• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does anyone shoot a S&W 1911 9mm Pro series competitively?

That and we have some fun props/stages you do not see in USPSA.

This thread has me thinking....
http://www.brazoscustom.com/sti_guns/Trojan 5.htm

Great minds think alike [wink]. I'm still trying to decide between 9mm and .40. If you reload you could go .40 and run ESP and USPSA single stack with minor loads and Tripp "system" 10 round mags. You could go for major and shoot USPSA single stack major or limited-10.

You guys put way too much thought into these things... just man up and buy one already! [laugh]

Still thinking about it! Shooting in ESP makes Master par times just that much faster, though... [crying]

A couple bunches of dollars might get put aside this week, even so.

Last edited:
It's the toolman not the tool.

Oh, I know, and if I go and use that tool, this tool(man) has to go that much faster to hit the classifier times. I'm not convinced that a fancy magwell and a single-action trigger will actually make me 10 seconds faster. Said another way, it seems easier to make Master in SSP than ESP.

EDIT: If one's goal is to shoot faster, it probably makes more sense to shoot what you have than to run out and get a cool toy that might be slightly slicker.

Then again.... cool toy.

Last edited:
Great minds think alike [wink]. I'm still trying to decide between 9mm and .40. If you reload you could go .40 and run ESP and USPSA single stack with minor loads and Tripp "system" 10 round mags. You could go for major and shoot USPSA single stack major or limited-10.

The Tripp 10 round mags will not fit in the "box" for Single Stack. The Wilson .65 extended base for the 47d mags need to be cut at an angle to fit. Also, major in Single Stack is limited to 8 rounds in the magazine.

The Tripp 10 round mags will not fit in the "box" for Single Stack. The Wilson .65 extended base for the 47d mags need to be cut at an angle to fit. Also, major in Single Stack is limited to 8 rounds in the magazine.

Is this true with the Tripp "system" mags that aren't listed on the website and you have to call up and ask for? I know they fit in the IDPA box but it looks like the IDPA box is 2.4mm taller. I know that major is limited to 8 but I was trying to get one gun setup that I could use for IDPA ESP, USPSA SS minor/major, Limited 10, and walls of steel. If that doesn't work I would just get a 9mm and not worry about SS major and limited-10 major.

Is this true with the Tripp "system" mags that aren't listed on the website and you have to call up and ask for? I know they fit in the IDPA box but it looks like the IDPA box is 2.4mm taller. I know that major is limited to 8 but I was trying to get one gun setup that I could use for IDPA ESP, USPSA SS minor/major, Limited 10, and walls of steel. If that doesn't work I would just get a 9mm and not worry about SS major and limited-10 major.
I'm not aware of any "super secret, double probation" mags from Tripp. I don't think it is physically possible to put 10 rounds of .40, a spring and follower into a short enough tube.

Here is my 2 cents which is probably what its worth. I tried the 9mm 1911 thing and I found that switching guns didn't make me a better shooter, just a shooter with a different gun.

In IDPA a lot of us shoot our SSP gun in ESP. I think staying with the same platform helps.

I have time with both the S&W 1911 pro and the STI Trojan and I think the Trojan is a lot better.

If I was set on buying a 1911 for both games I would buy a .40 instead of 9mm so I could load minor for IDPA ESP and major for USPSA SS and LIM 10.

I have a Caspian 9mm 1911. Love it. Cheap, a blast to shoot, and runs awesome (Tripp 10rd or "Springfield" 9rd). However, I would go .40 Trojan in a minute if I wanted to be competitive.

Actually, last year when Todd Jarrett left Para and he had the option to shoot any brand in the Single Stack Nats, he went with an STI Trojan in .40.

I like the undercut frames of Trojans.

I'd like to see it fit the box. If it did, why is it so secret? It makes no sense to make a product and not let people know it exists.
But, to quote someone I know...."but, I don't know nuthin"

I don't disagree with you, it does seem kind of silly. I don't have any first hand knowledge, I'm just weighing my options and doing some research.

I don't disagree with you, it does seem kind of silly. I don't have any first hand knowledge, I'm just weighing my options and doing some research.

I just called them on my futuristic portable microwave emitter, but nobody is answering but their answering machine. I guess it will remain a mystery!

9pro.jpg

I picked it up at FS. I put a deposit down Tuesday morning and they said it would likely be a few weeks. They called back less than 2 hours later and said that one had just come in. [laugh]

Going to test it out first thing tomorrow.

I picked it up at FS. I put a deposit down Tuesday morning and they said it would likely be a few weeks. They called back less than 2 hours later and said that one had just come in. [laugh]

Going to test it out first thing tomorrow.

Nice!! Hey, give us an update on how you like it, picky ammo problems, etc. If you can give us a 1000-1500 round range report that would be great too. I might be looking to get one later into 2011 after I save some dough.

Little disappointed so far. Put about 125 of WWB and Federal through it today. Shoots great, but had at least 1-2 FTEs with each mag. The case is extracted but it looks like the extractor is losing the case before it hits bthe ejector, and ejection is sort of weak as well - most of the cases drop about 1-2 feet to the right.

Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom