Do NESers actually shoot their guns?

CrackPot

NES Member
Almost every post in the classified is for NIB or like new, less than 300 (200, 150, 100) rounds down the pipe, etc. It makes one start to wonder if anyone actually SHOOTS their damn guns?

50 rounds shot and put in the safe for 19 years
Immaculate condition under 200 rounds

I don't own any guns with that few rounds fired

Impulse buys, guns people bought and decided after one range session they hated, and people lowballing round counts.

The only gun I have listed is one I got last year because it seemed like something I would like. After a couple hundred rounds, and getting a DE 1911C, I decided I didn't like it enough to keep it. Plus I need the $$ more for other things. Like trying to get my bank account to recover after all the medical bills from my hospital stay last November (and the cardiac rehab sessions).

hell, i got a bunch of impulse buys in the safe, still have 3 unfired in the box. got a sig p220 .45 i bought new at four seasons in '95. it has 150 rds in it. had to have it. a full size m&p .22...same thing, bought it unfired, i did 50 rds thru it and put it away, maybe 6 years now. the freakin' list just goes on. if i sell you a gun i bought new and fired, a little notebook comes with it with date, place and round count. bet there's a bunch of us out there that keep on keepin' on with those impulses.

Speaking for myself, I rarely shoot my guns. I don't really enjoy shooting believe it or not.

I mean, yeah it's fun, but I guarantee I enjoy it less than 90% of the guys on here. The reason I shoot is to remain proficient so I can defend myself and my family.

Also ammo is expensive, I have very little time because of work and kids, etc.

I probably shoot once a year at work and 2-3 times at the range I belong to.

Some guns just don't get shot. Or are shot very little. I bought a small estate in 2004 one of the the sellers favorite rifle was his hunting rifle.
A weatherby in .270 he had a log book.
In 40 years he only put 118 rounds through it or about 3 rounds per year.
He would confirm cold bore zero before hunting season and a zero check when getting to the hunting area. Then his shot at the deer. He went 36/40 with that rifle...not to bad.
I have rifles I tend not to shoot. Like my S&W PC 1911.. I love the pistol I just don't get out enough/often enough to shoot it. I also shoot more rifle than pistol

Some guns I shoot the shit out of, some rarely. Depends on how much time I have at the range, and depending on how much ammo for that caliber I have. Lately, my range time is limited to staying proficient with my carry guns.

Inhave a collection of 1911s but really I shoot the hell out of 1. My ARs I shoot, I have an FMP G3 that I shoot very rarely. Conversely, I have a 92F I bought in 1984 and it has been rebarreled twice.

Thats just me.

Last edited:
Almost every post in the classified is for NIB or like new, less than 300 (200, 150, 100) rounds down the pipe, etc. It makes one start to wonder if anyone actually SHOOTS their damn guns?

50 rounds shot and put in the safe for 19 years
Immaculate condition under 200 rounds

I don't own any guns with that few rounds fired

Most people shoot even less than that. I wouldn't be surprised if half or more of guns bought for self defense never see a full box of ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i very rarely shoot in the summer. If I am not doing a beach thing or fishing and someone wants to go I will shoot in the summer. But we are getting into the time of year where i really enjoy being outside at the range. So the fall is my favorite shooting time. Nice winter day I don't mind either and the spring before Memorial Day. Once Memorial Day hits I usually stop with the shooting stuff. I shoot all my guns. The only rifle I do not shoot very often is my Winchester 30-30. That was a gift from my parents. I want to keep it nice. So it only comes out once in a while.

I have a lot of guns. I've shot all my guns. I shoot a lot, often times I bring my carry and work pistols, and one "other". Definitely a few in my fleet that are "like-new" but not for lack of me shooting the hell out of others... That and, yeah, I've had a few impulse buys for sure. Mostly it feels like I have a few workhorse pistols, rifles and shotguns, and the rest are for a very specific purpose, or just because, or are downright expensive to shoot or annoying to clean, and as such don't get used very much.

Speaking for myself, I rarely shoot my guns. I don't really enjoy shooting believe it or not.

I mean, yeah it's fun, but I guarantee I enjoy it less than 90% of the guys on here. The reason I shoot is to remain proficient so I can defend myself and my family.

Also ammo is expensive, I have very little time because of work and kids, etc.

Same here, I love taking a class or shooting with other people, but don't really like going by myself to the range, and with two little kids, all free time is accounted for.

If I'm selling a gun it's because I bought it with the intention of selling it for a profit so I can eventually buy the gun I really want. I've financed most of my gun purchases by trading up. I love to find bargain guns locally and list them on gunbroker. I don't list a reserve price, but I make the starting price just over what I paid and hope for the best when the auction ends.
It's amazing to me what some folks will pay for a gun on some auction sites. I just sold an easy to find, not uncommon, used, S&W revolver for way more than the MSRP. Why the buyer didn't just get it brand new from a dealer rather than pay so much at auction is beyond me.
But if I buy a gun that I intend to keep, I will usually hang on to it for good. But if someone wants to pay $800 for a $300 gun, far be it for me to deny him!

I have 3 guns that have seen LOTS of rounds. My AR, my G19 and my silver pigeon. I would never sell any of them.

Everything else is a toy... I'll admit I'm guilty of impulse buys. I buy, sell and swap around to find new fun guns.

I shoot everthing I own....some guns more than others. IMO, I think it`s weird to buy a gun and never shoot it. I understand the collector mentality but a lot of the fun, for me, of owning firearms is shooting and experiencing them for what they are, including milsurps.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

If I'm going to sell one, which I've very rarely done in the first place, it's because it's not being shot. The ones I do shoot, I'm not going to sell. The ones I do sell, it's to buy something I will shoot (and hence not sell).

If you have 40 to 50 guns, it's impossible to shoot all of them a lot, so you concentrate on just a few that are used for certain shooting activities and self defense. I have 1/2 a dozen or so guns I have never shot including a gen4 G19, a gen3 G21, a Russian Vepr AK, an AR15, a Kel-tec sub 2000, and a couple of others. Some revolvers bought new, I haven't shot in years after putting less than a 100 rounds thru them. Bought a P229 some years ago, never carried it, and have less than 300 rounds thru it.

Was it former senator Phil Gramm that said I have more guns than I need, but not as many as I want.

Last edited:
The best are the ads of brand new guns with three holsters. Listings that seems believable when it states LNIB or low round counts are the the ones that shoot expensive ammo/bolt action: 338 Lapua, 50 Cal BMG, 6.5 Creedmoor, etc. I'll even buy that a Scar 17 has a lower round count than a Scar 16 given the ammo cost differential. Everything else is suspect.

I own far too many firearms to put 1000s of rounds thru them all. I have my favorites. Those of which I wouldn't sell anyways. I think I have 5 guns that I still haven't taken out yet.

Back
Top Bottom