• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dog attack - How would you handle?

I've been bitten three times, all while running, and I don't carry when I run. Once was on a trail, the other two times were on busy sidewalks. I gave plenty of notice and made eye contact with the owners each time. Each time the owner just stood there, slack-jawed and bleating, completely shocked that their darling little beast had attacked me. And each time, I smacked the shit out of those dogs as soon as they latched on. One of them persisted: he got kicked.

I've got no time for dogs who attack people, and less time for their useless owners.

WTF, do you smear bacon grease on your running shoes or something?

WTF, do you smear bacon grease on your running shoes or something?
I started running in 1988 and haven't really stopped, so I think three bites in all that time is probably not all that extreme.

Horse owners are far worse. I was running in the Lynn Woods once and a couple of angry horse moms screeched at me for having the temerity to use the same trail. "You'll spook the horses!" they whined.

Lady. If your horse can't handle being around pedestrians? That ain't the pedestrians' fault.

Shepherds are no joke,brains,brawn,moves for days. Bringing my previous shep to the vets, I'd warn them that he knows karate. Laughed off and new kick hole in their wall. I have 2 rescue shepherds now, super nice, but I watch how they play fight, they'd shred a person who needed shredding.

🤔

Horse owners are far worse.
I come across people on horseback occasionally on a trail behind my house I ride my ATV's on (non maintained public way so legally riding). When I do I am courteous, I pull off the trail and shut off my 4-wheeler so as not to spook the horse and wave them through.

Most horse riders are appreciative and say thanks and go on by. One time there was this lady who (after I pulled off the trail and shut down) instructed me to walk into the the woods and sit down and remain motionless until she passed by!!! I did not comply......

One time there was this lady who (after I pulled off the trail and shut down) instructed me to walk into the the woods and sit down and remain motionless until she passed by!!! I did not comply......

Right?

I mean, lady! Shut up! I pay taxes to maintain these trails; Mr Ed does not. So I'll be damned if I'm expected to get out of his way.

Most people suck.
Therefore, lots of dogs suck.

Pepper spray is probably the best solution but, to be honest, most dogs aren’t killers regardless of the show they put on.
They act this way out of fear.
I’ve seen this firsthand, and more than once.
Some guy and his dog walk into a room with a decoy. He thinks his dog is a killer because he puts on a show for the ups guy, or other dogs, or people walking by, or whatever.
The fact is, his dog is scared and looking to make what he perceives as a threat, go away.
You can see it when the dog goes berserk and at the same time, won’t hold eye contact, looks back and forth between his handler for guidance and the door to get away.
I’ve literally seen what people think are man eaters, blow their anal glands in the middle of the room from nothing more than a good sized guy in a hat and hoodie that didn’t back away when the dog did his little dance.
I say all this because the average dog you come across can usually be intimidated. I’ve made dogs back down by simply puffing my chest, being loud, and charging them when they charged me.
I don’t recommend that because you never know but, that would more often than not be the result.
Now the issue with that would be if you get a serious dog.
If you were to get one with the genetics, the drive, and decent training, you’ll wind up looking like you were prison raped by a chainsaw.
The thing is, most dogs like that, even though they are out there, aren’t going to be running loose and nuking some poor bastard jogging.

... to be honest, most dogs aren’t killers regardless of the show they put on.
They act this way out of fear.
I’ve seen this firsthand, and more than once.

Uh huh. I'm sure this is true, but I don't really GAF about canine psychology. There's a bottom line to everything, and here's the bottom line: I'm a pedestrian on a public sidewalk. You (not you, but "you") are a dog owner. If your beast attacks me that's your fault, not mine. YOU are its owner. YOU are responsible for its training and safety. YOU are to blame if it can't handle itself around a jogger, meaning YOU need to be taking it for its little walk someplace where it can be kept separate from the public. Like, your backyard.

If you don't do that, your dog's going to get smacked by a guy like me even if it's acting out of fear rather than malice. Because I don't know your dog, so I don't know whether it means to kill me or not. And I'm not going to stop what I'm doing to find out; that's your job. I'm just trying to go about my day. Frankly, I'm more important than your pooch.

If your dog is biting runners, it's a hazard. Hazards need to be corrected and, if necessary, removed.

Uh huh. I'm sure this is true, but I don't really GAF about canine psychology. There's a bottom line to everything, and here's the bottom line: I'm a pedestrian on a public sidewalk. You (not you, but "you") are a dog owner. If your beast attacks me that's your fault, not mine. YOU are its owner. YOU are responsible for its training and safety. YOU are to blame if it can't handle itself around a jogger, meaning YOU need to be taking it for its little walk someplace where it can be kept separate from the public. Like, your backyard.

If you don't do that, your dog's going to get smacked by a guy like me even if it's acting out of fear rather than malice. Because I don't know your dog, so I don't know whether it means to kill me or not. And I'm not going to stop what I'm doing to find out; that's your job. I'm just trying to go about my day. Frankly, I'm more important than your pooch.

If your dog is biting runners, it's a hazard. Hazards need to be corrected and, if necessary, removed.
Uhm.
Yeah.
I wouldn’t argue with any of that.
Have you not read any of my posts in these “dog” threads?
Am I completely misunderstanding you here?

JFC. Just carry a good solid stick or OC
A stick won’t do shit against multiple opponents, nor will it disable or eliminate the threat (human or animal) with out getting quite lucky. Open carry in MA is problematic for a number of reasons I won’t go into in this thread. I’ll give you a real world example where a stick would have done squat: 2 large German Shepards off leash and an unhinged couple who thought it was cool that they had zero control over their dogs vs. me and my dog on a leash. Please tell me what the stick would do, unless you’re literally Bruce Lee with a Bo.

Needless to say, I now have a multi layered strategy that starts with pepper spray and a quick folding knife and ends with my 9mm CC.

Also, it’s a pretty sorry state when one has to prepare like they’re in the Alaskan backcountry for a dog walk because so many dog owners suck. Keep your f***ing dog leashed and under control.

No, because...

I'm not refuting your post or anything; just using it as a take-off for my own views.
I see.
Yeah if some dbags dog attacked me (and it’s happened) I’d do whatever I had to (and I did) as well.
I believe the original question was how best to deal with it and I think pepper spray is probably the best answer for most people.
I tried to point out through my experiences that the vast majority of dogs aren’t killers but, there are (some) out there that are.
That’s why I said pepper spray and not a kick or even a strike with a stick.
The pepper spray can give someone space between them and the dog, and will deter most attacks vs a kick that can give the dog something to latch onto.

A stick won’t do shit against multiple opponents, nor will it disable or eliminate the threat (human or animal) with out getting quite lucky. Open carry in MA is problematic for a number of reasons I won’t go into in this thread. I’ll give you a real world example where a stick would have done squat: 2 large German Shepards off leash and an unhinged couple who thought it was cool that they had zero control over their dogs vs. me and my dog on a leash. Please tell me what the stick would do, unless you’re literally Bruce Lee with a Bo.

Needless to say, I now have a multi layered strategy that starts with pepper spray and a quick folding knife and ends with my 9mm CC.

Also, it’s a pretty sorry state when one has to prepare like they’re in the Alaskan backcountry for a dog walk because so many dog owners suck. Keep your f***ing dog leashed and under control.
I’m pretty sure that we’re in the same town. I wonder if I know the couple you’re talking about. I think there’s currently only one shepherd and it’s very dog reactive and the guy is a complete douche.

Black and tan shepherd?

excellent. OC both dogs.

edit: Agree. People should have control over their dogs. If the dog is unhinged, they are irresponsible.
You should advise them to get professional training for the wife and dog. Tell him the wife is free, but it's 150 hr for the dogs.
The failure is no training.

View: https://youtu.be/ezDJzmAbb1Y

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure that we’re in the same town. I wonder if I know the couple you’re talking about. I think there’s currently only one shepherd and it’s very dog reactive and the guy is a complete douche.

Black and tan shepherd?
The encounter I mentioned with the couple and two German Shepards was from RI. Saw their plate in the parking lot.

I think I know who you’re talking about. That may have been our other encounter, mentioned much earlier in the thread.

Now THIS is a badass dog!

pieter-hugo-download2-Custom.jpg

My wife and I were walking our dog last night when we were attacked by another dog. We usually walk to one of two conservation trails in the area, both within a mile of our house. On this particular evening, we were walking back from the trail on a public road (no sidewalks). We hear barking and my wife tells me to get ready as she sees a large German Shepard bearing down on us. The Shepard is obviously not under the verbal or physical control of it's owner and comes running out into the road where we are walking and immediately attacks our dog, a fixed female Pit Bull mix.

I had our dog on a leash and tried to restrain her as she is very aggressive at other aggressive dogs and was prepared to fight. Unfortunately this put my dog at a severe disadvantage as it limited her mobility. My wife tried to get between them to keep the Shepard at bay as did I, trying to keep our dog behind me. Of course the Shepard, being likely 100lb of muscle and teeth, had no problem getting close and managed to get a few bites in on our dog before she could respond. I shouted, lunged, and kicked at the other dog, which seemed to keep the fight from getting too bad.

While this is happening, one of the owners, the wife comes running out and is trying to restrain her dog, but isn't really successful. Then the husband shows up, sees me kicking at his dog and immediately shouts at me and prepares to throw down (hand cocked to throw a haymaker), which meant I now I had to take my eyes and attention off the German Shepard and get into a defensive stance in case this guy engages me. My wife is shouting at them to get control of their dog while he continues to circle to re-engage us.

Overall, a complete clusterfck. They finally managed to get control of their dog. We continued on to finish our walk. The wife was very apologetic and during the whole thing tried her best to get control of the dog. The husband was obviously not thinking straight, but apologized after. He was triggered by my kicking his dog, and at one point yelled at us because we had a pit bull... had zero understanding of what happened and that his dog initiated the attack in a public space while loose. Not to mention ignoring the fact that his male German Shepard was much bigger/heavier than our dog and obviously the aggressor.

We checked our dog at home. She was fine except for a 3 small puncture wounds, one on the face, and one on each rear leg. They bled for a bit, but eventually stopped. It didn't look like they needed stitches.

No one was hurt beside some superficial wounds on our dog (she never made a sound and managed to defend herself as she's a tough dog). No one died or went to jail, and I think we did about the best we could in that situation. Afterwards, I told my wife that I probably should have handed the leash off to her in order to be able to more successfully engage the German Shepard and later, the owner when he became aggressive (didn't expect that). I wasn't carrying concealed at the time, but had I been, I told her I would have shot the dog as soon as it engaged us. That dog could have easily killed her, killed our dog and was very much a threat to me. That would have opened a crap show of legal issues (this is MA so...). I would have been certainly within rights on a public road to defend my family against an aggressive and dangerous threat. There is no running away from a dog, so I don't think duty to retreat would be an issue.

Besides this dog, there are some other very aggressive German Shepherds in the area. From this point forward, I'm carrying when I'm walking. I was in gym shorts and a tshirt and didn't feel like carrying as we've never had an issue before. Obvious mistake on my part and we got lucky. Just goes to show how fast things can turn to crap when you least expect it.

WWYD?

As an aside, WTF is with crappy dog owners who don't leash their dog and have zero control over them? I can't count how many times I see dogs off leash on our walks, in our neighborhood running loose, etc. All of this would have been avoided had these owners kept their dog within a fence or on a leash/run.
Get your dog to the vet. Bites can turn into life-threatening infections very easily.

Back
Top Bottom