Don't buy Catamount Fury shotgun

AF83

NES Member
Soooo I bought this shot gun brand new about 2 years ago. It has been to the range twice. It as about 50 rounds down it. As I was cleaning it I noticed a bulge in the barrel?! I contact CAI, and they said they would be glad to help. I explained to them the age or the shotgun as well as the round count. They said just send us the original receipt, picture of the problem area, and the serial number. I did as they asked and 12 hours later was told they refuse to help me out because the gun is to old to warranty. I said thank you for selling poor quality firearms and I will be sure to let everyone know not to purchase these shotguns. You've been warned.

shotgun2.jpg

It's not a huge deal as far as functionality as I will just chop it down a few inches to get rid of the problem area. Just the principal of it.

Was that always there? Seems crazy that it got out of the factory like that, but equally crazy that 50 rounds (or any amount of rounds) would cause that type of damage.

Take the cutoff and see if it can be crushed with pliers. I bet it is as soft as puppy shit.

Was that always there? Seems crazy that it got out of the factory like that, but equally crazy that 50 rounds (or any amount of rounds) would cause that type of damage.

No definitely did not come factory, I would have noticed when I cleaned it the first time.

- - - Updated - - -

Take the cutoff and see if it can be crushed with pliers. I bet it is as soft as puppy shit.
I'll try crushing it after I cut and bevel it.

Last edited:
is your gun suppose to have a choke tube? i googled it and a description said it came with a screw in choke for lead, i don't see anything resembling a choke in your photo.

Slug through choke no bueno. That's your problem right there. Even 00 buck is hard on a choke tube.

I'm going to go ahead and guess there's something in the owners manual that explicitly says that.

You do realize what a choke tube is right? And what it does?

ETA: Above assumes you weren't using a cylinder choke. Which I realize was a leap for me to guess its not and your trying to put slugs through a full, modified, modified improved, or modified cylinder choke which constrict the diameter of the bore.

Last edited:
Slug through choke no bueno. That's your problem right there. Even 00 buck is hard on a choke tube.

I'm going to go ahead and guess there's something in the owners manual that explicitly says that.

You do realize what a choke tube is right? And what it does?

Owner's manual should definitely say that. Benelli says Modified and up is OK with slugs in their guns.

Owner's manual should definitely say that. Benelli says Modified and up is OK with slugs in their guns.

I actually just added a note. Even with Benelli saying Modified Cylinder is ok here:

http://www.benelliusa.com/customer-service/faq

What do the notches on the choke tubes mean?
The notches indicate the choke tube constriction. A lower notch count means more constriction (tighter). A higher notch count means less constriction.
1 notch = Full
2 notches = Improved modified
3 notches = Modified
4 notches = Improved cylinder
5 notches = Cylinder

Which chokes are recommended for steel shot?
These chokes are recommended for steel shot:
3 notches = Modified
5 notches = Cylinder

Most people find that…
· The modified choke works best for pass shooting
· The improved cylinder and cylinder chokes work well on decoying birds

There is no benefit shooting steel through a choke tighter than modified, and we do not recommend doing so.

Which chokes are recommended for slugs?
These chokes are recommended for slugs:
5 notches = Cylinder

A cylinder choke is recommended for shooting rifled slugs in a smooth-bore barrel. Sabot slugs should only be shot through our fully-rifled slug barrels.

It is not safe to shoot slugs through chokes tighter than those listed here.

Why can’t I shoot steel through improved modified and full chokes?
The constriction on these chokes is very tight. Because steel does not compress, it can damage the barrel and choke as the shot charge passes through.

For patterns with steel shot, we recommend using Benelli extended waterfowl chokes for tighter patterns.

I personally would never run a slug through anything other than a cylinder, which is the same inside diameter as the rest of your bore. All you're doing with the others is putting a shit ton of stress on the barrel mouth and threads. Not to mention you could end up melting lead into the threads and locking the choke on there.

Sadly, I've read some whoppers here and honestly would believe someone would do that. Lol. I'm sorry for putting you in that group in my mind [smile]

Traditional slugs can run through full chokes on quality shotguns (like Remington 870's) no problem

Traditional slugs can run through full chokes on quality shotguns (like Remington 870's) no problem
Correct. It depends on the gun. Owners manual will tell you. I have a fixed full choke mossy 500 barrel and ive put many many slugs through it no issues. Nothing in the owners manual recommends against it. But im talking fixed full not screw in choke.

What I found interesting is at exactly 18", there is a sleeve in the barrel all the way down to the breech. Is this normal?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom