Does H4552 Cover Thompson Center?

I contacted GOAL to find out if this Bill will make TC handguns legal to purchase in MA. There answer was if it was designed as a target pistol. I'm not sure if they were designed for hunting or target but I know they're widely used for silhouette shooting. Does anyone know? I've always wanted one and waited too long, 1998 rolled around and crushed my dreams[angry]

Other handguns I'd like to see made compliant are the Savage Stryker and the Rem XP-100.

I doubt it. The TC as I recall from back in the 1970s when I bought mine, was advertised as a hunting gun . . . which later became popular for silhouette shooting. I'd be surprised if the AG would extend the "target gun" definition to include it.

H4552 has no procedure for certifying that a gun is "target", so dealers will have to decide if they are willing to risk a felony charge if the state disagrees with their conclusion with respect to guns not on the list.

Unlike the AG regs which are civil, a "list violation" is a criminal offense. Too bad GOAL didn't include a procedure for guns to be certified as "Target", which one could then use to convince dealers as to the applicability of that status relative to the AG list.

Given the AG's track record, it is very likely it will not be possible to obtain a determination if the state will accept the assetion that a particular gun is designed solely for formal target shooting.

Single action revolvers were designed for personal protection back in the late 1800's, yet they're one of the firearms that would be made legal to own under this Bill. The TC being much newer, and much more practical for target shooting should have been written into this Bill. Think about it, "single shot" like some benchrest rifles? Makes sense to me. I don't think too many bad guys want a single shot pistol chambered in .221 Fireball.

I read it, it sounds like GOAL dropped the ball. Why would I go out and buy a single action revolver when my Smith 629 will do more? and it's already legal to buy. A list should have been included in this Bill, if not it's all a waste of time. The AG's criteria for meeting his standards is inside his tweeked brain, it's not in writing which leaves him free to sue anyone he feels like during that particular day. This is why most handgun manufacturers won't submit their products to this state.

Nothing is clear, if you FEEL it meets his standards go ahead and sell it, but if HE feels it doesn't meet his standards he'll see you in court. I wish the voters would Wake TF up and vote him out.

Savage110FP said:
Why would I go out and buy a single action revolver when my Smith 629 will do more? and it's already legal to buy.

I know what you're saying... But when it comes to single action, Rugers are the only MA approved Firearm. So, this way, it opens ALL single actions up. And there are A LOT of cowboy action shooters in this state.

And, I really think that this is just a copy of the CA bill that they put out there to let them do the same thing.

LenS said:
I'd be surprised if the AG would extend the "target gun" definition to include it.

As I understand the bill, the inclusion of the EXACT same language in the MGL as the AG used in the regs means that the SAME procedure applies: The manufacturer certifies a given model as being "designed and produced solely for formal target shooting competition" and the onus is then on the AG to challenge that assertion.

NOTE: The AG will look at past advertising to see if the given model was ever marketed for NON-target uses; i.e., hunting or "plinking." Ask Ruger!

Back
Top Bottom