• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Democratic US Senators' bill to ban distribution of CAD files, "other code" used for 3D printing firearms

Correct. There are CNC machines which can output 95% of the parts needed for a functional firearm, just need to add springs and assemble.

While consumer additive manufacturing cannot create a robust barrel, back in 2017 various folk started to recognize that generic filament printers could create a mandrel which can etch rifling into commonly available steel tubing.

GFEN ran a match featuring all "home produced" firearms about a week ago

Wait... Rob Pincus went from supporting expanding background checks, to supporting home-built firearms?

Ed is a scumbag. He is Anti American anti freedom, and libertiy. Spineless oath breaker. [puke]
He is indeed, but I’m pretty sure he just says what he thinks will get him re-elected. I don’t think he actually believes in anything besides getting his pay check and pay offs. He is all libtard talking points and has never had an original idea

This is nothing but virtue signaling, utterly ineffective.

Back before the Internet, we used to meet at the food court and anonymously trade floppies. Heck, during the original injunctions Defense Distributed sold preloaded USB sticks as well as printed books with the "Liberator" machine code:
Great plot, but not a lot of character development.

I got those files from grabcad a few years ago.
There's been a ton of development just in the last year alone, fine-tuned .STL models, printable on common consumer 3d printers without the need for exotic filaments or even modifications to the stock printer.

You can literally walk out of a big box store with a "consumer grade" printer and have a viable AR lower that same weekend, including printing most of the LPK (exceptions being a few screws, springs, and pins). Because of the limitations on parts access to Euro developers, there's even movement on printing uppers and other parts which USian folk take for granted as being unregulated. For example, along with the previously mentioned work on barrel production, the group Free Men Don't Ask have made great progress in tools to fabricate Glock & AR springs from piano wire.

Speaking of non-American developers, this bill doesn't explain how their little end-run around our First Amendment is going to do anything about non-citizens hosting the files offshore?

Last edited:
This is nothing but virtue signaling, utterly ineffective.

Back before the Internet, we used to meet at the food court and anonymously trade floppies. Heck, during the original injunctions Defense Distributed sold preloaded USB sticks as well as printed books with the "Liberator" machine code:
Great plot, but not a lot of character development.

There's been a ton of development just in the last year alone, fine-tuned .STL models, printable on common consumer 3d printers without the need for exotic filaments or even modifications to the stock printer.

You can literally walk out of a big box store with a "consumer grade" printer and have a viable AR lower that same weekend, including printing most of the LPK (exceptions being a few screws, springs, and pins). Because of the limitations on parts access to Euro developers, there's even movement on printing uppers and other parts which USian folk take for granted as being unregulated.

Speaking of non-American developers, this bill doesn't explain how their little end-run around our First Amendment is going to do anything about non-citizens hosting the files offshore?
until we get budget level 3d printers for an actual metal compound - all that is mostly toys.
like that, perhaps - but, i have no clue of the cost. it really needs to be something under $3k or so to be realistic.

until we get budget level 3d printers for an actual metal compound - all that is mostly toys.
like that, perhaps - but, i have no clue of the cost. it really needs to be something under $3k or so to be realistic.
Then cast the parts
https://m.all3dp.com/2/lost-pla-casting-guide/

Turn an old lawnmower into an AR

LOL.

100% of the time any free-ish government tries to restrict the flow of knowledge or information, it backfires and creates even more of that knowledge and information.

By all means, Senators. Go for it!

This exactly. My expectation is that all the news swirling around possible bans, will produce a very affordable printer, with the CAD files pre-loaded with one-touch routine programmed in. Personally, I can't wait to buy these cheap printers. It will probably coincide with Amazon drones delivering to my house. I can't wait to order one of these gun factory printer and have it delivered to my house by drone within 4 hours! What a time to be alive.

This exactly. My expectation is that all the news swirling around possible bans, will produce a very affordable printer, with the CAD files pre-loaded with one-touch routine programmed in. Personally, I can't wait to buy these cheap printers. It will probably coincide with Amazon drones delivering to my house. I can't wait to order one of these gun factory printer and have it delivered to my house by drone within 4 hours! What a time to be alive.

Then you can happily crank out receivers all day for the two or three months it'll take Congress to debate and pass the bill, plus the six-month grace period before it takes effect. You'll make hundreds of the things, and you're only one person.

Multiply by all the interested people in the country, and the only real-world effect of all this noise over a BAN will be millions of new, untraceable receivers and a bunch of people still tooled up to make more, "illegally," which will be completely identical to their "preban" ones and, thus, unprosecutable. Again, Senators, go for it!

This exactly. My expectation is that all the news swirling around possible bans, will produce a very affordable printer, with the CAD files pre-loaded with one-touch routine programmed in. Personally, I can't wait to buy these cheap printers.
If you're willing to wait for your printer to be drop-shipped from China and assemble it yourself, "very affordable" printers already exist.

I've already burned through more $$$ in filament than I spent for the printer. It's entirely my own fault for getting into the exotic filaments (Nylon, PCTG, etc), not because those are needed for guncad (they aren't) but rather for applications like car mods and such where resistance to UV and prolonged heating are more of a concern. Also useful when you're planning to use your printer to print newer, bigger 3d printers.

the only real-world effect of all this noise over a BAN will be millions of new, untraceable receivers and a bunch of people still tooled up to make more, "illegally," which will be completely identical to their "preban" ones and, thus, unprosecutable. Again, Senators, go for it!
Illegally? This bill doesn't even ban the act of printing the registered part of a firearm, just bans using the Internet to share the design files..

So are factory-produced firearms with polymer frames also "mostly toys"? Don't tell Maura, but today you can print the registered part of a Glock and end up with a reliable firearm, how is that a "toy"?

Even with a "metal printer" you're still going to need traditionally produced steel to fabricate springs & barrels. Don't let perfect make you blind to the perfectly acceptable.

Last edited:
If you're willing to wait for the printer to be drop-shipped from China and assemble it yourself, "very affordable" printers already exist.

Wait for shipping? Micro Center will sell you the same thing for the same price as China, shipper, and will have it at the counter before you arrive.

Don't let perfect make you blind to the perfectly acceptable.

Exactly this. 3D printed firearms are the Warsaw Ghetto option. One only needs two or three rounds to "upgrade", and now your force has two weapons where they started with a single.

Illegally? This bill doesn't even ban the act of printing the registered part of a firearm, just bans using the Internet to share the design files..

That's why I put it in quotes. I'm sure there are states that'd charge you anyway and let the courts sort it out.

"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

Robert A. Heinlein

Ed Markey can go pound sand, can't stop the signal!
ylhbEHva_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom