Did your prepping work for you during this long outage??

Does REI sell the Camping Gaz cylinders, do you know? I bought one of those burners for a bike trip 12 years ago, and still had one full canister (I just found out) - used it for a few minutes yesterday at the Steel Challenge to heat water for hot chocolate, so it does still work. Just want to have a few more cylinders for it.

Looks like it's "Primus" now - the REI websire does not show the fuel unit ( shipping would be an issue) but just call the store in Framingham, and ask. The mantles are listed.

Maybe a wood stove would be a good investment. Are there effective units that install into a fireplace and include a cooking surface? I don't have a lot of room for a stand-alone unit.

The wood stoves that have a cooking surface ( i.e. have removable lids, to fit your cast iron pan) are not a air-tight, high efficiency stove. A modern heating stove can be used to heat pans, etc.

Seriously, I'd get a propane and /or liquid fuel Coleman 2-burner camp stove for cooking. A woodstove most likely will require a building permit, and the fire dept will probably want to check stuff out.

Your best bet is to find a decent fireplace/stove shop and pick their brains.... En-R-G Saver in Holliston is a good place, but it looks like that will be a hike for you.

The wood stoves that have a cooking surface ( i.e. have removable lids, to fit your cast iron pan) are not a air-tight, high efficiency stove. A modern heating stove can be used to heat pans, etc.

Seriously, I'd get a propane and /or liquid fuel Coleman 2-burner camp stove for cooking. A woodstove most likely will require a building permit, and the fire dept will probably want to check stuff out.

Your best bet is to find a decent fireplace/stove shop and pick their brains.... En-R-G Saver in Holliston is a good place, but it looks like that will be a hike for you.
Sensible. The cooking part of it was mostly just a matter of convenience. My primary concern is having an emergency source of heat that is off-grid and does not require an investment to feed (I've got a pretty good headstart on good firewood after this past storm). Pellet would be nice, but I'd rather utilize the wood I have and will inevitably acquire more of.

A family member has suggested asking a chimney service about ways to increase fireplace efficiency. One suggestion was asking about installing a vent next to the fireplace to bring in outside air and improve circulation of heat. I think I'll be hitting up the phone book this week and looking for info...

The big problem with a fireplace is that it's about 10% efficient. Modern fireplaces are terrible. The epitomie of efficiency was the Rumford fireplace:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumford_fireplace

If you're trying to heat with a fireplace, you'll get warmer from hauling the wood than from the fire! The real problem is that you only get the radiant heat from the face of the fire, and the room air gets sucked up the chimney, along with the combustion gasses. Here's something to consider - the Minister's salary in my town pre-revolutionary days included 45 (forty-five) cords of wood/year.

If you want any degree of efficiency from tree chunks, get a box to put the fire in.

Indeed, there are efficient modern stoves with flat tops that can be used to cook, just no removable lids. I'd measure your fireplace and start searching around online for a stove that will fit. One possibility to look at is the Jotul 3, which is a small cast iron stove with a flat top, that can be connected via the back to maximize top surface area.

we used our All Nighter stove for heat, as we always do, and cooking. I loved waking up to the smell of bacon on sunday morning. as for fire dept inspection all they want to see is it is surrounded by fireproof material ours is on a hearth in the corner with the two walls covered in brick to the ceiling.
2nd vote for the Jotul good unit right there.
My brother has a Sunshine wood cook stove from PA. it kicks ass

this storm was a good for me to learn what i need to fix. we were A LOT more comfy this time around than the ice storm of '08. luckily i was on vacation, so i didnt have to worry about leaving the house. ran the wood stove so it was always warm. had the coleman stove to cook and plenty of lanterns for light.

biggest thing we lucked out with was we could put our food in coolers in the shed, and packed gallon bags with snow to keep them cold. all 5 days and the snow didnt melt.

my sump filled to the top, so i went to get a hand drill pump to run it, but power came on before i got to use it.

biggest benefit about this storm was IF we had any issues i could take my in laws genny since they still had power. im glad we didnt need it though

I was a little low on wood as I haven't gotten my supply for the winter in yet, and tapped into my emergency reserve which I thought was two weeks worth for heating and cooking, but was probably more like 6 days. Day 2 I hit up the hardware store which still had plenty of envirobricks and market basket had plenty of cleanflames, just in case it had gone on for a week or more. Though in a longer term scenerio where stores were dry, I could have just labored through it scavenging deadfall with the woods on my property, and conservation land in the area that makes up a majority of the town land area. I also have roughly a cord of partially seasoned wood cut and stacked, just not split, but I do have a manual hydrolic splitter.

Don't have my own generator (yet), so I borrowed the old mans for the convenience of the well and fridge since they live 20 minutes away and didnt lose power... melting snow in buckets for toilet flushing sucked. The deck cooler moved to the shade worked for a fridge, but was inconvenient, and its not yet cold enough for freezer items.

The intent of the Market Basket trip was mainly for people watching, and maybe picking up some pop tarts and other junkfood for the fun of it. We were getting low on milk, and made me wish I had pulled the trigger on some #10 cans of dehydrated. All the nearby grocery stores weren't selling refridgerated items as they were without power, and my wife was really having a hankerin for cereal. Going to sample some milk powders and stock up.

Hiltonizer,I am very picky on powdered milk we got samples of Thrive foods. Their milk was by far the best. For me I like milk fresh from the cow.

The deck cooler moved to the shade worked for a fridge, but was inconvenient, and its not yet cold enough for freezer items.

I picked up a couple old Coleman coolers this summer at yard sales. During Irene before I had my generator ready we used them to keep the food. Ice stayed frozen in them nearly the entire day. We'll use them as backup if there is an issue with the generator down the road. As an aside, I found that the local McDonald's sells ice so we hit it to replenish.

My family did really well during the storm. We are outside the 495/Rt 2 corridor and had amazing tree damage. Power was out until thursday. I installed a permanent generator about 7 weeks ago (seriously) fueled by 240 gallons of LP. So i had electric, well, and furnace taken care of. The house has a wood stove that we used for cooking on. I also have a big green egg grill that I could use to cook just about anything on so long as the lump charcoal lasted.

Lessons learned:

a generator is a must. LP was a good decision as I am able to store long term and in sufficient quantities that I ran nonstop for 5 days before I called for a refill.

Wood stove was great for easing the furnace load on the genny, and as our major cooking option. Getting home from work to fire it up meant we ate later, but we ate warm home-cooked meals. Got a cord of wood this fall, so that was fine.

Food was ok, but we didn't consider how we'd be preparing it. i.e. on a wood stove. We did have cast iron Dutch oven, griddle, and skillet that were able to go on stove or BGE grill. We'd make better decisions on the types of food to have stored. Pastas, soups, stews, breads, beans, etc are ideal.

I had no gas in my cans. Would have been helpful to supplement the cars if necessary, but more immediately, for the chainsaw. I had it sharpened, but little else. No bar oil.

Cells went down with the town's power. Landlines went down when cable did. Communication was poor and needs to be addressed. GMRS & FRS were quiet where I am. Didnt ocurr to me that i don't even own a radio.

Batteries, water carboys, lamps, candles, etc. were plenty. Ammo was sufficient[wink].

All said, I'm pleased with my preps, and for the opportunity to expose the shortcomings.

Hiltonizer,I am very picky on powdered milk we got samples of Thrive foods. Their milk was by far the best. For me I like milk fresh from the cow.

Thanks for the input. I'm trying the Augason farms morning-moo's first as it pretty much built that company and is available cheap by the pail at Sam's Club... I would have avoided Thrive just based on price and the fact that its non-fat but will try it on your recommendation if Morning Moo's doesn't work out.

Lesson learned:
I don't own a "real" radio....was suprised how that would have come in handy...other than that, not perfect but we were only out of power 2 days.

Lesson learned:
I don't own a "real" radio....was suprised how that would have come in handy...other than that, not perfect but we were only out of power 2 days.

oh yes, this too for me... I just always assumed in a true SHTF scenario, a few minutes with the vehicle radios would get me the basic information I need... and in a regular storm like this my iPhone would be adequate for checking the interwebs. With the power, ATT service in my area went down. Plus a regular radio would have made for just fine backround noise when the gennie wasn't running the TV.

My family did really well during the storm. We are outside the 495/Rt 2 corridor and had amazing tree damage. Power was out until thursday. I installed a permanent generator about 7 weeks ago (seriously) fueled by 240 gallons of LP. So i had electric, well, and furnace taken care of. The house has a wood stove that we used for cooking on. I also have a big green egg grill that I could use to cook just about anything on so long as the lump charcoal lasted.

Lessons learned:

a generator is a must. LP was a good decision as I am able to store long term and in sufficient quantities that I ran nonstop for 5 days before I called for a refill.

Thanks, great info. What size, brand generator?

this storm was a good for me to learn what i need to fix. we were A LOT more comfy this time around than the ice storm of '08. luckily i was on vacation, so i didnt have to worry about leaving the house. ran the wood stove so it was always warm. had the coleman stove to cook and plenty of lanterns for light.

biggest thing we lucked out with was we could put our food in coolers in the shed, and packed gallon bags with snow to keep them cold. all 5 days and the snow didnt melt.

my sump filled to the top, so i went to get a hand drill pump to run it, but power came on before i got to use it.

biggest benefit about this storm was IF we had any issues i could take my in laws genny since they still had power. im glad we didnt need it though

Chris, in these situations the genny is invaluable for people like us that need to keep the sump running. My sump is running every minute or so when it's wet and this storm was no different. I tested the rate of flow coming into the sump hole and after a 1.5 hours I had water creeping across the basement so I had to stay home to keep and eye on the generator and make sure it never went down. I for one can say I will never go without at least the most basic generator ever again especially after the 08 storm which is when I got mine. I bought a husky 5000 running watts for 630bucks.

Chris, in these situations the genny is invaluable for people like us that need to keep the sump running. My sump is running every minute or so when it's wet and this storm was no different. I tested the rate of flow coming into the sump hole and after a 1.5 hours I had water creeping across the basement so I had to stay home to keep and eye on the generator and make sure it never went down. I for one can say I will never go without at least the most basic generator ever again especially after the 08 storm which is when I got mine. I bought a husky 5000 running watts for 630bucks.

Sounds like our last home. The house was built into a hill and water sluiced in under the cellar door. During a rain storm the sump would run nearly non-stop. We put in a bulkhead (eventually) and the problem went away. We lived with it for years though and I don't know why it took me so long to figure it out.

Sounds like our last home. The house was built into a hill and water sluiced in under the cellar door. During a rain storm the sump would run nearly non-stop. We put in a bulkhead (eventually) and the problem went away. We lived with it for years though and I don't know why it took me so long to figure it out.

funny thing is we are at the top of a hill!! The problem is the geology. There is a layer of what is called tight till, it's basically a clay. When the water hits it, it stops draining and backs up, it's about 9 feet down. The first year we were there the sump pump couldn't keep up with it. then it died I came home to a foot of water in the basement.. after a few years of using regular sumps from home depot I had leader basement systems come in and install the drain system.
The other major issue is that the floor is lower than the foundations footing (rebuilt basement 15 yrs prior to me moving in) they f'd it up good. As long as I have power I have a dry basement now though.

I installed a Generac Guardian 14kw connected to a new panel with an integrated transfer switch and two 120 gallon LP tanks. The panel has 16 circuits, enough to run the well, furnace, fridge, freezer, and lights. Definitely an investment at about 7k+, but obviously it has already paid off.

I've got a open circuit that I have half-a-mind to put the spa tub on! [laugh]

Thanks, great info. What size, brand generator?

The big problem with a fireplace is that it's about 10% efficient. Modern fireplaces are terrible. The epitomie of efficiency was the Rumford fireplace:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumford_fireplace//
When I was in the 9th grade, I lived in a building built in the late 1700's. The fireplace would heat the room with one piece of wood. We put in three split pieces once and had to open the windows.

We live in Boston and try to be ready for a power outage even though theyve been extremely rare: total of two hours in 13 years, both in summer. We got a touch of snow. Gas stations near the highways get busy but the local stations, which charge 10 cents a gallon more were deserted.

A few random thoughts:

In the ice storm of 2008 I had to get gas on the way to CT, near the border. The Pilot truck stop I usually use had no power. Used the Garmin to call all the nearest gas stations, and found one a mile away that had power, gas, and coffee.

My V-Strom motorcycle has a 12V plug and a 5.8 gallon gas tank. Several guys in NJ used them as their 65hp cell phone chargers. Alternator output is relatively high for a bike (450w) but not enough to charge much more than that. But at idle 5 gallons would last 25 hours.

We use Stabil Marine Ethanol formula stabilizer and keep two five gallon cans for the snow thrower and generator.

I've asked my wife never to let her gas tank go below half full in Winter.

If you know a storm is coming a few days early, partially fill gallon milk jugs with water and freeze them. They'll keep the fridge cool a long time. Or make chunks of ice in your freezer. Freeze what you can, then put it back in the fridge when the power goes off.

Take small items that you use up like milk or cold cuts and put them in a small cooler so you don't have to open the fridge or freezer.

Multi-LED Headlamps are expensive but work much better than flashlights and will often run several days on two or three AAA cells.

Shelf life of modern batteries is measured in years. You can buy 48 AAA cells at Costco for $17, while consumer packs are a lot more expensive.

Pay for everything you buy for a week with $20s. Put that weeks worth of $1's, $5's and $10's in your safe: no one can make change without power.

The Coleman High Pressure Hose and Adapter will allow you to use your 25lb propane tank with a propane camp stove or lantern.

Bought a printed family medical guide. There's lots of medical info available online, but if you don't have power or internet, that won't do you much good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom