Do NESers actually shoot their guns?

Just went out the other day! Only spent about 45 mins at the range, 100 rds 9mm, then it got dark. My question is, how often do nes'ers clean their guns? Usually I do each range trip, I've neglected them this month though...

"Cleaning" .....back when I was a kid my dad waited to camping season to bring any guns needing a Smith to a small place out near Orange Ma. I remember this well and the sign on his desk.
"I fix more clean guns than dirty guns"
That said I don't feel it's needed to "clean" your guns every trip. A good wipe with a cloth and some clip will go a long way to protecting it. I also give the bore a quick wet patch, dry patch, wet patch for barrel protection.
Unless I see heavy fouling in the bore I only give a good bore scrub once a year or when accuracy fades.
In my M1 garand that's about 500 rounds with the AR that's about 800 rounds. I'm not great with the hand guns so it would take a lot to see a loss in accuracy out side center mass skills.

Just went out the other day! Only spent about 45 mins at the range, 100 rds 9mm, then it got dark. My question is, how often do nes'ers clean their guns? Usually I do each range trip, I've neglected them this month though...

I used to be that guy that would clean after every range trip no matter how many rounds I shot. I stopped doing that for about a year now and only clean my guns after they have 300 (or more) rounds through them. It just became a hassle to keep up with the cleaning since I would shoot...clean...then shoot again, sometimes in the same week. Too much time cleaning, so now I stretch it out. If I go to the range and put 100 rounds down range, once I get home, back in the safe it goes until the round count hits at least 300. Even then, i've been known to let it pile up. I recently cleaned an M&P 9FS that had 1k rounds through it. [thinking]

I used to be that guy that would clean after every range trip no matter how many rounds I shot. I stopped doing that for about a year now and only clean my guns after they have 300 (or more) rounds through them. It just became a hassle to keep up with the cleaning since I would shoot...clean...then shoot again, sometimes in the same week. Too much time cleaning, so now I stretch it out. If I go to the range and put 100 rounds down range, once I get home, back in the safe it goes until the round count hits at least 300. Even then, i've been known to let it pile up. I recently cleaned an M&P 9FS that had 1k rounds through it. [thinking]
I had a Remington 870 for a little while. After about a month of ownership it developed a little surface rust. I got a little skeezed out by that so I clean everything soon after shooting. Again, maybe it waits a few days, but it's soon after.

I later learned that was sort of common for 870s until they got extra oily.

[mg] I shoot the shit out my guns, not toys, but tools
This! [rockon][rockon][rockon]

I clean my guns because I like to clean my guns and I like clean guns.
I also don't consider it a trip to the range unless I have fired at least 400 rounds.
I'll clean a gun after two trips to the range or if I know I am not going to shoot it for a month or so. In any case I'll give them a quick wipe down with ballistol because rust never sleeps.

"Cleaning" .....back when I was a kid my dad waited to camping season to bring any guns needing a Smith to a small place out near Orange Ma. I remember this well and the sign on his desk.
"I fix more clean guns than dirty guns"

I collect vintage tools of all kinds and if you find something that is in nearly perfect condition you have to actually be a little weary. There's a lot of reasons why something wouldn't get used: maybe it wasn't useful, an odd size, maybe it didn't work well, maybe it was a lemon.
Roy Underhill (The PBS woodworker) joked about how they made a reproduction axe based on a pristine example they found in a well of a colonial settlement. The ergonomics of the axe were terrible and it would leave you with blisters and hurt your wrist. He said "there was probably a reason someone threw it down the well in the first place" [laugh]

That being said I have heard stories from army armorers that swore that he had seen far more problems/wear from guns that had been over cleaned than those that were filthy.

A lot of times I buy something, shoot it, clean it, and put it away.

Had that happen with a couple boomsticks.

I have become very utilitarian because of that. All my arms have a theoretical purpose. Weather it’s for carry, home defense, high power matches, clays or uspsa division. I find if it has a purpose I’ll use it. If it doesn’t it spends most it’s time in the safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had that happen with a couple boomsticks.

I have become very utilitarian because of that. All my arms have a theoretical purpose. Weather it’s for carry, home defense, high power matches, clays or uspsa division. I find if it has a purpose I’ll use it. If it doesn’t it spends most it’s time in the safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All of my guns have theoretical purposes. Sometimes too theoretical...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No time to shoot anymore :-(

Still like to look at them once in a while, and maybe put some oil on the stocks.

I shoot the crap out of mine. If I could get to the range and shoot 100 rounds everyday I would.
I love it.
I usually shoot at least 2-3 mags a week with my carry piece, to keep proficient with it.
shooting my shield is a bit different than shooting my M&P PC 9L with a 5" ported barrel, which is what I'm shooting all the time now
so I make a point to go back to my shield and shoot it whenever possible.
I keep them clean and lubed, but they are definitely not NIB LOL!

Until you want to sell it, then it gets cleaned up real good and becomes a "low mileage" safe queen...

Back
Top Bottom