• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does target type matter?

I noticed yesterday that I do much better shooting larger targets, like those man-like paper ones, than small standard slow-fire targets. I mean, more bullets lay closer to the center of the target. Anyone has suggestions, why is that?
Just please don't try to assume that I just like to shoot people [wink]

When you say man-like do you mean the pictures of people or the out line of the person with center hit circles?

From my experience, if theres to much detail in the target its-self, then your eye is drawn to the detail instead of focussing on your front sight... Less detail, better focus on front sight more accurate shot placement. I could be wrong, and anybody elses input or corrections are welcomed....

Last edited:
It's an easier sight picture to aquire. Also check if the rings are the same size. The ten ring on a 50 yd. bull is bigger than that of a 25 yd. bull. So if you shoot at the 50 yarder at 25 yards you'll probably do twice as good.

I use paper plates (the dessert plates if I can find them) from Walmart. Sometimes, I'll draw a dot or a plus sign in the middle. I will put them four or five across in two rows. This allows eight or ten targets and double-tap practice if I feel like it.

The less distraction the target provides, the easier it is to focus on the sights, also with bigger more simpler target you can make easier sight adjustments by watching the hits on the target....

Also, look at the color. I find that a target with alot of black makes it harder then if there is alot of white to contrast the sights.

Try putting a tiny dot (one of those little stickers) on a large inverted (blank) white target.

I always shoot better when I'm shooting reactive targets. Always. Doesn't really matter what it is.

I remember taking a class with Jim Conway a couple of years ago. I shot alright, but not really great, all day long. At the end he pulled out a swinging plate and I hammered the thing from 50ft. It's all in the head.

Last edited:
I use paper plates (the dessert plates if I can find them)

Same here, the cheaper, the better. The contract on our target carriers is enough to make out in all lighting conditions. I find that the smaller targets forces better shooting habits as there is less margin of error.

Right. But What I see is a better grouping and a higher score on a large target, not just hitting it.

You may be trying too hard with the target targets (you know what I meant [grin]) than the silhouettes. Try not sweating it too much and you may shoot a little better. One other thing could be that the larger size silhouettes provide more for your peripheral vision to orient to. Try putting a target inside a silhouette at the spot you normally group when it is not there and see if that also causes you to shoot better. If so, you likely have good peripheral vision. That is great to have in tactical situations, but a pain to overcome with target shooting. See other's posts on focusing more.

I noticed yesterday that I do much better shooting larger targets, like those man-like paper ones, than small standard slow-fire targets. I mean, more bullets lay closer to the center of the target. Anyone has suggestions, why is that? Just please don't try to assume that I just like to shoot people [wink]
Can only offer what seems to work best for me. I use plain 8 1/2 x 11 paper with a Birchwood Casey, orange, self adhesive dot in the middle of it....either 2" or 3"....depending on distance. Use these for both zeroing and practice. I find that if you can keep right around those "dots", you are probably good to go. Been away from all competition for about 20 years and am finding that these dots on plain white paper help the ancient eyes concentrate on a small area. I figure if I can hit 3" , I should be able to hit 8 or 10 (hopefully).[grin] Grin, of course reflexes and timing are also 20 years older. [rofl] Try the plain white paper to experiment and see how it works for you.

Target type matters a lot - you'll shoot as you train. Do you ever expect to be attacked by a big dot?

Nope, not unless the dots are actually "bots" from another galaxy intent on taking over the planet. [rofl] However, the dots are usefull tools and aid in zeroing, training, and accuracy. Does the venue matter? Is not pinpoint accuracy (as much as possible) the goal....no matter t
he circumstance?[wink]

Try turning the small target around and shoot the blank side. When you finish and look at the target side you might be surprised.

Also, look at the color. I find that a target with alot of black makes it harder then if there is alot of white to contrast the sights.

Try putting a tiny dot (one of those little stickers) on a large inverted (blank) white target.

I find this true also.

I might add to this that bigger vs smaller is a bit of a psychology - your mind thinks it can hit something bigger easier than something smaller. when, in fact, what you hit is only as big as the 'bullet" mark it makes regardless of the size of the target or the distance.

Last edited:

Grin, that's exactly what I'm saying. The plain white background will aid in zeroing and focus, and once that is down, the rest should relatively fall into place.

The less distraction the target provides, the easier it is to focus on the sights, also with bigger more simpler target you can make easier sight adjustments by watching the hits on the target....

What you say is true, BUT by "watching" the hits on the target anyone will have a tendency to ignore the front sight. Not consciously, but igore nonetheless. The tendency will be to look at the target...and when you do, you lose sight picture and alignment.

Grin, after all my time away, I find myself falling into this trap and have to mentally kick myself in the ass to ignore the target/plate and really concentrate on the sight picture.

Its been a long time but I know that the human eye can only truly "focus" on one thing at a time. Its either the sights or the target, and if you see the target, you are not seeing the sights.

Grin, digging up the old mantra....front sight, front sight, front sight [rofl]

Same here, the cheaper, the better. The contract on our target carriers is enough to make out in all lighting conditions. I find that the smaller targets forces better shooting habits as there is less margin of error.

I will add another. I buy 6" and 8" paper plates. If I want to do precision, I use a red Sharpie draw a couple lines across the plate.

When I practice for 22 bulls eye, I use the proper targets.

The target makes no difference really, it is all in your mind. Focus on your front sight, press the trigger, and follow through.

An now my usual plug:

If you want range time Yelena, send me an e mail. I will teach you trigger control in a couple hours.

Ray, I agree with you, what I didnt clearify and I should have was, after taking the first shot on a "plain" or "less detailed" target say, pause after your follow through, and look at your target make adjustments and refocus sights and try again....

I think what hasn't been mentioned is the type of shooter we are talking about. The target required for a brand new shooter would not be the same for someone who has mastered the basics and is looking to sharper his/her abilities.

Also taking into consideration the type of shooting, slow & controled, fast and practical etc... has to do with the scenario as well..

Back
Top Bottom