• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Discrete coyote removal help

If it's a public safety issue call the EPO's they send an officer out to put the animal down.

Or,

You can call a PAC agent and get an estimate for having a coyote certified company put the animal down and remove the remains.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/wildlife/pac/pac_agent_index.htm

Also "(b) the coyote season opens on the first Saturday after Columbus Day and closes on the following March 8th."

from: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_fox.htm

Grab a hunting license, or open your property for hunting and go for it.

I had coyotes howling outside last night at 2:30 AM. There must have been three or four of them. Probably mom and her pups looking for a meal. They must have stumbled upon the chicken pen, where my girls are very secure against that sort of issue.

But the hour of the day is important to note. Most coyotes are busy at night. And, night time shots are more noticed (especially in an urban setting) than day time shots.

I had a raccoon issue a few years ago, and went out (in the middle of the night) with a .22LR gun, and killed it with two shots. Not even a peep from my neighbors. But then again, this is the woods. And, all the neighbors know that I would only be out there if something required it.

Yipping and howling coyotes are no big deal. It's only when they eat your cat that they become a nuisance.

It can't be worth doing anything to jeopardize your ability to be a licensed gun owner. How is it becoming a nuisance?
I know if someone were to kill any of the wildlife in my backyard for no reason - Conservation Land- I would be angry. Coyote and deer are starting to make a 'comeback' there.

I live on a pond and I'm abutting conservation land on one side of my house, and across the street, so I tend to see lots of wildlife. You name it. Personally I would do everything I could to avoid killing it.

If you have to kill it -- make it a sport at least, and stalk it first. Then take it out with a bow, or a K-Bar. [frown]

coyote.jpg

coyote2.jpg

That'll work

"discharge of a firearm, or hunting on the land of another within 500 feet of any dwelling or building in use, except as authorized by the owner or occupant thereof."

So I would carefully measure out how many feet it really is to the neighbors house--over 500', shoot away (assuming no local ordinances prohibit it!). If you are within 500' and you know the neighbors are not antis, I would discretely bring up the topic of seeing a coyote on the edge of your property. If they, like you, would like to see it "dissapear", then ask their permission to shoot within 500' of their house. You might want to only shoot one one side of your house, depending on which side the good neighbors are.

Traps? Coyote? Not real likely! They are wicked smart. At the least, you are going to have to boil them to get the sent of humans off of the traps.

All in all, the air rifle seems to be the best/most legal approach. Bow only makes sense if you are a very good bowman. One thing to consider, if you flang an arrow, and it goes flying over into the neighbor's yard...and you can not find it to retrieve it...they are gong to squawk when THEY find it.

Last edited:
Also, consider that there is a season for coyote in mass, Jan1 to Mar 7. In 2010 it is greatly expaned, but that is next year. So you would need a legal reason to shoot at it, like it is trying to attack rover, etc.

"discharge of a firearm, or hunting on the land of another within 500 feet of any dwelling or building in use, except as authorized by the owner or occupant thereof."

So I would carefully measure out how many feet it really is to the neighbors house

Might want to use a rangefinder for this - that way, if it IS over 500 feet, they're not sitting there wondering WHY you needed to know the distance. Discretion, always discretion.

Also, consider that there is a season for coyote in mass, Jan1 to Mar 7. In 2010 it is greatly expaned, but that is next year. So you would need a legal reason to shoot at it, like it is trying to attack rover, etc.

Coyote opens October 17, 2009 and runs through March 7, 2010. The abstracts unfortunately don't make that clear in the 2009 format.

don't you have to be 500 ft away from roads and highways too? or am i thinking Arizona gun laws and got them mixed up?

Hi Guys

Well the coyote seems to have gone somewhere else.

I live in the woods and enjoy the wildlife so I normally just enjoy seeing the animals. This coyote was different though. It was out in the daytime and was acting very unafraid of me or my wife.

Thanks for all of the adivice. I still think I am going to talk with the neighbors to get permission in case it comes back as there are many young kids in the area.

Jay

Here in MA, it is 150' from a road, and 500' from an occupied dwelling (unless you have permission from the owner).

Just a quick clarification for those not sure of the wordings that may read the post.

"Dwelling in use" is the term used, this does not mean it is okay if folks aren't at home. It does mean if someone lives there, you need to be more than 500' away w/out permission.

I know M1911 knows the difference, just wanted to repeat to remove any doubt.[grin]

Coyote: What?..... Huh?.... What are you guys laughing at? Is there something on my face?

That works well. I've used a .177 pellet gun that shoots clean through rabbits. It'll definately penetrate a skull. If it doesn't die right away it'll die sooner than later from bleeding in it's brain and problem solved.

I vote for the gamo hunter air rifle. 1600 fps. Somewhere on youtube there is this guy hunting (and killing) wild boar with it. If it can kill a boar, the coyote shouldn't present much of an issue.

I have a Gamo Whisper (only 1200 fps) that I bought on sale at Bass Pro Shops to dispatch this deranged bird who kept flying into my house and vehicles (think it must have been seeing its reflection). One shot out of the top window of my house (used the window sill as a rest), and it was flapping down the driveway where it eventually came to rest (permanently) in the street.

Those little pellets 0.177 caliber make more of an exit hole than it seems they should.

Try opening a window half way and shooting from about 5 or 10 feet in the house. You can also turn on the tv or a shop vac to help cover the sound.

One shot from a 22 or high power air rifle wont even be noticed.

Just some fun facts:
Coyotes are not afraid of anything.
I have personally been about a foot and a half from 3 of them that were sun bathing last year.
They will sit and allow you to mow the lawn right around them.
That is normal for a coyote. Strange cause most animals run at the first sight of a human, but they know they can take on anything and win, so why do it.

Kinda the mindset of a person that carries for protection, the person knows they have a cell phone, mace, a knife or 2, and a gun with a spare mag or 2, so why run away from something that is not a threat.

A human is just not a threat to a coyote, thats why they don't appear afraid of a human. Same as the average pan handler is not a threat you just pass em by on the street corner.

The coyote is not a strict nocturnal creature. They like to sun bathe and move around out in the day light if they feel like it. Coyotes thrive where there is a good water source, food source of trash, road kill, small woodland creatures, and the occasional cat. Basically anything equal size and smaller is a definite welcome meal, 1 or 2 or more hunting can take down a calf to a full grown cow. In order for a coyote to attack, it needs to be really hungry, as they are lazy and prefer an easy meal of road kill or something small and slow moving. Like a fat coon, or something wounded and unable to defend itself. The last thing it wants to do is waste energy fighting for dinner. The lazziness is another reason they don't move much even when approached by a human. Cemeteries, seldom used parks make a great place for a den, very little foot traffic to scare off its prey.

Coyotes are a self regulating species, the more killed in a den the more and faster the den will reproduce to make up for the loss.
The longer they live in a den, the less they will reproduce. So the more you bag the more they make for next year. The average den size is 6 to 8.

Just some things I have learned about em.....

Last edited:
Get permission in writing and make copies so you can leave one on the dashboard if need be and one on person.

Just some fun facts:
Coyotes are not afraid of anything.

Another couple of fun facts for you:

Cell phones produce radiation harmful to coyotes.

It is also probably harmful to the human brain, as some people start thinking that in case they are attacked by a wild animal a cell phone can save them.

A cell phone is great for recording the story and the screams. [grin] Provided there is cell service at the location.

Properly placed lead will stop the attack guaranteed.

I'd just peg it with 22lr. It's getting cold enough at night where people are closing the windows, so I say if you do it after the sun goes down it shouldn't bother the neighbors too much. Really, a 22 isn't that loud.

Subsonic .22 tend to get jammed in autoloaders. I have a .22 pump that I load the Subsonics in and it's quieter. So I'd also recommend subsonic rounds in the longest barrel you can find. Hell you may only need one shot so even if you have an autoloader no biggie.

Subsonic .22 tend to get jammed in autoloaders. I have a .22 pump that I load the Subsonics in and it's quieter. So I'd also recommend subsonic rounds in the longest barrel you can find. Hell you may only need one shot so even if you have an autoloader no biggie.

Bolt actions work well, too.

Back
Top Bottom