• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do NESers actually shoot their guns?

"complete set of spare parts", including the serialized part

I know a lot of guys will buy a "complete set of spare parts" and that gun never does leave the safe.

I own far too many firearms to put 1000s of rounds thru them all. I have my favorites. Those of which I wouldn't sell anyways. I think I have 5 guns that I still haven't taken out yet.

Exactly why the question in the OP is realistic. Many of us here have the addictive personality issue of buying guns to have them, whether by impulse or otherwise, then don't have time to shoot them all. In my case, between work and family obligations I don't get to go to the range nearly as often as I would prefer, and if I were to advertise a gun and say it had 50 rounds or less through it, it would be true for several guns. Hell, sometimes I've bought a gun, and never got to put a single round through it for months just because I had no time to get to the range! I don't however have ANY guns that I don't like, or won't shoot, otherwise I wouldn't have them at all. I've also never sold a gun, only traded a couple, and ended up regretting that, so I only buy at this point.

I have three 9mm Shields. One does most of the range time. One get carried and shot once in rare while to rotate ammo and ensure function, one has not been shot since I got it back from Greg Derr. If I ever change to a different carry gun you will see one with some holster wear but low round count, one with pretty much no round count and one with a few thousand rounds up for sale.

Same with my ARs. One does most of the shooting.

Then there are a couple of guns I own because I just like them, but they only get to the range once every few years and shoot maybe 50 rounds when they do.

Then there are some, like a few of my .22s that see a thousand or two rounds a year.

OP: I've noticed the same thing and asked the same question in the past. No idea why anyone would want to sell anything so new or not even shot.

It's the nature of every guy-hobby (guns, photography, woodworking, cycling) to buy and sell a lot of gear.

Almost every post in the classified is for NIB or like new, less than 300 (200, 150, 100) rounds down the pipe, etc. It makes one start to wonder if anyone actually SHOOTS their damn guns?

50 rounds shot and put in the safe for 19 years
Immaculate condition under 200 rounds

I don't own any guns with that few rounds fired

Dude, does it matter? Shut up and stop letting out well kept secrets. Smart people only buy their guns used off of NES because they're guaranteed to have less than 500 rounds through them:p

- - - Updated - - -

Round count is arbitrary or useless. It's the gunners version of "I once caught a fish this big"

for a handgun maybe...?

Almost every post in the classified is for NIB or like new, less than 300 (200, 150, 100) rounds down the pipe, etc. It makes one start to wonder if anyone actually SHOOTS their damn guns?

50 rounds shot and put in the safe for 19 years
Immaculate condition under 200 rounds

I don't own any guns with that few rounds fired

NIB= unfired, not sure why NES decided its every gun with 2000 rounds or less.
it must be the same crew that decided that adding a red dot on a firearm makes it custom.

that being said I do have a 10/22 that i have no fired and its brand new in the box, but i also have 2 other 10/22s that i have about 3-4k rounds through each.

- - - Updated - - -

It's the nature of every guy-hobby (guns, photography, woodworking, cycling) to buy and sell a lot of gear.

i hated selling bikes. especially my last few bikes I cried after each sale.
still have not sold a gun.

I'm sure there's lots of people who buy guns on a whim, or because it's a good deal and don't get much use out of them. I have a 10/22 that I've had for years and never fired a single round through it. Also bought a Heritage rough rider last Christmas because it was on sale for a good price, haven't put a single round through that either.

Speaking for myself, I rarely shoot my guns. I don't really enjoy shooting believe it or not.

I mean, yeah it's fun, but I guarantee I enjoy it less than 90% of the guys on here. The reason I shoot is to remain proficient so I can defend myself and my family.

Also ammo is expensive, I have very little time because of work and kids, etc.

I probably shoot once a year at work and 2-3 times at the range I belong to.

Wow, appreciate the honesty and restraint here. I have a serious problem. I absolutely love shooting, literally everything about it. From packing up my gear, unpacking at the range, shooting the guns, the smell of the gun powder, the coolness factor, the comradery amongst shooters, and yes, even cleaning my guns. Sometimes I even go in the safe multiple times a day just to check on the kids, maybe pick a gun up, fondle it, rack the slide etc.. I admit, maybe i'm over the top, but I literally enjoy every single aspect of shooting. When I drive away from the range after a session, i'm already thinking about the next time I can go. I try to get to the range 2-3 times a month, but it can be tough with 3 kids, full time job and now a head coach of a youth hockey team. I don't know if I will ever say I don't enjoy shooting because for right now in my life, that couldn't be further from the truth. First step in fixing a problem is admitting to having one and I fully admit that I have one.[smile]

I remember one time I let all my guns nastiness build up, use after use, just so I had a reason to spend hours and days cleaning them. Something about cracking open that bottle of #9 and being left alone in the basement while I clean away. Its relaxing to me.

Wow, appreciate the honesty and restraint here. I have a serious problem. I absolutely love shooting, literally everything about it. From packing up my gear, unpacking at the range, shooting the guns, the smell of the gun powder, the coolness factor, the comradery amongst shooters, and yes, even cleaning my guns. Sometimes I even go in the safe multiple times a day just to check on the kids, maybe pick a gun up, fondle it, rack the slide etc.. I admit, maybe i'm over the top, but I literally enjoy every single aspect of shooting. When I drive away from the range after a session, i'm already thinking about the next time I can go. I try to get to the range 2-3 times a month, but it can be tough with 3 kids, full time job and now a head coach of a youth hockey team. I don't know if I will ever say I don't enjoy shooting because for right now in my life, that couldn't be further from the truth. First step in fixing a problem is admitting to having one and I fully admit that I have one.[smile]

I remember one time I let all my guns nastiness build up, use after use, just so I had a reason to spend hours and days cleaning them. Something about cracking open that bottle of #9 and being left alone in the basement while I clean away. Its relaxing to me.

<shrug>
so what's your problem?

The only guns that I haven't fired are a couple of heirlooms that belonged to my father and grandad.
I don't sell guns, but I would NEVER sell those guns. They are for my kids and grandkids.
I buy guns to shoot.
I cant think of a single gun that I haven't been maniacally compelled to feed 300-400 rounds through it within the first 24 hours.
I rotate thought all the guns regularly because I like the variation and to be familiar/competent with many different platforms.
The handful gun models I shoot the most type that I have for home defense or SHTF. I have at least two of each of these with spare parts. Their round counts are.... high.
Gotta pew pew! [mg]

Last edited:
Just wondering why there's a lot of "never sell" opinions - don't you have some purchase you'd like to make but are limited by funds? Why not sell a gun you're not crazy about to fund purchase of a gun you'd prefer to own, or ammo, accessories etc?

Members condescend when prices are too high, when they are too low, when the items are too old and now too new?

Seriously?

Some guys here likely have too many guns to shoot them a lot, old guns that are heirlooms, guns you can't get anymore they don't want to break or shoot the hell out of..........which makes them a semi collector. They then sell the one/or ones that they don't shoot a lot or need the money to fund something else.

Also many people don't shoot self defense or CC guns a ton either, as they generally are not range guns, shoot 50 thru them every other week or so maybe just to keep practiced as should be........but.....they have range guns for that which are more accurate and shootable which may have thousands of rounds thru.

Also, it may be time constraints, ammo constraints...etc....shooting is not cheap.

Last edited:
Some guys here likely have too many guns to shoot them a lot, old guns that are heirlooms, guns you can't get anymore they don't want to break or shoot the hell out of..........which makes them a semi collector. They then sell the one/or ones that they don't shoot a lot or need the money to fund something else.

Also many people don't shoot self defense or CC guns a ton either, as they generally are not range guns, shoot 50 thru them every other week or so maybe just to keep practiced as should be........but.....they have range guns for that which are more accurate and shootable which may have thousands of rounds thru.

Also, it may be time constraints, ammo constraints...etc....shooting is not cheap.

That's a very good summary, and good point about carry guns. They usually get carried a lot, and shot very little in most cases, especially subcompacts since they aren't particularly fun to shoot, or target guns for that matter anyway. I ALWAYS make a habit of cycling at least 2 mags through whatever I'm carrying at the time just to keep proficient with it, but because of my infrequent range time these last couple of years, that may only account for a box of ammo a year. Sad, but true. It's really hilarious because the carry guns look ragged out because they get worn daily, but have super low round counts, and the range toys that are well cared for and live in the safe have 1000's through them, but look brand new!

I remember seeing an ad for an M1A, "brand-new, never fired" - I recall being surprised someone would drop that kind money on a purchase and never fire it.

I have a spreadsheet where I track round counts and last fire date on my firearms. I tend to rotate them fairly well. Some invariably get shot more than others. However I've only put 26 rounds through my 1942 Lee-Enfield (only acquired in July), but I hope to remedy that this week.

I shoot the crap out of mine. If I could get to the range and shoot 100 rounds everyday I would.
I love it.
I usually shoot at least 2-3 mags a week with my carry piece, to keep proficient with it.
shooting my shield is a bit different than shooting my M&P PC 9L with a 5" ported barrel, which is what I'm shooting all the time now
so I make a point to go back to my shield and shoot it whenever possible.
I keep them clean and lubed, but they are definitely not NIB LOL!

Notice how is always an even number of rounds. Never 234 or 506 rounds fired.

Not to be a stickler but 234 and 506 are even numbers ....

Perhaps you meant 233 or 507?

With the exception of my shotguns where we might be doing something where the activity requires a purely random amount of shells (such as Adios or shooting protection) pretty much everything I have would have been shot in units of either boxes of ammo (25/50/100 rounds) or in units of the cylinder (8 rounds) if we are talking about my .22 revolver.

I've had my barrett for 14 months and have fewer than 60 rounds through it. You do a range trip with that and 5 or 6 rounds is enough.

I also have a circa 1989 Ruger Mini-14 that probably does have fewer than 500 rounds through it. Just don't shoot it much, esp since the irons on it are getting tough with my aging eyes.

I have a remington 7400 in 30.06 with fewer than 100 through it.

I have a home defense 870 with ?maybe? 300 rounds through it.

I have a revolver in '38, my wife didn't like it. Never been shot. Same thing with a small revolver in .22. Unfired.

One of my Mosins is back in it's cosmoline, stored elsewhere with a spam can. It's a Justin Case rifle.

On the other hand, the 10-22 I bought at the same time as the Mini-14 in '89 probably has >15,000 rounds through it.
My G19 probably has 5,000 in just the last 4 years.
The kids love shooting their AR's >5000 each, the 15-22 always gets rounds, the sub2000 gets at least 100 per range trip, and when we're in NH, I will shoot off my front porch at my 100 and 300 foot range targets and we can easily go through 3000 various rifle/pistol rounds in a weekend.

Last edited:
This is exactly the reason I hang out here, I learn something new everyday! I never knew we were supposed to shoot the dammed things. Wow who knew! [shocked]

Top 5 signs you are anal-retentive

Posted March 1, 2009 in Fun

1.You keep large redundant amounts of all your sundries such as laundry detergent so that you never risk running out.
2.You don’t just sort the money in your wallet by $1, $5, $10, or $20, but also sort the bills by wear-and-tear so that you get rid of the bills in the worst shape first.
3.You look up anal-retentive to see whether it needs a hyphen.
4.You don’t just keep a grocery list, you micro-optimize order of the items on the grocery list so that you only make one pass through the grocery store.
5.After a power outage or when Daylight Savings Time starts or ends, you feel the need to set all your clocks to the same minute and second.
6.It really irritates you when someone says a list has 5 items and you count six.

[smile]

I got 4 out of 6. Used a $20 bill Friday because it was partially ripped.

Also my sister found a grocery checklist online once. She cut out all the items and rearranged them to be in the order that you would come across.them at Market Basket, glued them.to a sheet of paper and made copies. It's handy because you're checking stuff off as you come across it rather than having to constantly scan the list as you go.

Notice how is always an even number of rounds. Never 234 or 506 rounds fired.

Jesus...it's an average. When I'm selling something if I say 500 rounds fired it means from 401-599. In general....if Im taking something out of the safe it's usually getting at least 100 rounds thru it.

Exception is its a hunting rifle or big bore gun. Then its more like 20-50.....

Keeping an actual round count is really gay, unless we are talking heirloom big money guns......General ballpark is fine.

Top 5 signs you are anal-retentive

Posted March 1, 2009 in Fun

1.You keep large redundant amounts of all your sundries such as laundry detergent so that you never risk running out.
2.You don’t just sort the money in your wallet by $1, $5, $10, or $20, but also sort the bills by wear-and-tear so that you get rid of the bills in the worst shape first.
3.You look up anal-retentive to see whether it needs a hyphen.
4.You don’t just keep a grocery list, you micro-optimize order of the items on the grocery list so that you only make one pass through the grocery store.
5.After a power outage or when Daylight Savings Time starts or ends, you feel the need to set all your clocks to the same minute and second.
6.It really irritates you when someone says a list has 5 items and you count six.

[smile]

I got 4 out of 6. Used a $20 bill Friday because it was partially ripped.

Also my sister found a grocery checklist online once. She cut out all the items and rearranged them to be in the order that you would come across.them at Market Basket, glued them.to a sheet of paper and made copies. It's handy because you're checking stuff off as you come across it rather than having to constantly scan the list as you go.

I'm definitely not anal retentive. I only sort my bills by denomination, serial number. Not wear and tear...

Back
Top Bottom