• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dollar store jar candles

The Dollar Store in my town (forget the actual name) sells a kind of jar candle, 8" tall, about 2" in diameter, with white unscented wax, for, of course, $1.

If anyone is wondering, I can state, from my own testing, that these things should give you around 72 hours of burn time. That's pretty good for a buck.

I had no trouble with mine, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a stand to set one in while the wax was high to add protection from tipping over.

That is all.

Firefighters say that one of the leading cause of house fires is/are candles.

They are nice, just keep them in a safe location. Oh, you should probably have some ventilation also.

I was thinking of a power down situation where you just want to light your home, and are looking for the most light for the buck.

I didn't notice these candles giving off more soot than my wife's stinky Yankee Candles. Probably less imo actually, but didn't measure it.

Bet mine has yours beat fencer. Mine always and only buys the large and 2 of the same scent. One to burn and the other added to the collection because you never know when they may discontinue the scent. I think she was up to 527 last time I asked her. We have a closet we call “the candle closet”.

Good tip OP. Will stop and add to my storm outage supplies. My wife's Yankee Candle budget is friggin ridiculous. But I don't say anything because she doesn't give me shit about guns, ammo, holster, optics etc. etc.

Bet mine has yours beat fencer. Mine always and only buys the large and 2 of the same scent. One to burn and the other added to the collection because you never know when they may discontinue the scent. I think she was up to 527 last time I asked her. We have a closet we call “the candle closet”.

Yep, you have me beat by a long shot. She has a corner hutch and I would estimate about 150 various candles. I figure it could be much much worse. She is not into shoes or clothes and she would rather make a home cooked meal than reservations.

lol lol mine loves purses, candles and can not boil water. BUT she’s good and has come to terms with my addiction with boom sticks.

Yep, you have me beat by a long shot. She has a corner hutch and I would estimate about 150 various candles. I figure it could be much much worse. She is not into shoes or clothes and she would rather make a home cooked meal than reservations.

The Dollar Store in my town (forget the actual name) sells a kind of jar candle, 8" tall, about 2" in diameter, with white unscented wax, for, of course, $1.

If anyone is wondering, I can state, from my own testing, that these things should give you around 72 hours of burn time. That's pretty good for a buck.

I had no trouble with mine, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a stand to set one in while the wax was high to add protection from tipping over.

That is all.

I bought 3 cases of these. The red, white and blue ones to try. They work really well actually. Good value and do last a very long time. I keep extra ones in NH.

Are these any good? I was looking at getting a few and a couple of 5gal of lamp oil.

I have no personal experience with these, but I have found that the more-modern lamps and lanterns are more "accent" pieces, than tools.

If you want a real lamp or lantern for SHTF use, or just emergency lighting, go to Ye Olde Anteeks, or an estate sale, and spend a few extra dollars for one that was made when they were a day-to-day item. If it's been around that long, it will last. The main thing to check, is the condition of the bottom of the fount (tank) for pinholes.

I have several that have been in the family for a long time, and some that I picked up at estate sales - get the widest wick you can (my brightest have 1 1/2" wide wicks), and learn to trim the wicks, so that the corners don't "flare" and smoke up the glass.

If you're buying lamp oil, get the "ultra pure" type, than can be burned in an oil candle that has no chimney, to expand its utility.

Oil lamp is a great idea, I have a couple.

Dollar store candles I would test for lead - Chinese candles have been found to have lead in the wicks.

Back
Top Bottom