Definition of 'home' in MA

For those of us that have/are getting restricted LTC's, how does the definition of Home work in MA.

Is that your residence listed on your drivers liscense? Can it be a hotel room if you are travelling? Friends house if you are there for the night?

I've heard in some states a hotel room counts.

Thanks,
Matt

If you are referring to "self defense in the home", you'd better read the MGL. I don't have it handy nor do I recall if it includes hotel rooms, etc.

Len is quite correct: before requesting or relying on a legal definition of a term, specify where the term is used. The same term in different statutes could mean quite different things.

Next, be sure you use the exact same term. Laymen might equate "home" and "residence," but a statutory use of the term "residence," absent some special definition in the statute that uses the term, means "domicile." One's domicile starts with the domicile of his parents, unless and until changed. One changes one's domicile by moving to a different abode the the present intention of remaining there for the indefinite future. A hotel room could possibly be the domicile of one who lives in the hotel the way others's might live in an apartment building, but it is not the domicile of someone who checks in on the three-night reservation. Ditto a friend's house. Likewise, you could fly to Ethiopia and live there for ten years, but if your intent all along was someday to return to Massachusetts, your domicile didn't change.

For most people, their domicile is what appears on their driver's license or the voter registration lists (or the true list). This is not because any of these is within the definition of domicile, but because the law requires that you provide your domicile to the registrars of motor vehicles and elections.

Back
Top Bottom