Does Walmart carry any decent camo clothing?

45collector

NES Member
Gearing up for turkey.

Does anyone know if Walmart carries any basic realtree/mossy oak pants, sweatshirts or jackets? I was going to go outta my way to stop at the WM in Plymouth on the way home tonight to check it out. I won't bother if they don't carry much.

Well it is past their camo time but they may have some real tree shirts, pants and bibs on a clearance rack. you could always call

Thanks for the lightning quick reply!
What time of year do they usually carry this stuff? I suppose I could call and ask what's on their clearance rack but I hate bothering stores w/ questions like that.

Oh! OK so I'm shopping at the worst possible time. [laugh]

Forgive me, I just got my first hunting license last week.

Wal-Mart tends to have their best selection of everything at that time, since it's leading up to the big hunting seasons (deer, fall turkey). Dick's is the same way, but tends to have more of a year-round selection than wallyworld. BassPro carries the same stuff year round, I think.

ETA: There also isn't much you can hunt this time of year. Coyote closes tomorrow. Crow is open for another month. Spring turkey is coming up, though, so you might see some stock coming into the big-box stores for that in coming weeks.

I know there isn't much to hunt right now. I won't be shooting anything I don't intend to eat, so coyote and crow are out. The day I got my license was the day rabbit ended. D'oh! So I'll be starting with turkey when that opens up and yes I've already received the good-natured ribbing of how I'm starting off with one of the most difficult game to hunt. [laugh] I'm reading and re-reading all the major safety points for turkey hunting. I picked up a used 1187 and I'll be testing the pattern on that next weekend. Too bad the (3) 12 guage shotguns I already have are no good for turkey!

ETA: I bought one of those reed calls you stick in your mouth and thus far the only sounds I've created are those of my gag reflex being triggered right before I spit the thing out! I'll probably just get a nice box call.

Last edited:
I know there isn't much to hunt right now. I won't be shooting anything I don't intend to eat, so coyote and crow are out. The day I got my license was the day rabbit ended. D'oh! So I'll be starting with turkey when that opens up and yes I've already received the good-natured ribbing of how I'm starting off with one of the most difficult game to hunt. [laugh] I'm reading and re-reading all the major safety points for turkey hunting. I picked up a used 1187 and I'll be testing the pattern on that next weekend. Too bad the (3) 12 guage shotguns I already have are no good for turkey!

ETA: I bought one of those reed calls you stick in your mouth and thus far the only sounds I've created are the those of my gag reflex being triggered right before I spit the thing out! I'll probably just get a nice box call.

Diaphragm calls can be tough to get used to, but once you get over the desire to vomit, they can be used to make a wide range of sounds.

Also, don't forget that you need one of those stupid safety stickers for turkey. I think the MassWildlife website has the info on how to get them.

Walmart in Plymouth had some decent camo out late last year, during deer season.
Fairly priced, camo pants, jackets, sweatshirts made by Remmington.

I was at Dicks in Plymouth last week, and they had some GREAT deals on clearance.
Everything from baselayers to outerlayers. I think it's worth looking into.

The little green sticker is supposed to come with my turkey tags, which I've already sent in for. The used gun I bought already has one on it though, so I'm good there.

Heading to Walmart momentarily. Hope I find something usefull!

Gearing up for turkey.

Does anyone know if Walmart carries any basic realtree/mossy oak pants, sweatshirts or jackets? I was going to go outta my way to stop at the WM in Plymouth on the way home tonight to check it out. I won't bother if they don't carry much.

dicks might still have some on clearance. Bought a $120 jumpsuit for $30. If not, go to an army surplus store. for around $100 you should be able to get some nice pants, jacket, and n a shirt to go under your jacket. I have some in digital jungle camouflage. They work great.

Never seen much at walmart, dicks has a decent selection and the pricing isnt terrible.

Id like to know where this guy got his camo..

[video]http://www.viddler.com/explore/thechive/videos/372/[/video]

All I found was a Mossy Oak baseball cap ($3) and a Realtree longsleeve T ($7). Hey its a start! I'll have to check out DSG sometime this weekend. (I didn't want to type 'I'll have to check out dicks this weekend')

Walmart in Walpole has a whole rack full of Remington Jackets and Bibs right now, all Real Tree Camo I believe. Each piece is currently on sale for $45 bucks. There in a rack right near the ammo / fishing supplies in the back of the store. Its all cold weather stuff too.

Last edited:
Re: Dance ASSassin (surprised bro didn't get smacked a few times.)
I think that actual "ghillie" is being sold in Cabela's current catalog for $89 on their 50th anniv. one shot sale.

Re: Turkey - seriously, is the camo really needed within your blind?

Never seen much at walmart, dicks has a decent selection and the pricing isnt terrible.

Id like to know where this guy got his camo..

[video]http://www.viddler.com/explore/thechive/videos/372/[/video]

HAHAHAHAHHA, i want the trash bag camo.

The little green sticker is supposed to come with my turkey tags, which I've already sent in for. The used gun I bought already has one on it though, so I'm good there.

Heading to Walmart momentarily. Hope I find something usefull!

The sticker does not come with the tags. They stopped doing that years ago. You can get them by stopping in a DFW HQ or call them and they usually say to send a self addressed envelope in to them and they will mail you one. I might have still have some here as the last time I stopped I picked up a few. If you want on let me know and I will look. then you can just PM your address and I will drop it in the mail.

Diaphragm calls are terrific but they take a bit to get used to. They really cut down on your movement and if you have a box call you can sound like two hens at once.

You can also try an Army surplus store for cammo. The hunting lodge at the Dicks on Riverdale road in West Springfield is currently closed for remodeling so no ammo and guns for sure right now. It is the start of a whole store remodel that will be done piece meal. Call first if you are going to go there.

Bob

Re: Turkey - seriously, is the camo really needed within your blind?

Who says every turkey hunter uses a blind?

The sticker does not come with the tags. They stopped doing that years ago. You can get them by stopping in a DFW HQ or call them and they usually say to send a self addressed envelope in to them and they will mail you one. I might have still have some here as the last time I stopped I picked up a few. If you want on let me know and I will look. then you can just PM your address and I will drop it in the mail.

Diaphragm calls are terrific but they take a bit to get used to. They really cut down on your movement and if you have a box call you can sound like two hens at once.

You can also try an Army surplus store for cammo. The hunting lodge at the Dicks on Riverdale road in West Springfield is currently closed for remodeling so no ammo and guns for sure right now. It is the start of a whole store remodel that will be done piece meal. Call first if you are going to go there.

Bob

I went to Dick's in Plymouth last night (I had no idea it was right freakin' next to WM!) and got some polyester pants and a pullover shirt. "Break-up Infinity" I believe is the name of the camo?

I don't need the green sticker since the gun I bought for turkey already has one on it. Thanks for the offer though!

What the hell is a safety sticker and why do you have to have one while hunting turkeys?

It's a little green sticker that says "be safe" or some stupid shit on it, that has to be on your turkey gun where you can see it while looking down the sights. Apparently too many yokels were shooting other yokels, thinking they were turkeys, so clearly a sticker was the solution.

It's a little green sticker that says "be safe" or some stupid shit on it, that has to be on your turkey gun where you can see it while looking down the sights. Apparently too many yokels were shooting other yokels, thinking they were turkeys, so clearly a sticker was the solution.

Well that's just brilliant.

Maybe they should hand out sticker to gangbangers in Boston for the barrels of their guns. They could say "Don't Shoot People: It's Against The Law!"

Problem solved.

What the hell is a safety sticker and why do you have to have one while hunting turkeys?

It's to ensure you're safe. :D I read it's a must in the regs.

45collector said:
Who says every turkey hunter uses a blind?
Are you saying people spot and stalk turkey? To be honest, I don't know the reality, and intend to look like an idjit this spring as I learn.

Are you saying people spot and stalk turkey? To be honest, I don't know the reality, and intend to look like an idjit this spring as I learn.

Most everyone I know that hunts turkey gets all camo'd up, finds a tree, sits up against it, and starts calling. I don't think I know anyone who hunts turkey with a blind (not saying it isn't done!). The guy that taught my hunter safety course apparently was a fan of spot-n-stalk (or, as he called it, run-n-gun), but I don't think too many people do that, as you're probably most likely to get shot that way.

In case you missed it...
me said:
To be honest, I don't know the reality, and intend to look like an idjit this spring as I learn.
so yeah, yuck it up, we didn't have turkey hunting (or hunters) where I grew up in NV.

atmay said:
as you're probably most likely to get shot that way.
How is that possible with the safety sticker on the shotgun?

Most everyone I know that hunts turkey gets all camo'd up, finds a tree, sits up against it, and starts calling. I don't think I know anyone who hunts turkey with a blind (not saying it isn't done!). The guy that taught my hunter safety course apparently was a fan of spot-n-stalk (or, as he called it, run-n-gun), but I don't think too many people do that, as you're probably most likely to get shot that way.

Definitely put your back up against a big tree. I have had shot ripping through the trees near me more than once and that damn sticker didn't help me a bit.[smile]
In the 2008 season some of the pellets hit the tree I was leaning against. I past another hunter on my way in and I called in a bird about 1-11/2 hours later. I got busted by the bird and the bird went between us (he had moved closer to me. I believe that he was stalking the bird that was coming in to my calls.) and he shot the bird without any regard to where I was. He knew I was there I had walked past him earlier and he saw the hollow that I went into. BTW I found out later that he had shot another hunter years ago with bird shot. What happened after is another story.

I don't do a lot of hunting for turkeys anymore. I never hunt them on a Saturday.

Run-n-gun is different than spot-n-stalk. In many states it is illegal to stalk turkeys because of the danger.

Bob

Definitely put your back up against a big tree. I have had shot ripping through the trees near me more than once and that damn sticker didn't help me a bit.[smile]
In the 2008 season some of the pellets hit the tree I was leaning against.
I uh, wow. I'm a bit surprised here Bob. "Know your backstop." Never thought turkey hunters hunker down for their own personal safety. Jesus.
HorizontalHunter said:
BTW I found out later that he had shot another hunter years ago with bird shot. What happened after is another story.
How in the hell is that DB still hunting?!

HorizontalHunter said:
Run-n-gun is different than spot-n-stalk. In many states it is illegal to stalk turkeys because of the danger.
Well, time to find a good chair then. WTF.

Turkey hunting on public land is by nature dangerous. You go out of your way to conceal yourself and then try to vocally call a vocal bird into range which in turn can lure in other hunters who cannot see you because you have concealed yourself.....

Remember there are just as many stupid people hunting percentagewise as there are in any other activity.

Again, why I only hunt private lands.

Turkey hunting on public land is by nature dangerous. You go out of your way to conceal yourself and then try to vocally call a vocal bird into range which in turn can lure in other hunters who cannot see you because you have concealed yourself.....

Remember there are just as many stupid people hunting percentagewise as there are in any other activity.

Again, why I only hunt private lands.

This is also the reason that, while turkey hunting, it is important to be 100% camo'd. When you're calling, you want other hunters to see nothing but trees. Showing any little bit of flesh, or other colors (especially red!) can have disastrous results.

Be safe out there folks.

Back
Top Bottom