Dual addresses, MA/NH

FancyGunz

NES Member
I live in MA, and may soon have a plot of land in NH that I will convert into a private shooting / hunting area. Would I be able to buy non-MA compliant guns and keep them on my NH land without a NH driver's license?

Also, how would NFA items work? Can I apply for a suppressor using my NH address, or does it have to be my primary address? I don't want to give up my MA LTC, who knows if I'll be able to get it back...

As long as you "reside" on the NH land, during your time residing on your NH property, you are a NH resident in the eyes of the ATF. If the land is merely for hunting and shooting and you will not be living there at all, then you won't be able to buy guns or anything else. Depending on the FFL, you might be able to show residency in NH by showing utility bills etc for the NH address.

I live in MA, and may soon have a plot of land in NH that I will convert into a private shooting / hunting area. Would I be able to buy non-MA compliant guns and keep them on my NH land without a NH driver's license?

Yes, if you work things carefully and you find an FFL that is willing to accept some other form of residency document...

Also, how would NFA items work? Can I apply for a suppressor using my NH address, or does it have to be my primary address?

Potentially, yes. Another idea is to form an NH based NFA trust to keep your NFA items in, will potentially make paperwork easier. You really need to talk to an FFL/SOT up there to find out if this is doable.

I don't want to give up my MA LTC, who knows if I'll be able to get it back...

You don't have to give up your MA LTC if you can claim you have residency of some sort in MA, contrary to what anyone else will tell you.

-Mike

Thanks for the fast replies!

It looks like things would be significantly easier if I put a house/shack/"shed with a bed" of some sort on the land? That way I could "reside" there while spending time there, and leave the guns safely locked up when I go back to "residing" in MA.

Edit: So the laws are ATF-specific? No problems with NH as long as an FFL will do the transfer?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom