• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dog attack - How would you handle?

if you pop a dog in mass you better have Neil Tassel or the very least, Keith Langer on speed dial. The only reason that guy walked is because his kid was bit by one of the dogs…. it makes the cops look bad if they try to prosecute him under that circumstance. if you talk to Keith he can probably tell you plenty of horror stories where people were railroaded trying to defend themselves against a shitty dog.
I live in Haverhill. Right on the Merrimack. Could hit the 97 Groveland bridge with my wrist rocket. Thanks for the info. Very much appreciated!

If Kyle Rittenhouse used wasp spray before shooting people, he’d be in jail today 🤣
Rittenhouse should have used a short-barrel 12 gauge pump or semiautomatic shotgun loaded with OO buckshot. At the bad breath distances that he engaged those pukes, his casualty count would have been considerably higher!

Taser... Pepper spray in close quarters can be almost as harmful to you. Besides, how did I get this far and there was no obligatory bang the wife, upper decker, and keys on the roof?

There's a state leash law in MA as well. Your dog on + their dog off = they're automatically at fault for whatever happens next.

Taser is an option for an unruly suspect who doesn't have a weapon. High failure rate, both points need to penetrate clothing (or fur in this case) down to the skin, and be far enough apart to be effective. Not something I'd use for an aggressive dog in close proximity. Pepper spray isn't ideal either, harder to aim than a gun and I agree that it may be worth reconsidering if the dog is in arms reach of you... sucks to say but a firearm is the right tool for the job. I'd hate to have to be in that situation, but there is a huge % of people who are careless and clueless about their dogs.

Rittenhouse should have used a short-barrel 12 gauge pump or semiautomatic shotgun loaded with OO buckshot. At the bad breath distances that he engaged those pukes, his casualty count would have been considerably higher!
That would be a Serbu Super Shorty.

if you pop a dog in mass you better have Neil Tassel or the very least, Keith Langer on speed dial. The only reason that guy walked is because his kid was bit by one of the dogs…. it makes the cops look bad if they try to prosecute him under that circumstance. if you talk to Keith he can probably tell you plenty of horror stories where people were railroaded trying to defend themselves against a shitty dog.
Attorney Langer has a record of multiple (at least 2) successful defenses of persons charged with dog shooting.

Taser is an option for an unruly suspect who doesn't have a weapon. High failure rate, both points need to penetrate clothing (or fur in this case) down to the skin, and be far enough apart to be effective. Not something I'd use for an aggressive dog in close proximity. Pepper spray isn't ideal either, harder to aim than a gun and I agree that it may be worth reconsidering if the dog is in arms reach of you... sucks to say but a firearm is the right tool for the job. I'd hate to have to be in that situation, but there is a huge % of people who are careless and clueless about their dogs.
If the dog is within arm's reach of you, or any assailant for that matter, the distance advantage of the firearm is largely lost. At such close quarters, when the attacker could even possibly grab your gun, I'm going for my blade. Draw it quickly and shove it deeply into your attacker's chest or throat, whether a man or a dog. Doesn't matter if your technique is perfect if you can get some razor sharp steel into your opponent's vitals quickly.

the husband shows up, sees me kicking at his dog and immediately shouts at me and prepares to throw down (hand cocked to throw a haymaker), which meant I now I had to take my eyes and attention off the German Shepard and get into a defensive stance in case this guy engages me. My wife is shouting at them to get control of their dog while he continues to circle to re-engage us.

Overall, a complete clusterfck. They finally managed to get control of their dog. We continued on to finish our walk. The wife was very apologetic and during the whole thing tried her best to get control of the dog.
First, tell the wife to get control of her husband.

Carry pepper spray. With no pepper spray, kicking dogs usually slows them down a bit, but you could get bitten also.

As an aside, WTF is with crappy dog owners who don't leash their dog and have zero control over them? I can't count how many times I see dogs off leash on our walks, in our neighborhood running loose, etc. All of this would have been avoided had these owners kept their dog within a fence or on a leash/run.
Had my dog on a leash at our club after doing some cleanup work on the hawk&knife range. We were up in the parking lot. About 25 yards away, a dog comes around the corner, sees my dog and runs up (it was unleashed). The guy the dog was with starts yelling its name, but it was running up and not listening. It starts barking and trying to attack my dog. She instantly engages and fights back, which I don't think the bully was planning on. The dog's owner then comes out of the clubhouse (bar) and goes running up and gets his dog. He gave me some dirty looks, but my dog was on leash and not far from me the entire time, with lots of witnesses. They both just slinked away as best they could. I loaded my dog in the car and left.

Choke holds work on dogs as well as shitty dog owners.
In a survival situation, yes, an adult male in the prime of life could do this to virtually any dog, but you are going to get the shit ripped out of your arms and elsewhere, likely permanent injuries to your hands, and a chokehold on certain dogs that are essentially a giant pair of Jaws attached to a bite delivery body? If you haven't been surprised by an attacking dog it is hard to appreciate just how fast both their body and jaw movements are.

I think you're missing the point. This wasn't just about a dog on dog attack. My 110lb wife was actively involved trying to get the 100lb aggressive male German Shepard away/off our dog. Her life was in danger and at any point that dog could have gone directly after her. It did go after me as I was lunging and kicking at it. I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 and god forbid it's my wife or kid, even in this state. My dog was within 18" of me on the leash with the opposing dog going for her throat and legs. I'll tell any DA to EABOD if they think me or my wife isn't in danger at that point.
You asked what we would do. If you don’t want to know don’t ask. It is apparent you are gonna Pew pew next time and tell off the DA. Good luck with that. Pepper spray could have prevented the entire situation but we will never know.

You asked what we would do. If you don’t want to know don’t ask. It is apparent you are gonna Pew pew next time and tell off the DA. Good luck with that. Pepper spray could have prevented the entire situation but we will never know.
Nah, I was pretty worked up at the time and my post reflected that. In retrospect, and after reading numerous posts, I think escalation of force makes sense.

I now carry a blade, pepper spray and a taser or a blade, pepper spray and my CC depending. The last incident was with a couple who had their two german shepards off leash. The dogs listened to the owners, stopping half way to my dog, but what they did was against the law in MA (leash law) and the conservation area’s rules (all dogs leashed). Still, better than the alternative of getting attacked.

Still concerned about my wife and kid who often walk the dog alone. I’ve asked her multiple times to get her CCL, but for now she just takes the blade and pepper spray with her.

Huh? Would you rather tell the DA off after your wife's funeral when he tells you what he is going to charge the dog owners with?

I would do whatever it takes, with whatever is at my disposal.

So now his wife died? Did I miss something?
No, it was in response to my concern that the German Shepard in question was a large adult male, probably 90-100lb, and my wife is all of 110lb. She was trying to get between the GSD and our PB and could have easily been the focus of the attack, thus my concern. She also walks the dog alone at times…

The alpha dog's press statement:

If He Dies Ivan Drago GIF

I always carry but wouldn't want to use a gun. It would be very difficult to hit the offender without risking hitting my own dog and shooting the owner while satisfying, would probably get you in trouble. As others have said pepper spray would be the best choice. For both the dog and the owner.

I've been bitten three times, all while running, and I don't carry when I run. Once was on a trail, the other two times were on busy sidewalks. I gave plenty of notice and made eye contact with the owners each time. Each time the owner just stood there, slack-jawed and bleating, completely shocked that their darling little beast had attacked me. And each time, I smacked the shit out of those dogs as soon as they latched on. One of them persisted: he got kicked.

I've got no time for dogs who attack people, and less time for their useless owners.

I've got no time for dogs who attack people, and less time for their useless owners.

Amen. I love dogs, but I wouldn't hesitate to put one down that attacks anything unprovoked. That also applies to a good percentage of the owners of dogs like that.

I've been bitten three times, all while running, and I don't carry when I run. Once was on a trail, the other two times were on busy sidewalks. I gave plenty of notice and made eye contact with the owners each time. Each time the owner just stood there, slack-jawed and bleating, completely shocked that their darling little beast had attacked me. And each time, I smacked the shit out of those dogs as soon as they latched on. One of them persisted: he got kicked.

I have been bitten several times while running and riding my bike. Dogs particularly don't like bicyclists for some reason.

I have actually had dog owners yell at me as I ran or rode by "don't go by my house anymore because you are bothering my dog." Like it is my fault WTF?

I use to carry a .380 on me but switched to OC because if you have to shoot a dog there is a good chance that you will have to shoot the irate owner also. Or risk getting your ass kicked and gun taken away. I would rather not deal with that.

Some dog owners (not all) seem to think there is nothing more important than their dog, and refuse to realize how their dog has the potential to hurt other people.

I am a bird owner, so I ask when was the last time anyone was chased, and attacked by a parrot??? Or a cat for that matter? :)

Hear me out for a second. One hand trying to control our dog/leash. So, I have to deploy a folding knife from it's sheath with one hand. I normally carry a Leatherman, but there is no way I'm deploying that knife with one hand while under pressure. Is this doable? I hate to say, but drawing a pistol one handed is no problem. Shooting point blank is also not an issue. Personally, I'd rather be point blanc if I have to shoot as it becomes much more obvious of the danger.

Again, this is all sort of arm chair quarterbacking on my part after the fact...
JFC. Just carry a good solid stick or OC

Another vote for pepper spray, if you're not carrying. I carry a .380 and pepper spray when I ride my bicycle but I think pepper spray would be safer and you'd end up w/ less headaches than shooting a dog.

Back
Top Bottom