the AZ DMV or Sheriff's Dept...Problem solved.

So....."MMArtist" yes you may physically have 2 DL in your possession but are they both active????????????
I'm pretty sure that you will need to turn in your MA license before they will issue an AZ license. I had to do that for NH.

This would lead you to believe that. However I have my Utah LTC but I was told this allows me to carry in AZ but not purchase. I will confirm this tonight.
It's a Federal crime to sell a handgun to a resident of another state. Any holder of a MA LTC should know this. (or at least they should have taken a course that taught them this in order to get the LTC).

https://www.atf.gov/file/55496/download

The ATF said:
A person’s “State of residence” is defined by regulation in 27 CFR 478.11 as “the State in which an individual resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State.” Ownership of a home or land within a given State is not sufficient, by itself, to establish a State of residence. However, ownership of a home or land within a particular State is not required to establish presence and intent to make a home in that State. Furthermore, temporary travel, such as short-term stays, vacations, or other transient acts in a State are not sufficient to establish a State of residence because the individual demonstrates no intention of making a home in that State.

State of residence has nothing to do where your driver's license is from or if you even have one. (And I can tell you from experience that you can buy a gun in AZ without an AZ drivers license. I lived there for about 3 years and never got an AZ license.)

It's a Federal crime to sell a handgun to a resident of another state. Any holder of a MA LTC should know this. (or at least they should have taken a course that taught them this in order to get the LTC).

No it isn't. It is a federal crime to transfer a handgun to a resident of another state. Big difference. You can sell them all you want. My last 5 handgun purchases were from a dealer in UT.

So then owning a home in another state does not allow you to buy a pistol there, how about a long gun to be kept there?
Not true. Read up on dual residency. It's not merely "owning property" but it is living in said property for specific times to meet the BATFE regulations. And finding an FFL that will work with you (rules for him are on the 4473 form but most FFLs aren't capable of reading comprehension).

I don't know where "there" is to answer about leaving guns there, but in general unless state law is an issue, you can do so legally.

Back
Top Bottom