• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do I need to clean new gun?

Hello,

I bought my first firearm a couple weeks ago --- m&p 9 fullsize.
Do you folks recommend I clean it or are they designed to be used out of the box?

Thanks!

Yes, you should clean it then lube it. New guns come with a preservative coating which should be cleaned off then a good lube applied to contact surfaces. Some people don't clean new guns and don't run into any problems. I clean all new guns thoroughly even if they look clean from factory.

Last edited:
Bought a new Sig last year, took it straight to the range. Mistake. Major FTE/FTF issues.

Clean throroughly before use and apply new oil.

At the very least I like to run a bore snake and cleaner thru it. I assume with a new gun that the last round fired was a squib load and the barrel is obstructed. Call me paranoid.

These, its a good idea.

Yes, you should clean it then lube it. New guns come with a preservative coating which should be cleaned off then a good lube applied to contact surfaces. Some people don't clean new guns and don't run into any problems. I clean all new guns thoroughly even if they look clean from factory.

Field stripping and cleaning a new gun is a great way to get to know it. Plus all the reasons mentioned above.

I have too much excitement to clean a gun before I shoot it. 95% of the time the gun goes from the store directly to the range. I'm sure this isn't the correct order of operations, but I've never had a problem. This is my opinion for new firearms, I definitely recommend a GOOD cleaning and inspection before messing with a used gun.

Absolutely clean your gun before you shoot it. Well of course it's up to you but sometimes you can find some plastic leftover from the cutouts etc. Especially if you plan to carry the gun, clean it first!

I love Hoppe's.

It's personal preference I think, but I clean my guns when new, before I shoot it.

I also come right home and clean it before it goes back in the safe. I like clean guns. It makes me feel better. [laugh]

Some people complain about the smell of Hoppe's I personally love their products. (solvents, oils, brushes, etc) For my stainless revolver, I use a Birchwood Casey Lead removal cloth. WOrks like magic at removing the burn rings.

sm_lead_remover_polishing_cloth.jpg

The hoppe's lubricant seems to "run" when the gun gets hot for me. I've been trying to use it sparingly. What should I do with the hoppe's solvent for the barrel of my pistol? I have a bore brush, but I've been shooting steel cased tula and I think I might see spots of fouling even though I run it through a few times with the bore brush as well as several patches. Can I soak or something?

shouldn't need to soak, just do a wet patch and run dry ones until they come out as clean as you'd like the barrel to be.

i use standard CLP or mobil 1 for lubricant, nothing fancy. well, ok, i guess mobil 1 is fancy--but i just have it left over from oil changes on the car so it's not like i bought it for the guns, i just pamper them while the pamperin' is good.

I would say, from experience, yes, Clean it and lube it first!

You never know what you will find when you open it up the first time (like shavings of metal someplace that you really don't want them to be!)

What do you think of this vid? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAUNGkhrSGw
He uses ballistol in can and spray. Seems thorough but what do I know... thoughts?

I've heard nasty things about Ballistol on guns with fine work or nickel plating, it does indicate it is for removing soft metals (like copper, gold, etc.) which can wreak havoc on etchings or scratches. One of the better ones was Hoppe's Lubricating Oil. Especially if the gun will be stored for a long time. I can't find the video right now, but look up the1911channel on YouTube and he does a great video comparing oils, waxes, etc. Worth a watch.

shouldn't need to soak, just do a wet patch and run dry ones until they come out as clean as you'd like the barrel to be.

i use standard CLP or mobil 1 for lubricant, nothing fancy. well, ok, i guess mobil 1 is fancy--but i just have it left over from oil changes on the car so it's not like i bought it for the guns, i just pamper them while the pamperin' is good.

Weird. I have what I think is a dark spot, I generally take the bore brush with a little solvent on it and run it through a couple of times, let it sit for a few minutes while I clean other pieces of the gun, then run a couple of wet patches, then a few dry patches... But the spot is still there.

I love Hoppe's.

It's personal preference I think, but I clean my guns when new, before I shoot it.

I also come right home and clean it before it goes back in the safe. I like clean guns. It makes me feel better. [laugh]

Some people complain about the smell of Hoppe's I personally love their products. (solvents, oils, brushes, etc) For my stainless revolver, I use a Birchwood Casey Lead removal cloth. WOrks like magic at removing the burn rings.

I have something that works even better:

75-9917.jpg

I polished my entire S&W Model #60 and it shines like chrome.

You should definitely take your new hand gun apart, prior to shooting. Run a bore snake with CLP through the barrel and also make sure the slide is clean. Put a light layer of grease on the locking jugs and guide rod. I use grease on the rails during the warmer weather and Mobil 1 synthetic on the rails in the colder months. I also take the magazines apart and make certain they are in working order. Once you've done it a few times, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to clean your new weapon. Good luck, and congrats on the purchase !

^^^^ This.

I hae never seen a new pistol come out of the box with what *I* would consider to be enough lube on the slide rails.

Plus, until you check it, who knows what's in the barrel?

I was always taught to clean a new gun before using it. For the same reasons already mentioned, especially getting it lubed good and becoming familiar with it.

Back
Top Bottom