Do you guys buy pre-ban ar-15 mags?

Hello,

So I am a bit torn between paying 30~45 bucks for a preban ar-15 mag or buying a 10 pack of 10 round magpul ones for 110 bucks. So I was wondering, do you guys have pre-ban ar-15 mags or did you just buy the 10 rounders?

the magpul 10 rounders are really nice. for the range i feel they are perfect. also for me i save $$ when i'm using 10 round magazines because I overall shoot less and focus on hitting my target more.
one other benefit is my woman can load them easily compared to a larger capacity mag. they also come with a nice magazine cover.

i'm not knocking pre-ban 20/30 rounders. they are also nice and probably better for a SHTF scenario. but for me 5.56 shooting is recreational so I am quite happy w the PMAGs.

Pre-bans that I paid as high as $30 last year when I first got an AR to as low as 15 recently. The $15 ones look pretty beat up but they function perfectly. There are deals out there you just have to look hard for them.

I've got a few 10 rounders for the range, but most of my mags are 20's and 30's pre-ban. And you shouldn't have to pay $30-45 for them. That is rape pricing.

the magpul 10 rounders are really nice. for the range i feel they are perfect. also for me i save $$ when i'm using 10 round magazines because I overall shoot less and focus on hitting my target more.
one other benefit is my woman can load them easily compared to a larger capacity mag. they also come with a nice magazine cover.

i'm not knocking pre-ban 20/30 rounders. they are also nice and probably better for a SHTF scenario. but for me 5.56 shooting is recreational so I am quite happy w the PMAGs.
I'd mostly use them for range shooting as well. I plan to move away from MA in the next 2 year or so, how would I unload my 10 round mags then?

I have prebans and a few 10-rounders. I pay just under $20 for the prebans; deals come up now and then. I agree with Squib that the 10-rounders help focus on hitting the target and taking a little more time for each shot; it's just kind of innate b/c I know in the back of my mind that I'll have to stop and reload, so I prolong the enjoyment of shooting. [laugh]

So u buy 1 pre ban 30rd fpr 45 dollers or you can get 4 10 rd pmags for same price, which doing a quick change of a mag only takes a few seconds so if shtf those pmags will do just fine.

I have a couple of ten rounders which I use mainly, and hold my pre-bans in reserve "just in case"...and I am not a prepper, but ya never know [wink]

^^This

Agree that the magazine limitations in MA are absurd. I think we all agree on that topic. The OP wasn't focused on that question though.

I do not own 10rd PMags because I'm afraid to own larger capacity mags. It's not like I "caved in" from my fear of big brother and so I stuck with 10 rd PMags.

Honestly even if we had no magazine restrictions or pre-ban considerations, I would still own a half dozen of the 10 rd PMags.
Why? Many reasons.

1. Hunting
2. Super lightweight
3. Sighting in scope at the range (10 rds is perfect. If i can't do it in 10 rds I should just go home).
4. Fits in pocket
5. If teaching a new shooter 10 rds at a time is perfect. It also teaches them how to change mags and cycle the action manually. The worst thing to do is hand a new shooter a 30 rd magazine and let them shoot without any understanding of the gun's action. Changing mags is a good way to learn how a gun works.
6. Soft spring tension makes easier to load. My woman can't load past 15 or so rounds in a full size 30rd magazine...spring gets too tough for her. This issue may also apply to girly men but I doubt said men would admit.
7. Reliability (10 rd mags are about as reliable as one can get)
8. Nice magazine cover - can store loaded mags and not worry about shmootz getting into mag and interfering w feeding.

One other thing...I recently saw some 10-rd mag adapters. I know Mako Group makes one that holds 5 x10 rds magazines in some "starfish" arrangement. I can't decide if it looks cool or awful. Certainly looks interesting haha. To me if you're going to bother with this stuff then you might as well just get a preban 30 rd.

Nothing wrong with 10 rounders except they lack the fun factor.

I'm not going to get butt poked in this state for over priced prebans. I'll buy brand new and keep them away from here.

I think it's good to have a bunch of both. I like to have dated pre-bans just for the warm fuzzy feeling.

You don't have to pay $35-40 for preban AR mags, unless you're lazy.

A few gun shows ago I bought some Colt preban 20s for like $20/ea.

Buying 10s is stupid unless you need to for some bizarre reason.

-Mike

I don't buy prebans because anything holding more than 10 rounds is too killy for my civilians hands to handle. /snark

In all seriousness though, the 10rd pmags are nice for bench shooting.

Refinishing prebans and adding anti tilt followers is very satisfying, too.

Using 10 rd mags in an AR is like having a 30mph speed limiter in a 1,000 hp muscle car sure you'll get where you need to go but it won't be nearly as fun.

Back
Top Bottom