Does anyone shoot a S&W 1911 9mm Pro series competitively?

The two that came with it and two Wilson combat mags.

That's your problem right there. Metalform mags if you want to be able to reload on a closed slide reliably. I'm sure you can cut the springs on the Wilsons, but the Metalforms are cheaper to start with.

That's your problem right there. Metalform mags if you want to be able to reload on a closed slide reliably. I'm sure you can cut the springs on the Wilsons, but the Metalforms are cheaper to start with.

Or use Dawson Precision mags. They work very well in my Dan Wesson PM9.

What mags are you using?

This. If you haven't already try Dawson Precision. They are not cheap, but they are worth it and work well with their ICE magwell. Also don't be afraid to really slam the mag in.

001_012__99959.1438097583.1280.1280.jpg

Or use Dawson Precision mags. They work very well in my Dan Wesson PM9.

Dawson Precision mags are private labeled Metalform mags w the Dawson Basepad.

If you are running a Magwell they're worth getting as the basepads extend a bit further. Just make sure you don't get the No Gap pads / mags if you don't have a no-gap Ice Magwell - your ejector will thank you.

Will they still come with a pad long enough to extend below the Smith and Wesson mag well when you order with the no gap Pad?

I have both Dawson mag baseplates as I bought the mags before getting a magwell. When I got the magwell I threw on the the no gap magwell baseplates. Anyway, they both extend out from my Dan Wesson, with and without the magwell. I'd imagine the S&W frame is similar specs to the DW or any other 9mm 1911? Not sure.

Will they still come with a pad long enough to extend below the Smith and Wesson mag well when you order with the no gap Pad?

DO NOT order w/ the No Gap Basepad UNLESS you have a Dawson No Gap Ice Magwell.

The no-gap basepads have no stop on the front of the mag to prevent over insertion - instead they are stopped by the Magwell.

Using them with a carry Magwell (like an Ed Brown) or even the regular Ice Magwell means your ejector will be stopping them if you insert them with an open slide. They will likely get jammed in the ejector and cause some fun malfs

In Short:

The length of the basepads for gap / no-gap are the same. The difference is if there is a stop on the front side of the mag.

Only get no-gap if you have a Dawson ice no-gap Magwell.

If you are running a standard open front carry style Magwell, the factory mecgar basepads will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom