Dicks Store Policy Sucks

I love these threads.
If you don't like the store don't go. Don't bitch and moan about it. They sell guns. That makes them way better than most of the other chain/department stores. Think about that. They're one of the few that sell guns and ammo and we want to pick them apart. If it takes too long tough crap. If they make you walk to the register with a plastic box tough crap. If the kid selling you the gun doesn't know anything about guns TOUGH CRAP.
For those who proclaim 'buy local'. Last I checked the employees at Dick's all lived pretty close to the store. They have jobs and work. That helps the 'local' economy and probably helps them to buy things from the company you work for. They also might not be the brightest people in the world. Or maybe they are. They do what their employer tells them to do. Not what you tell them to do. That really sucks doesn't it.
If you think the sales at Dick's aren't helping you to get better deals from the local guns shop think again. The more dealers there are the better prices we'll get.
To the poster who was worried about filling out the form giving the number of children in his home. If you're that worried just answer 0. Honestly the pervs have much better ways of finding kids.

Nicely put.

The Lodge at Dicks Sporting Goods is a department in a sporting goods store - not a gun store. I wish it were, but it isn't. Dicks Sporting Goods also has hundreds of stores, with hundreds of employees selling guns. I wish they were all "gun people", but they aren't. If their corporate policies or shortcomings bother you, don't go there - plenty of people will fall in line and take your place. If writing a 'zero' on a trigger lock form, properly doing federal and state paperwork and waiting in line at the register is a big deal to you, then may I suggest not letting the door hit you in the ass, (they can't anyway, as they are sliders)...

For what it's worth, I should have a hotline to the local FFL's and archery shops - I send people to them nearly constantly...I'm no cheerleader for DSG either - trust me. I just happen to find it funny when people go into a big box store to buy a gun and then bitch about it on the internet...Maybe if enough people get their panties in a wad, Dicks will stop selling guns - the profit may not be worth the hassle. That would be just awesome... [thinking]

Nicely put.

The Lodge at Dicks Sporting Goods is a department in a sporting goods store - not a gun store. I wish it were, but it isn't. Dicks Sporting Goods also has hundreds of stores, with hundreds of employees selling guns. I wish they were all "gun people", but they aren't. If their corporate policies or shortcomings bother you, don't go there - plenty of people will fall in line and take your place. If writing a 'zero' on a trigger lock form, properly doing federal and state paperwork and waiting in line at the register is a big deal to you, then may I suggest not letting the door hit you in the ass, (they can't anyway, as they are sliders)...

For what it's worth, I should have a hotline to the local FFL's and archery shops - I send people to them nearly constantly...I'm no cheerleader for DSG either - trust me. I just happen to find it funny when people go into a big box store to buy a gun and then bitch about it on the internet...Maybe if enough people get their panties in a wad, Dicks will stop selling guns - the profit may not be worth the hassle. That would be just awesome... [thinking]

And to you "buy local" folks: If 'Joe's Gun and Tackle' had the thought process to expand his business, open up new locations, grow into a corporation, would you then stop buying from them? Stores like Wal Mart, Dicks, Home Depot, Cabelas, on and on, came about because someone had vision to see beyond themselves. I guess capitalism sucks? [thinking]

Guns are one of the only products where the little guy can compete. I'm not talking about the few models that a big bog store has in stock at competitive prices, but AR's, handguns, and the less common stuff.

I actually find it a bit puzzling. With most products, the purchasing power of the big stores allows them to get deals that are, in many cases, below what small vendors pay (white box ammo at WalMart comes to mind). But... when you do find he big store that carries the "cool stuff", prices are invariably higher than a decent independent. Bass Pro takes this to the extreme - cancelling their price matching policy for guns because they were so frequently being shown prices from places like Four Seasons and Collectors Coin Gallery.

Some real gems of wisdom in the last 11 posts or so. Then again, some people just like to whine (I'm guilty of it too at times).

Nicely put.

There really should be no excuse for not doing federal and state paperwork properly. I'll give you the rest of what you wrote, but if they are selling guns, the paperwork should be done properly, no excuses.

Guns pose an interesting challenge for a broad based chain store like Dicks -

- The people processing the sale are employees of a chain, driven by policy, without the oversight of a shop owner who knows every little procedure to the letter and has a personal stake in "no mistakes". Rigid procedures are required to assure each employee completes all the steps.

- Profit is modest, but each unit sold has downside risk of litigation. The store that sold the AR15 used in the sniper shootings declared victory because they settled for "only $500K" - on a gun that probably had a $100 to $200 profit.

- As a big store, they are more attractive to contingency fee counsel than the small independent.

- The fact that the store followed procedure does not indemnify them against a suit. Suppose someone picks up their gun on a default proceed, turns out to be an axe murderer looking to upgrade weapons platforms, and kills someone. It is not only conceivable, but almost predictable, that some scheister will be filing a suit claiming "but for the obvious and reasonable precaution of waiting for the clearance, this gun would not have been sold". And then, there is the obvious publicity about how XYZ "sold a gun without having a clear record check using a technicality". If you're the risk manager for a chain of several hundred stores, your mission is to preserve your career by mitigating risk - not strike a blow for the gun rights movement.

There really should be no excuse for not doing federal and state paperwork properly. I'll give you the rest of what you wrote, but if they are selling guns, the paperwork should be done properly, no excuses.

If even 10% of the people who tell me how "ABC Guns does paperwork this way", or "DEF Guns does paperwork that way", " or "I don't do all this at "GHI Guns" and "I was out of JKL Guns in 5-minutes" are correct - then some FFL's are asking for trouble... We have an entire book from the ATF which lays out a pretty clear picture as to how far the .gov will go if you screw up. Some FFL's are playing with fire...Dicks Sporting Goods follows procedure - including the overlays. The extra trigger lock form is the only corporate addition. From your 4473, to your MIRCS, it's done as it should be. Not necessarily as fast or efficient as some would like it, (I move as quickly as humanly possible), but DSG has 400 FFLS to worry about and they want to protect them...It translates into millions of dollars, hundreds of jobs and millions collectively into local economies...

If even 10% of the people who tell me how "ABC Guns does paperwork this way", or "DEF Guns does paperwork that way", " or "I don't do all this at "GHI Guns" and "I was out of JKL Guns in 5-minutes" are correct - then some FFL's are asking for trouble... We have an entire book from the ATF which lays out a pretty clear picture as to how far the .gov will go if you screw up. Some FFL's are playing with fire...Dicks Sporting Goods follows procedure - including the overlays. The extra trigger lock form is the only corporate addition. From your 4473, to your MIRCS, it's done as it should be. Not necessarily as fast or efficient as some would like it, (I move as quickly as humanly possible), but DSG has 400 FFLS to worry about and they want to protect them...It translates into millions of dollars, hundreds of jobs and millions collectively into local economies...

Understood, but I didn't mean the people who are telling you how to do it because of ABCDEF gunshop. I'm talking about Dick's employees who literally say "I've never filled one of these out before, let me read it before you start filling it out" and then there are the Dick's employees who want to fill in the paperwork for you with you reciting your name, address, and all that good stuff. Last I checked, I was supposed to be the one filling out the form and checking the boxes that I'm not a criminal, not have an employee read me the questions check off the boxes for me.

The customer service that I get at Olde English Outfitters FAR, FAR, outshines anything I've ever had at Dicks, Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Gander Mountain. EVAH....

On top of that, the prices at Olde English are always at least as good as what the big boxes are AND a damn sight lower in many cases. Every time I go to Gander Mountain I LOL at their gun prices. Only reason I am ever in their gun dept is to buy Reloder 15 since that is the only local place I have found it in.

My kids are more than capable of defending themselves. That's not the point ...and neither is lying on the form just so I can say I got the gun. The point is what we are becoming that allows this type of fascist nonsense.

May your chains rest lightly upon you.

They're your chains because you allow yourself to be needlessly worried. Me = Fill out the form, buy the gun and go home. You = Pick out a gun, go to the counter, freak out about the form, call corporate from the parking lot, talk to them about pervs even though your real concern is fascism and go home empty handed.

Local stores could counter low ammo prices by concentrating on getting their customers into reloading and stocking reloading supplies that people actually use.

Never in a million years. Most shooters are not that ambitious. Even with the high ammo prices, most people still don't want to reload. Contrary to popular belief, most gun shop customers are not like "us". Hell, even in NES membership, if you were able to count the number of reloaders vs the total number of members, we're still a minority on the board. Out of thousands of members here there are probably only a few dozen on NES that actually reload.

Most shooters are "johnny 4 box" types. They buy a little ammo here and there, and maybe only a half dozen times a year. These guys will never reload because they can't justify it. Many are intimidated by the process. Many have braying horses for wives that won't allow them to do it. Many don't have the time or space to do it. (It's a pain in the ass if you are stuck in a small apartment, for example, and have no space..... ) Then there's the issue of bulk rifle ammo like 5.56 and 7.62 x 39. Reloading rifle rounds is a bitch, comparatively speaking, even with the right gear for the job. IMO forcing a "customer shift" to reloading would be difficult. If anything most shops are going in the other direction. They want to make money. They know that Johnny 4 box will pay too much for ammo. I can't say that I blame them.

-Mike

Last edited:
Of course, that was a silly question. But nothing I've had to do carries the same consequences as being caught with an improperly registered firearm.

You mean, an unreported transfer. There is no crime in MA for having an "unregistered" firearm. Further, the way 128A/B is, the prevailing interpretation is that the Seller is responsible for the filing, not the buyer. So even if dicks botched it, it's not (supposed to) be your problem.

-Mike

We must properly register our firearms! Yes!

We must file reports on our children to purchase our firearms! Yes!

Simply pathetic for a firearms forum. I'm done with you moonbats.

You mean, an unreported transfer. There is no crime in MA for having an "unregistered" firearm. Further, the way 128A/B is, the prevailing interpretation is that the Seller is responsible for the filing, not the buyer. So even if dicks botched it, it's not (supposed to) be your problem.

-Mike

You can't deny that if you had an "unreported transfer" or however you want to call it, despite being the seller's problem(which I agree it is), that the buyer(you or I) wouldn't have extra headaches in the event a situation occurred.

You can't deny that if you had an "unreported transfer" or however you want to call it, despite being the seller's problem(which I agree it is), that the buyer(you or I) wouldn't have extra headaches in the event a situation occurred.

I see the headline now: "Local Man Caught With an Armory of AK47's Illegally Purchased From Dick's Sporting Goods"

If you are worried about this, then YOU should check your registrations with CHSB at least every few months and then submit FA-10s for "registration" for anything that doesn't come up . . . or that you owned prior to 1986 (dealer purchases) or 1998 (FTF purchases) so that they have a complete record of everything you own. [thinking] [rolleyes]

[tinfoil]

Is Cabelas' a big box store?

Bass Pro?

Gander Mountain?

They are a National Chain store...I have never purchased or will purchase a firearm from any place like Dicks,Bass Pro,Gander Mountain,Cabelas.My personal preferance...have I had issues with small business gun shops?....yes..There is so many options out there other than the chain stores for better deals and items.

Now....for fishing items thats another story.

Last edited:
They are a National Chain store...I have never purchased or will purchase a firearm from any place like Dicks,Bass,Pro Gander, Mountain Cabelas.My personal preferance...have I had issues with small business gun shops....yes..There is so many options out there othere than the chain stores for better deals and items.

Now....for fishing items thats another story.

Is Mountain Cabelas different from regular Cabelas? Bigger maybe?

I like shoping at dicks but they are frequenty out of what I want. Just this last weekend I got the sale flyer listing brekenke slugs on sale; so I took a ride over. Same day I got the add they were completely sold out and would not issue a rain check. (they did have plenty of full price ammo for sale)

I like shoping at dicks but they are frequenty out of what I want. Just this last weekend I got the sale flyer listing brekenke slugs on sale; so I took a ride over. Same day I got the add they were completely sold out and would not issue a rain check. (they did have plenty of full price ammo for sale)

i think i saw 12gauge and 20gauge shotgun shells at wall-mart, 100 for $21
they were for multiple use, birds and clay.

is that possible or did hey screw up the price? I've never seen them so cheap. and they have like 15 or 20boxes. It was winchester and Remington ammo.

im just asking, because i never bought ammo from wallmart before.

Yup, that's right. Last year they went up to around $25, but came back down after the panic.

how come every where else its almost $1/shell

im a rifle person, dont shoot shotguns a lot, but i do have a nice shotgun i want to start shooting again.

Is this ammo crap?

Wal-Mart might have good prices but I refuse to spend my money at any of there stores. I just don't like there policys

how come every where else its almost $1/shell

im a rifle person, dont shoot shotguns a lot, but i do have a nice shotgun i want to start shooting again.

Is this ammo crap?

The $20 hundo-packs are the WWB of shotshells. They almost always go bang, and perform decently enough. Anything made for hunting, or high-level competition is going to be more expensive, though.

Back
Top Bottom