• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does dry fire count?

I've read several sources that said you should count dry fire sessions in the total round count of your gun. Their reasoning was that it stresses the springs and firing pin the same as if it were live fire. Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

I disagree, especially if using snap-caps. The real stress and wear is from the force associated with discharging a bullet. While dryfire can eventually cause parts to wear out, its nothing near the wear from actually shooting.

Disagree on the condition that it's a relatively modern firearm. The instructors up at Sig recommend dryfiring as means of practice. They said that it does not have any negative effects on the firing pins of modern firearms. Also it dryfiring doesn't stress the recoil or magazine springs. I need to take an armorer class so I don't know about some of the other possible springs but there are clearly a number of springs that are unaffected by dryfiring.

Really, dry firing will not hurt your gun.

This, with the caveat that depending on what you are doing for dry practice, you could be placing additional wear cycles on your gun as if you were firing. Things like recoil springs and slide stops have additional wear on them if you are manipulating the slide and working reloads from slide-lock, among other things. It's just normal wear and tear, as opposed to harming the firearm.

At most you may have to replace a striker sooner than later. Especially with guns that have striker blocks like the SR9C/SR40C and M&P's.

Snap caps= bad .

Most are shit . Little bits wear and chip off . Get stuck in places you don't want.

Snap caps for teaching some one to load and safety stuff not so bad.

I've read several sources that said you should count dry fire sessions in the total round count of your gun. Their reasoning was that it stresses the springs and firing pin the same as if it were live fire. Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

This is a bit like one of my neighbors telling me that he doesn't use the AC in the car when he drives because it uses more gas and wear and tear. [rofl]

The guy who taught my CCW class said for every live round you fire you should be dry firing 25 times. Or something like that. I remember he said you couldn't wear out today's handguns by dry firing. Fwiw.

The guy who taught my CCW class said for every live round you fire you should be dry firing 25 times. Or something like that. I remember he said you couldn't wear out today's handguns by dry firing. Fwiw.
Actually you should dry fire 27.6 times for every live round.
Really?
Every time you push/pull/squeeze/diddle the trigger you can improve your skills.
Unless you are the type who is only concerned with the "total round count"
If that IS the case, buy a revolver and have at it.

Actually you should dry fire 27.6 times for every live round.
Really?
Every time you push/pull/squeeze/diddle the trigger you can improve your skills.
Unless you are the type who is only concerned with the "total round count"
If that IS the case, buy a revolver and have at it.

Jeezusm man, get your facts straight...documents show the actual number is 27.7 times for every round.

Un-documented illegal numbers are WAY TOO rampant on this forum and elsewhere.

AND, you said "diddle".

Neg-reps inbound.

Shame on you FSTC!

Back
Top Bottom