• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Don't let anyone know you have a gun unless you're shooting at them with it

Obviously, to stay on the right side of the law, you keep any knowledge that you have a gun hidden until/unless you actually use it in self defence. The logic is simple, if you don't actually shoot the attacker then there wasn't a threat to your life, and that makes pulling the gun, or even just showing it, an assault.

I've said it before, the law removes the option of showing a holstered firearm as a means to change the mind of a possible attacher before he/she takes specific action against the victim. It would be better if mear display of a holstered firearm, absent threatening words or actions, was not considered an assault.

But that is not the reality we live in, so don't try this and keep your possession of a gun to yourself.

^This.

Not until this exchange had I considered how a shark defense attorney
could deliberately leverage the CSI Effect.
Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury,
if my client had really threatened that woman,
wouldn't there be footage of it on parking lot cams?
(Or spy satellites, heh).​
I.e., "(animated) GIFs, or it didn't happen".

So far that's like something straight out of Idiocracy.

But as Global Warmening causes juror intelligence to plummet,
someday it could become a standard tool of the defense.

MV5BMTIzNjg0MzgwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTQ1MzczMQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Obviously, to stay on the right side of the law, you keep any knowledge that you have a gun hidden until/unless you actually use it in self defence. The logic is simple, if you don't actually shoot the attacker then there wasn't a threat to your life, and that makes pulling the gun, or even just showing it, an assault.

I've said it before, the law removes the option of showing a holstered firearm as a means to change the mind of a possible attacher before he/she takes specific action against the victim. It would be better if mear display of a holstered firearm, absent threatening words or actions, was not considered an assault.

But that is not the reality we live in, so don't try this and keep your possession of a gun to yourself.

And ironically, showing the gun and NOT having to shoot the yute (hey that rhymes!) would literally save a life, while complying with the law inevitably leads to the death of the assailant, the financial ruin and eventual suicide of the victim.

<James Woods is Shark>
(We attended an LA hotel rooftop pool wedding reception at the same place where the show filmed a scene of Beautiful People partying...).

And ironically, showing the gun and NOT having to shoot the yute (hey that rhymes!) would literally save a life, while complying with the law inevitably leads to the death of the assailant, the financial ruin and eventual suicide of the victim.
Unless the assailant is shovel-ready.

Sadly that is both correct and the ‘logic’ is impractical and illogical. This becomes absolutely glaring when you apply the same exact fundamental principles of self defense to say, police. Why is the use of force continuum for us mere peons relegated to just two options: nothing or deadly force, where if you choose wrong you end up either dead or in jail?

The answer is fairly obvious and it should tell you everything you need to know about the motives and function of government.

He leaned on the horn.

I was in Seattle with my team on a training trip, two mini vans. My buddy behind me leans on horn at a stop light screwing with me. Some hood rat in shit box Honda two cars up in another lane blasting rap music apparently thinks we're honking at him. He loses his mind for the next 5 min weaving in front of us, driving on the wrong side of road I to on coming traffic. Eventually speeds off. No logic at all.

Hey!

We have an attorney, who is one of us, giving us the benefit of his professional experience and advice.
Stop monday morning quarterbacking and listen.
Get the benefit of legal advice BEFORE you need it WITHOUT having to pay for it in dollars, time lost or risk to your LTC.

Take it as a learning moment and quit debating it.
I swear we'd argue if someone said the sky was blue this morning...

And thanks @swatgig for posting.
Just Right and thanks, @swatgig!

This is actually a thing with juries. They watch so much tv, they want to see video, dna, fingerprints, etc. it’s not a proper argument, but some juries have acquitted for it.

I've been on multiple juries in my lifetime and the CSI effect never entered in the jury room. In the cases I have been on it all revolved around a tiny handful of facts that determined guilt or innocence. An 80% fact is basically worthless and all 14 jurors were able to pick up a BS fact when it was presented to them. In the cases I have sat on, after reaching a verdict the judge would always address us after the fact and give us the details we couldn't hear at trial. In every circumstance (including being on a jury that acquitted someone accused of dealing drugs) I feel that I can sleep with myself. One of the cases I was on involving a bank robbery went all the way to the SJC. I followed the case at a distance since i knew the details of the crime. That guy was a real 1st class scumbag and I'm glad that even the SJC kept him locked up behind bars.

I have not read 3 pages of posts. Only the OP.

The man described is an idiot. Drive away. Don't engage her. She had an opportunity to hit him with her car only because he wanted to play tough guy and didn't simply drive away.

HIS actions created the situation where he was in danger. Stay in the car. Driver away.

END OF STORY. CLOSE THE THREAD.

That may be true for mass but in NH and many other places the display of a firearm is perfectly legal

I'm not suggesting that it is or is NOT the prudent thing to do in <insert situation>, I'm only pointing out that the legality varies from state to state.

Know your states laws
My reference was to MA law specifically. But I would expect that if you pulled back your jacket in order to display a holstered firearm, in a confrontational situation, you could easily face assault charges in NH, and other places, as well. The law would need to qualify that the mear display of a weapon, but not held for ready use, absent threatening words or actions, does not constitute an assault.

She rolled her car into his leg (slowly - no injury) and he put his hand on his hip. She yells "What - do you have a gun" and he replied "Yup - and a license".]
Appropriate answer "Colostomy bag, I think I feel it leaking....."

And sure, it's a false report. But, the fact that you have an LTC and were carrying will be considered confirming evidence.
In one case with 100% certainty I would have finished the job and in the second case I would have had more time to evaluate but still would have had a ~70% chance I'd end up having to take my defense to its full completion.
The chance that you would be legally carrying after finishing the first job, even if 100% justified, is slim in the DPRM.

Back
Top Bottom