Dillion reloading

Steve600

NES Member
Back in 1999 my first purchase on eBay was a used Dillion Square Deal. Since then it has has 3 total rebuilds, the forth one I am doing this week. I have never seen a company that stands behind a product like they do. All I do is call and tell the guy what I want and the package of all the parts is in the mail….the cost is always zero. Even the guys who man the phones are nice and they actually know what they are talking about, they will answer any question I have. I wish more companies were like Dillion.

8111E9CD-974F-4A88-9DBB-EA473DB05316.jpeg

Dillon does great in many things, but it also is in clear violation of the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.

Things with electronics used to be warranteed for life; now it is one year.

If you file a claim on tumbler bought back duing the "lifetime" days it is replaced free of charge, your lifetime warranty is cancelled, and you are issued a new one year warranty with the new one.

This is not unlike a car manufacturer saying "12K miles on the care, sure we replace the tranny under our 60K power warranty but the new tranny is only guaranteed for 10K miles". Dillon just "declares the warranty to be modified in its favor".

If you mess around with your reloading press, is it Dillion a Dillon?

I loved my 550. I wasn't as fond of the 650XL. Never liked the SDB. I was 80% as fast on the 550 as teh 650 and I had a good rhythm of the stations. Plus you could back it up if necessary. It just seemed easier to fix any mistakes. If you were running 100% on, the 650 was nicer. But there's a hiccup about once every 200-300rds or so. Especially if you're stopping every 100 to fill primers and powder and bullerts.

That SDB was too small inside the arbor. I don't have big hands, but it was just too tiny.

If I ever got back INTO reloading, I'd look at a Dillon and only a Dillon. I owned a progressive Hornady for a few weeks. It goes backwards which makes all of the critical stations behind the arbor as a righty. You can't see what is going on. Did not like that.

As reasonable as eggs, heating oil and gasoline.
True enough. Thank goodness I purchased flats of them whenever the local IPSC shooters put in an order.

I have three Dillon presses, a Dillon tumbler and one of their automated primer tube fillers on my bench. The last item is only because it was picked up used from a family member. I'm too cheap to pay full retail for one. :p

I got my first SD-B shortly after purchasing my first house in 1998 so I've been loading on their presses for a while.

Whenever anyone asks about getting a reloading press I always say the same thing. Get any one you want, as long as it comes from AZ and is blue! [thumbsup]

I’m seeing a ton of them out there used. 650, 750,SDB.

Facebook marketplace and craigslist. There are even a couple here in the classifieds. Since they have the warranty even for these as well, why buy new?

I’m seeing a ton of them out there used. 650, 750,SDB.

Facebook marketplace and craigslist. There are even a couple herein the classifieds Since they have the warranty even for these as well, why buy new?
they usually hold their value so not always a huge savings.
Though sometimes people add a ton of frivolous accessories and play the “it would cost you $10000000 from Dillon if you got all of this but I’ll sell it for $999999 though all you need is the $500 press but I got sold on all this shit and want to make my money back”. 😂😂

Though sometimes people add a ton of frivolous accessories and play the “it would cost you $10000000 from Dillon if you got all of this but I’ll sell it for $999999 though all you need is the $500 press but I got sold on all this shit and want to make my money back”. 😂😂

RARE. Only loaded 50 rounds. LNIB. My loss is your gain. Save millions loading your own ammo. Only accept Venmo and Zelle.

I’m not up to date on their pricing but i do see numbers all over the place. Not sure if any are a good deal.

RARE. Only loaded 50 rounds. LNIB. My loss is your gain. Save millions loading your own ammo. Only accept Venmo and Zelle.

I’m not up to date on their pricing but i do see numbers all over the place. Not sure if any are a good deal.
Nailed it lol.

There are some gems from time to time though. The good thing is even if they’re beat they’re worth the money because the Company stands behind the machines.

hmm, i look at my press, and it has only the brass feeder thing as extra.
dies did cost a ton.
the caliber conversion kits were a scam, really, but i knew nothing when i ordered them. other than that, it is kinda basic, and 750 is a very capable model, i think it is the most an average hobbyist may ever need.

What !!!!!?????

Crazy talk.....if u are only gonna buy one press...it's this one.
750 is a better buy for one only press than a 550, but there is nothing you cannot do on a 550 that the 750 can.
just with a bit less convenience. and convenience matters.

750 is a better buy for one only press than a 550, but there is nothing you cannot do on a 550 that the 750 can.
I’m still in the 550 is a better press for the reloader’s Reloader.
A 750 is great but a much larger investment monetarily and time wise when you like to play with a dozen different cartridges.

550 is cheaper to swap over and faster.

750 has it hands down when you’re talking speed and sticking to a single cartridge.

Three rebuilds? Whats the round count between rebuilds? I just keep mine clean and grease the fittings time to time.
Same. Except I got a Hornady progressive. Been using it since 2013 or so. Gotta be 80,000-100k rounds loaded I’d guesstimate. Never needed a rebuild. Just an occasional shell plate spring and some grease/lube.

80-100k is not a lot compared a few other reloaders on the forum but I’m just surprised to hear the OP has had 3 rebuilds

Disagree. The manual indexing hits a sweet spot between speed and control. Always found round per hour estimates overrated as a benefit of auto indexing.

For everything.

I have to touch the case to put a bullet on top so I rotate the shell plate while I’m doing that.
At the same time my right hand is putting another piece of brass in station 1.
As soon as I get those done my right hand is pulling the press handle while my left hand is grabbing another bullet from the bullet tray. Getting ready to place and rotate.

If you do it right it’s pretty efficient.

I worked with some auto index presses and didn’t like them. Again it has to do with me constantly messing with different cartridges and bullet designs.

I don’t want my press to auto index while I’m setting up the powder charge. Or seating depth. Or crimp. I want it to stay put till I’m done.

If I stuck with one bullet design and one powder I would probably be cool with it.

With the 550 I’m not worried if I want to load 1000 rounds of 9 then 50 round of 357 for a quick range trip. It’s literally a couple of minutes to change over so I don’t ever have the “I can’t load 357 until I finish this batch of 9mm” feeling.

Back
Top Bottom