Did you see the Semi-auto BAR on TV last night?

The BAR is one of those things I always wanted and the SA OOW looks to be as close as you can get without going NFA. I would LOVE to have one. I spent the better part of an afternoon, (while fancy-pants machine guns popped all around me), shooting an original BAR at Knob Creek. I had fired it the year before, (just 2 mags) and asked the owner if I could bring my own ammo to the next shoot. I did, (1k). He graciously let me take it over - I think he was a s caught up in my love for that BAR as I was....I never grew tired of shooting it and was amazed at how accurate it is....

While I agree with MassMark about real BARs, the principle attribute of the BAR was its ability to provide usable full auto fire with the .30-06 round, in a man-carried weapon. This feat was achieved primarily by the weight of the weapon (and it was lack of this weight that made the full-auto function of the M14 so totally useless).

And so, if you make a BAR with all that weight and take away the full-auto capability, I guess I have to ask, "Why bother?"

While I agree with MassMark about real BARs, the principle attribute of the BAR was its ability to provide usable full auto fire with the .30-06 round, in a man-carried weapon. This feat was achieved primarily by the weight of the weapon (and it was lack of this weight that made the full-auto function of the M14 so totally useless).

And so, if you make a BAR with all that weight and take away the full-auto capability, I guess I have to ask, "Why bother?"

It's a gun.

Good enough?

I agree with your analysis about rapid fire with the high-power rifle round, although whatever floats ones boat is no business of mine - have at it!

The Thompson isn't a lightweight either.

True, and that raises the same issue. The difference, if you think about it, is that there is no alternative carbine for .45 ACP, while an M1A (or semi-only M14), will do all that a semi-only BAR will do in a far more portable (and thus useable) platform.

Don't get me wrong: the BAR filled a uniquely valuable slot in weapons company armament, and performed its intended role superbly. In a different regulatory world, I'd own a real BAR just for the hell of it. But gelding a BAR to semi-only seems to me to have all the attraction of stuffing a Ferrari chassis with a VW engine.

Back
Top Bottom