• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Diagnosis request for Glock 17 malfunction

For the record, this was bought as a range toy and, again, because the price was too good to let go. I also hoped I'd find a Glock I really like (didn't work). I'm actually considering selling it (which cause isn't helped by this thread), but I want to make sure it's reasonably reliable first.

I saw that you got it for a steal. Good on ya man. I'm a G kool-aide drinker, so I'm not crapping on anything you've said. I was just saying in general that I've seen so many problems with Glock triggers when you start messing with all the internals. I keep my internals simple. OC Trigger and NDZ 3.5 connector. Minimal take up, and nice firm wall. Super reliable. When you dryfire it, are you holding trigger to rear when you rack slide? Or is your finger off trigger?

I saw that you got it for a steal. Good on ya man. I'm a G kool-aide drinker, so I'm not crapping on anything you've said. I was just saying in general that I've seen so many problems with Glock triggers when you start messing with all the internals. I keep my internals simple. OC Trigger and NDZ 3.5 connector. Minimal take up, and nice firm wall. Super reliable. When you dryfire it, are you holding trigger to rear when you rack slide? Or is your finger off trigger?

Thanks.

If I dry fire and hold the trigger, rack the slide, then let the trigger out (like I'm trying to find the reset), it does reset properly. Based on that, it really seems like the striker spring is the problem. It looks like the striker spring from my 34 should work so I'll compare that and put it in if so. It appears a whole Gen 4 upper on a Gen 3 frame is bad.

No failures when I rack the slide manually and dry fire.

I haven't tried pulling the trigger forward manually, but that's something I'll try next time I'm at the range. What does that tell you if it does reset?

If it's smooth when you pull it forward (no clicks or anything) and it works (you can fire another shot) the trigger spring is too strong, or the striker spring is too weak.

If it doesn't work (which is the only other possibility I can imagine) the sear isn't catching on the striker. That could be because the sear or hook on the striker is too short so they miss each other; or the disconnector isn't working (see "machinegun", above)

Any luck?

Yes the striker spring from the g34 is the same.

As is the whole striker assy if you want a quick test without having to remove the spring from the assy’s

Any luck?

Yes the striker spring from the g34 is the same.

As is the whole striker assy if you want a quick test without having to remove the spring from the assy’s

Haven't been back to the range, but thanks for the info here. That's going to be my next test.

Back
Top Bottom