Don't get a gun, get a digital rape whistle instead

BostonVI

NES Member
So I had an anti make a comment to me today that because the "statistics" say that owning a firearm makes women more vulnerable to crime, she opted to purchase a digital rape whistle as an alternative [rolleyes]. When the button is pressed, it makes a high pitched noise, and alerts specified contacts that you're in danger via smartphone Bluetooth connection. While I don't completely object to the concept of such a device it seems to give the users a false sense of security when advertised as an "assault reducing device."

It's a bit sad that these folks likely cannot be convinced without themselves experiencing some sort of life threatening experience.

Athena-1.png

http://www.roarforgood.com/

So I had an anti make a comment to me today that because the "statistics" say that owning a firearm makes women more vulnerable to crime, she opted to purchase a digital rape whistle as an alternative [rolleyes]. When the button is pressed, it makes a high pitched noise, and alerts specified contacts that you're in danger via smartphone Bluetooth connection. While I don't completely object to the concept of such a device it seems to give the users a false sense of security when advertised as an "assault reducing device."

It's a bit sad that these folks likely cannot be convinced without themselves experiencing some sort of life threatening experience.

Athena-1.png

I hope you congratulated her on being a professional victim.

Athena-1.png

I bought my wife an anti-assault device for Christmas. She picked it out at the local hardware store. Single stack 9mm, fully ambidextrous controls, (she's left-handed), designed for carry, shelf-rear sight, frame and barrel can be swapped out because the serialized portion is the firing mechanism, (think Sig 320). Made right here in Georgia.

Absolutely, guaranteed to respond right here, right now -- no waiting for your friends to get there...

http://www.honordefense.com/

back in the 70's people used to pay attention to car alarms because it was a very rare occurrence for someone to have one. Now every car has one. And with so many false alarms nobody pays attention to them anymore. I'm guilty of it myself. I heard two yesterday and barely noticed and definitely didn't even flinch in the direction of trying to look to see what it was about. It's still kind of hard to ignore a shot fired in self defense in your direction even now and guns have been around way longer than car alarms.

You should've spiked her phone and asked what now

Oh look - no cell service. Now what?

Jfc. I carry a gdmn UGLY brick of a Glock because it WORKS. It works every gdmn time I pull the trigger. My Glocks have no aesthetics, my beautiful 1911's and revolvers snicker at my Glock family and call them "ugly plastic" POS. But my 43's and 17's work.

And this numbnuts wants to depend upon technology -AND- "but I have always depended upon the kindness of " friends and family to come save her life in a timely fashion.

When she breeds, she's going to entrust the safety of her children to this same mindset. Somebody else will come save us. This is bullsht.

700.jpg

LINK: http://www.grahamtradecraft.com/the-killhouse-rules/

Bad Guy with Gun, Pointing gun at Victim: Give me your wallet and phone.
Professional Victim: Hold on, let me unlock my phone so that I can...
Gun: BLAM!
Bad Guy: Beotch, I said give me yo stuff, now you gone and got yo'self kilt!

A well known teacher of self defense, knife, hand to hand and firearm had something similar a few years ago.

My version would call the coroner and my lawyer after it heard a loud noise.

This is of course rather useless unless the friends are already very close by. And, what are the odds of that? It would at least be a step up if the following was done: App sends message to other people nearby who are also using the app (anyone, complete strangers). And, the network effect had been established so that most people use the app. And, you were in a populated area like a city or suburb... out in the woods and you're screwed. Even then, good luck... I can pull out pepper spray or a gun much faster than a phone, then logging into it and running an app. (But some wearable button thing that talks to the app and automatically does it would help.)

The Cell 411 app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.safearx.cell411&hl=en) is at least attempting to do this. Of course, no network effect has happened with it. I have it installed... I sometimes get alerts "so and so is cop blocking"... BFD... what do you want me to do, get arrested too? No thanks. But, this type of app could have a use someday.

Seems like a good way to rally gun toting friends even if gun toting yourself. I like it.

When you pay for NES membership it should be part of the user package. It could be called the "GO TIME" alert.
I have been waiting so long for go time I am starting to think it will never happen.
An alert on my phone would great so I don't miss it.

This is of course rather useless unless the friends are already very close by. And, what are the odds of that?
Trip to the mall with the wife,walking home from the train. I can see a bunch of potential scenarios where it is useful. Better than waiting on the cops.

When you pay for NES membership it should be part of the user package. It could be called the "GO TIME" alert.
I have been waiting so long for go time I am starting to think it will never happen.
An alert on my phone would great so I don't miss it.

+1 would love a nes alarm feature... Though I tend to leave my GPS off unless I specifically turn in on for directions, then turn it off again when I an done

This is of course rather useless unless the friends are already very close by. And, what are the odds of that? It would at least be a step up if the following was done: App sends message to other people nearby who are also using the app (anyone, complete strangers). And, the network effect had been established so that most people use the app. And, you were in a populated area like a city or suburb... out in the woods and you're screwed. Even then, good luck... I can pull out pepper spray or a gun much faster than a phone, then logging into it and running an app. (But some wearable button thing that talks to the app and automatically does it would help.)

The Cell 411 app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.safearx.cell411&hl=en) is at least attempting to do this. Of course, no network effect has happened with it. I have it installed... I sometimes get alerts "so and so is cop blocking"... BFD... what do you want me to do, get arrested too? No thanks. But, this type of app could have a use someday.

Seems to me most people would use an app like this to be alerted that it is time to get the hell out of the area where a crime is being committed.

Seems to me most people would use an app like this to be alerted that it is time to get the hell out of the area where a crime is being committed.

[rofl] yeah, that could be a problem. Another possible outcome is it will be an alert that something entertaining to watch is nearby. They'll all stand around and gawk. But.... they'll be holding up cell phones live streaming the attack, so at least there will be evidence.

Back
Top Bottom