Dry Fire...

I need to ramp up on my dry firing. When I have the time to dry fire a good amount, I certainly notice the difference when I go to the range..

What are some good drills I can use to get the most out of the limited time I have to practice dry firing?

Thanks
Adam

Check out these two sites for tips and demos on dryfire:
http://www.mattburkett.com/ (see shooting tips in the left side frame)
http://www.andersonshooting.com/dryfire.htm

You can pick anything for a drill. The important thing is to be honest and disiplined with your sight picture when you dryfire, otherwise you are just pulling the trigger and possibly practicing bad habits.

It works, it just can get a little boring. If you have a timer, it is better because you can set some par times and get used to beeps.

Adam, There aren't any real drills for dry firing. However, dry firing is the easiest, and least expensive, way to improve accuracy and practice basic marksmanship mechanics with any firearm. Simply draw a small black circle on a small Post-It and stick it to wall. Concentrate on trigger and breath control and make sure the front sight post is still in the black when the trigger breaks.

You can also use this to practice drawing from concealed and properly 'pointing' the firearm at the intended point of impact. Concentrate on relaxed, smooth fluid motion and not speed.

As always, make damn sure your firearm is NOT loaded.

Hope this helps.

What do you think of using those airsoft pistols for training ? Saw some at a shop and the owner said that they were a decent traing aid.

I saw a tool that you insert into your barrel and aim at a little target. when you pull the trigger, a little laser shoots out. I think it is invisible, but the target will beep on a hit. Muliple targets can be used. I have naver used it, but it looked like it could be useful. I believe I saw it in "mastering the USP" Video, but not sure. Just a though.

03roushs1 said:
I saw a tool that you insert into your barrel and aim at a little target. when you pull the trigger, a little laser shoots out. I think it is invisible, but the target will beep on a hit. Muliple targets can be used. I have naver used it, but it looked like it could be useful. I believe I saw it in "mastering the USP" Video, but not sure. Just a though.

If you get more info on this device, please share it in the Equipment forum. I know someone (Jim Conway) that has something that sounds similar. Problem is that he told me that it cost >$150!

It would be a great training tool, but a bit expensive.

I encourage dry firing, but I tell my students to limit themselves to about 50 "shots" per session. In part, you don't want to promote boredom; in part, you don't want them to rush.

As for a drill, there is nothing in particular. You don't need special targets; any spot on the wall will do.

Oh, and nowadays I counsel pulling the shades, so that some neighbor doesn't call the station saying there's a madman next door getting ready to shoot someone.

RKG said:
Oh, and nowadays I counsel pulling the shades, so that some neighbor doesn't call the station saying there's a madman next door getting ready to shoot someone.

I would say that there is some sound advice!

Adam

Something else you can do at the range is have a buddy load a mag for you but sneak-in a dummy round somewhere. You can then tell if you are jerking the trigger, forcing the muzzel down, not following thru, etc. if you squeeze the trigger, nothing happens and you're not still on target.

bws said:
Something else you can do at the range is have a buddy load a mag for you but sneak-in a dummy round somewhere. You can then tell if you are jerking the trigger, forcing the muzzel down, not following thru, etc. if you squeeze the trigger, nothing happens and you're not still on target.

I used to use that one all the time when I instructed on the pistol range. It works wonders. You can tell someone they are anticipating the shot, but they normally don't believe you. You throw a dummy round 4 or 5 rounds down the mag, they will show themselves they are anticipating the shot. [wink]

As others have suggested, make DAMN sure that your gun is unloaded while dry firing. Put the ammunition away. Don't have a loaded magazine or live ammo on your person or nearby.

Another thing to remember is safe direction -- or to paraphrase Col. Cooper, never point a gun at something you're not willing to destroy. Just because the gun is empty doesn't mean you can violate safety rules.

When I dry fire, I either point the gun at a concrete basement wall, or out my back wall that opens onto a hill.

Ayoob tells a story of a gunwriter that he knows who dry-fired aiming at an interior wall in the fellow's house. Only the gun wasn't dry. And his wife was on the other side of the wall. Don't do that.

I've seen a dry-fire target made of bullet-resistant material. Might be worth a look if you don't have a safe direction.

Something else you can do at the range is have a buddy load a mag for you but sneak-in a dummy round somewhere.
That's the standard ball-and-dummy drill, used by many, many instructors. It's quite useful.

03roushs1 said:

There is the Bullite system, but as Len said it can be kind of pricey. But in the long run it may be worth it. Here is the link to the site.

http://rovatec.com/bullite.php

M1911 said:
Something else you can do at the range is have a buddy load a mag for you but sneak-in a dummy round somewhere.
That's the standard ball-and-dummy drill, used by many, many instructors. It's quite useful.

I do it with students, only I use the revolver and an empty casing or two.

Back
Top Bottom