Do we have a right to protect our property?

In Rhode Island, where I live, good people unfortunately do not have right to use guns to protect their property. But that actually looks like nothing but 911 call can be used for it.
For example, if the burglar breaks into my house and my dog bites him, he may sue me, and my dog has chances to be euthanised.
If he slips on my floor and breaks his foot, I am the one who is in trouble.
If I use a frying pan, a baseball bat, a bottle or whatever to protection, I am still in trouble.
Not even mentioning that we are not allowed to use barbed wire or electrified fence.
Because, as some beings say, "your property is less important that someone's life". But... The property in not just a material object of a certain cost. This is something we invested our hard work into. This is, possible, something we were dreaming about - think of your Dream Car, for instance. This is a part of ourselves. And what? Now we should just watch how someone who had never worked in his life, and whose dream of nothing but another dose of street drugs is taking our stuff. [angry] I am sorry, but my work and my dream worths a lot more than the life of a two-legged animal of this kind. After all, he would not survive without my tax money, because he is too lazy to work.
And still, there are enough morons who will say that "some people have rough childhood and hard life"... It is important to note that most of those morons live in safe areas, with their cars locked in garages and their housed equipped with alarms. They do not live in a close proximity with those whose "rights" they are protecting. And while protecting "rights", they never mention responsibilities.
This is not the poor Third-World counrty, where people sometimes have to steal to feed themselves. In the US, if you have a pair of arms, pair of legs and a brain in the right part of your body, you will be able to support youself. If people commit crimes, they voluntarily choose such a lifestyle, and must be punished, not encouraged.
I came here nine years ago without a penny in my pocket and without any knowledge in English. Now, I have a college degree and two good jobs. I was not lucky, I was just working hard and am proud of myself now. While some of those who were born in the US and speak English as a first language prefer to be parasites and criminals.
What is upsetting is that good people, to whom, hopefully, I belong, really can not do anything against that. We can not even call them parasites and criminals, because they will be "traumatized". We have to teach our dogs not to protect our houses, we have to make sure that there is no risk for the burglas to hurt himself while taking our stuff away. In other words, we are forced to create a criminal-friendly house. That looks like in ten more years we will have to offer a criminal breaking into our place a complimentary cup of coffee and a free same-day delivery!

Yelena,

First, welcome to America. Someone who works hard, like you, will surely succeed.

Second, it's not that bleak - even in Rhode Island. See the following:

http://www.courts.state.ri.us/superior/pdf/State v. Paolantonio K2-2006-0262A filed.pdf

<snip>
Finally, the Defendant argues that the Court must also consider other statutory
rights, including the “Castle Doctrine,” contained in G.L. 1956 § 11-8-8. That statute
generally provides that there is no duty on the part of an owner, tenant, or occupier of a
dwelling or place of business to retreat from any person engaged in breaking and
entering.
<end snip>

Ninemil, that sounds hopeful... However, I had heared and read about good people getting in trouble with law for trying to protect themselves and their belongness. Well, the only positive thing is that it can be worse. In my old country people basically have no right for self-defense.

Jhblaze1: OMG... The science tells that a laugh helps to prolong the life [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom