Difference between CMP Garand Service Grade Special & CMP Special?

What is the practical difference between the CMP Service Grade Special & CMP Special rifle, other than $45?

Both have new production wood. The service grade special says, "collector grade metal in excellent almost new condition" but the Special says, "completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original receiver, new Criterion barrel [...]. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. Minor Pitting may be present."

Which would be better to have? Collector grade metal in almost new condition or refinished receiver and new barrel with the risk of pitting and a frankenstein collection of parts?

I guess it depends on what you're planning to do with it. Is it a shooter or display/safe queen? For a shooter, I think you'd want the new barrel but for collecting/display you'd probably want the more original one.

I guess it depends on what you're planning to do with it. Is it a shooter or display/safe queen? For a shooter, I think you'd want the new barrel but for collecting/display you'd probably want the more original one.

Great question. At this point, I can't imagine it would be worth trying to collect either of these from the CMP as everything has new wood. Given there isn't any huge collectable value, it would seem like a shooter would be the best option.

I got the cmp special with the new barrel. It looks awsome and shoots better. The stock was dry but a BLO rub down for a couple days took care of that. I wanted a shooter . I like it's history ,but wanted to use the gun.

Great question. At this point, I can't imagine it would be worth trying to collect either of these from the CMP as everything has new wood. Given there isn't any huge collectable value, it would seem like a shooter would be the best option.

I looked at the specials before I ordered my service grade and I wanted original wood with some character, not new wood. I wanted something vintage/original that's seen some action and planned to shoot it a lot so I just went with the regular service grade. Its a great shooter and with a WW2 birthdate, its undoubtedly seen some action. Barrel was from 1955 which seems pretty typical and it had virtually no wear so IMO just as good as a new one.

Service grades 'may' have new wood. Just request USGI; I did and got USGI on both my Garands.

T.

Yeah, that request was flat out ignored. As was the request for WWII era or closer to it. Two new wood, ~1958 dates.
But you appear to be telling me that not everyone is unlucky...

You can put all the stickie notes or request you want. When it comes time to pulling a rifle "which are all pre boxed and ready for shipping. The person pulling your order needs to know ther serial range. I will say though 3 out of 4 of my "request" have been granted by luck or by devine intervention ?

As for the OP's question

A service grade special IS by all definition a service grade rifle WITH some really nice metal finish or "collectors" finish. They do come with new wood.
as for the wood frm what I gather from the post over on cmp forums is many garands came back from greece and turkey with no stocks.
A CMP special is in a nut shell a reconditioned M1 with new barrel and wood.
Niether of them are "collectors" so to speak. Any Garands that cmp have or come across that have any collector vallue go to the cmp auction site and are sold to the highest bidder.
One note If you do buy a service grade special and shoot it alot you will demish its value down to normal service grade.
I dont see the cmp specials increaseing in value anytime soon if ever. So if you get a cmp special and shoot it nothing is going to happen.
Now are they worth it????? A service grade special might be as close to unissued as some will ever afford. The CMP special is not a bad deal if you want a refinished garand with a new barrel.
I will say if you plan on ordering a garand of any grade do it before the prices go up..... want idea of what the garands that are "collectable" go for look here http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/catalog.asp?catid=362&n=M1-Garand

below are links to CMP grade vs grade and sniper build accuracy test....take it for what its worth?

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...e-vs-grade-accuracy-test-now-with-sniper-test follow the links in the post

Last edited:
Yeah, that request was flat out ignored. As was the request for WWII era or closer to it. Two new wood, ~1958 dates.
But you appear to be telling me that not everyone is unlucky...

I think it might depend on how you make the request. They told me to wait till it hit the estore then request WW2 era or whatever. Did that and got exactly what I asked for.

Best value is the Service Grade.
Take the cash saved and buy HXP.
In my opinion...
~Matt
Yes....if you want to shoot often buy your 10 case limit of the loose stuff. When they release the sealed tins once the loose is gone it will be even more per round!

what's the deal with the sealed tins, why so sought after? Is it more accurate or just all from the same lot or what?

Sealed tins store well. As for accuracy no lot# or year of hxp has stood out in any of my rifles as being more accurate than any other. You do get the advantage of same lot/year which should be more consistant than the mixed ammo.
That's about it.
Remember accuracy requirements for m2 ball is about 4moa out of a testing device. That was good enough for government work. Your results may vary. If you shoot sub 2" groups with your M1 garand and HXP you best get to Camp Perry this year! HXP has been very good for me but there is always a "flyer" that goes a bit to far off. Ruins a good group.!

Remember accuracy requirements for m2 ball is about 4moa out of a testing device. That was good enough for government work. Your results may vary. If you shoot sub 2" groups with your M1 garand and HXP you best get to Camp Perry this year! HXP has been very good for me but there is always a "flyer" that goes a bit to far off. Ruins a good group.!

This for sure. Even from bench you get an odd one flying off into the never...

at what distance?
I believe its in this link here. http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=16690 My Device wont down load it to see? If not the information can be found on milsurp.com forum or cmp forum.
I. Believe the distance was 200 yards and they did a Median test of x amounts of shots, groups and came down with a average that needed to be Y. Over on one of the forums it was explained and what it translates to is "about 4 moa" on average.
Will or does hxp shoot better than this. Yes it can or will. My 1903a4 clone from a nice solid rest will shoot into 2".....well as long as that "flyer" don't show up!
To this day I have not found any information if there where accuracy testing for the M1 garand. I would assume with 4moa ammo that's the best the US. Could ask from the M1.

In the end don't matter much. Unless you are a very good shooter. Prone with a sling I'm happy to keep my shots in the black with hxp ammo and any of my garands! Heck with any rifle and ammo! So far my best score prone slinged up at 100 yards was a 184/200 usually struggle to stay in the 170s

Last edited:
Interesting info, thanks. Hey is that 03a4 clone one of the Gibbs rifles by chance?? I'd been kinda eyeing those recently.

Interesting info, thanks. Hey is that 03a4 clone one of the Gibbs rifles by chance?? I'd been kinda eyeing those recently.
The A4 clone is a rock ridge machine works, you can buy them through cmp or Creedmore sports. They went up in price. Its been a fine gun.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...pro-03-a3-and-a4s-discounted-creedmore-salles

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/191810-1903A4-rock-ridge-machine-works

50bmg on here also purchased one from another vendor http://www.jamesriverarmory.com/ . Internet is full of what or who is making what for who ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom