• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does anyone here from MA actually OWN a Vepr 12 shotgun?

And if so, how did you get it... I'm having a wicked time getting one...

My FFL(s) will only accept a Vepr 12 with:
a.) No threaded barrel...
b.) A fixed stock with no pistol grip...
c.) A five round mag...

I've spent weeks talking with 'experts' who say, "This should be MA compliant", or "That should be MA compliant", but the bottom line always comes down to the distributors and FFL guys, and the three requirements above seem to be what's acceptable to them...

So has any MA resident here actually managed to buy the Vepr 12? And if so how, and who did you go to?

Thanks in advance...

Alan

stormy-weather.jpg

Saiga 12 is similar. Pistol grip is AWB problem. Shotgun detachable mags are limited to 5 rds in MA. Threaded barrel should not be an AWB problem for a shotgun as it is not on the shotgun evil feature list.

any shop should be able to make it mass compliant for you if they have the set up, we got one in here for a customer not too long ago. it was already made compliant by the place that sent it, but it would be not a ton of effort to pin and weld a muzzle break, pin the stock, etc.
try another FFL if your usual ones are not willing... it can be done!

Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies... Here's what I'm facing:

* I had one FFL say, "Ummm... The grip doesn't look 'MA friendly', so I won't accept..." I had another FFL flat-out refuse to deal in ANY semi-auto rifles or shotguns... not even a 10/22...
* On the other side of the coin, I had one major distributor refuse to send any guns to MA.
* And just when I thought that I've got the right configuration, either the dist. or FFL backs out. Truth be told, everybody is afraid of the state and the ATF...

Not sure what to do... I suppose I could have a friend buy it in Nevada, change the stock and make it un undeniably MA compliant, and then sell it to me via my local FFL so that all is perfectly legal, but that is such a pain...

Alan

Hi,

* I had one FFL say, "Ummm... The grip doesn't look 'MA friendly', so I won't accept..." I had another FFL flat-out refuse to deal in ANY semi-auto rifles or shotguns... not even a 10/22...
* On the other side of the coin, I had one major distributor refuse to send any guns to MA.
* And just when I thought that I've got the right configuration, either the dist. or FFL backs out. Truth be told, everybody is afraid of the state and the ATF...

Not sure what to do... I suppose I could have a friend buy it in Nevada, change the stock and make it un undeniably MA compliant, and then sell it to me via my local FFL so that all is perfectly legal, but that is such a pain...

Alan

Alan, I think your last idea is probably the best of all, at least from a simplicity standpoint. Have him throw a thumbhole stock on it to get around the pistol grip issue. Threaded barrel is a non-issue unless the barrel itself (without muzzle device) is less than 18", then it would have to be pinned for NFA reasons, not MA law. If it has any mags over 5 rounds just have him mail those directly to you as obviously the FFL can't let you have those. To simplify, just have any accessories, including mag(s) mailed to you separately and just run the gun itself through the FFL.

I have seen plenty of them with wood furniture thumb hole in Ma. Usually in a rifle caliber but cant see why that stock wouldn't be available for the shotgun.

Hi Busa et al,

Thanks again all for the replies...

Busa, I think you indirectly spoke to the heart of the matter concerning the thumb hole -- while it may be legal on a rifle, or for that matter, the Vepr 12 itself, that doesn't mean that the FFL will accept it. I got great assurance from one FFL was that the AR/AK style was fine complete with the pistol grip, but I wanted him to look at the Vepr 12 itself... He Googled on it and took one look, and said, "Whoa! Ummm... That doesn't look MA friendly... I wouldn't accept shipment..."

I looked into this further, and once a distributor alters a gun and the FFL refuses shipment, the re-stocking charge back to the distributor can be as much as 50% of the gun because the gun can't be sold as advertised. It has to be sold as a one-of-a-kind... The cost of FFL refusing shipment is a lot of money. So I have to get this right the first time. That's the reason for this post. I need to find the right distributor/FFL combo so that the process goes smoothly.

Alan

P.S. Here is an example of a distributor who doesn't want to fuss with the insanity of the state of MA: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/feeds/state_reg/massachusetts_restrictions.pdf... Can't say that I blame them.

Last edited:
I don't get why a FFl won't accept it with a thumb hole stock or a rifle style like non converted saigas.
Friendly ffl's normally just hold /sell/throw away mags that are too big for me.
The threaded barrel thing is a joke how else do you swap chokes .
I've seen plenty of s12's with thumb hole stocks and all tactically done up being sold in mass.

Good luck . They make a damn nice ak.

Hi WarwickBen,

Concerning the thumbhole...

Maybe I can explain why an FFL dealer might refuse to sell certain things -- he just doesn't need the hassle. I'll give you an example close to home... As a hobby, I collect and sell knives... nothing big... just some pocket money... There is a type of knife called a 'snapshot' or a spring assist. I refuse to sell that type of knife because I've clawed my way through the Mass General Laws and found a mention of an assist open knife being illegal. What type of assist open knife is up for conjecture... switchblade? front thrust? spring assist? I have no idea. (As a matter of fact, the Cape's legendary Goose Hummock sells a spring assist: http://stores.goose.com/benchmade-tanto-axis/...) But I refuse to sell them. Why? because I don't need the hassle. I don't need to stand in court and plead my case knowing that some liberal MA DA and some liberal MA judge has convicted me of something before the trial begins. I don't tip at windmills.

So, analogously, I can see why some FFL dealers and some distributors don't want to get tangled in the insanity of MA quasi laws.Today, the agenda matters at least as much as the law, and in MA, the liberal agenda is powerful indeed.

Thanks,

Alan

Yup,

Just had another distributor back out... The requirements seem so simple, (no threaded barrel, max 5 rnd mag, and fixed stock with no pistol grip) but when push comes to shove... I've got to find a distributor and a FFL dealer who are on the same page and can make this happen, or this isn't going to work...

Alan

Talk to a nh Ffl . Have them order it should be no problem. You can buy long guns out of state and drive them home.

The threaded muzzle thing is a joke . My dad bought a s12 at collectors in Stoneham two days after newtown shooting . Threaded barrel and rifle style stock.

Talk to a nh Ffl . Have them order it should be no problem. You can buy long guns out of state and drive them home.

The threaded muzzle thing is a joke . My dad bought a s12 at collectors in Stoneham two days after newtown shooting . Threaded barrel and rifle style stock.

Not sure why threaded muzzles even come into play here as they're not currently, and never were a prohibited feature on semi-auto shotguns...

a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--

`(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

`(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

`(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and

`(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.'.

Hi,

Alan

Your doing it wrong

This from Cassadilla
"any shop should be able to make it mass compliant for you if they have the set up, we got one in here for a customer not too long ago. it was already made compliant by the place that sent it, but it would be not a ton of effort to pin and weld a muzzle break, pin the stock, etc.
try another FFL if your usual ones are not willing... it can be done!"

Attachments

• Vepr_12 - 01.jpg
    Vepr_12 - 01.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Vepr_12 - 02.jpg
    Vepr_12 - 02.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom