• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Define "Chambered Lower Than 38" for Night Coyote Hunting

I'm curious, has anyone EVER successfully hunted / killed a coyote at night w a .38?

I posed the question since I'll be out at night hanging bait. I don't have the intention of hunting right then. Just to have in case Wiley wants to visit. I know that a 357 mag is lower diameter but larger than 38 special and I know the reg is not based on 38 special but it seems to be the interpretation that jonny law goes by for some reason. I have a 357. 357 sig is the smallest I have and I'm not buying something just for this. Night hunting I would probably use BB shot 12ga but this is just walking in, hanging bait, and bailing. Just trying to make due with what I have.

It's real simple , its CHAMBER size not Caliber size. Therfore a 357 magnum chamber is larger than a 38 chamber , so the 357 is a no go . Thompson Contender unless its Chamber is smaller than 38 its a no go . 30/30, 35 rem all have large Chambers but smaller Caliber Bullets they are a no go . Chambered smaller than .22lr caliber means just that , no 22 magnum, no 17hmr ,no 221 fireball but 17mach 2 is ok because its a necked down .22lr . The 17 hmr is a necked down .22 magnum . Its dumb the restrictions that they impose but its not hard to understand if you pay attention to Chamber sizes.

It's real simple , its CHAMBER size not Caliber size.

This, the MGL

"A person shall not use or possess, where birds or mammals may be found, any rifle chambered to take larger than twenty-two long rifle ammunition, or any revolver or pistol chambered to take larger than thirty-eight caliber ammunition between the hours of one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise of any day throughout the year.

"Special" is not mentioned. What .38 caliber ammunition? .38 Short Colt? .38 Casull? .38 Long Colt?

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, I am pretty sure DFW opinion was that a Contender in 30/30 was ok.

The thing is it doesn't say "chamber size" it says "chambered in". Chamber size is one thing, but chambered in usually is actually referring to the caliber of the bore, for example, a rifle "chambered in" 50 BMG has a bore diameter of nominally half an inch, and a much larger diameter chamber.

The whole lot of hunting regs, and the associated MGLs, could do with a refresh. I expect that to happen soon after I get the tax stamp for my suppressor.

It's real simple , its CHAMBER size not Caliber size. Therfore a 357 magnum chamber is larger than a 38 chamber , so the 357 is a no go . Thompson Contender unless its Chamber is smaller than 38 its a no go . 30/30, 35 rem all have large Chambers but smaller Caliber Bullets they are a no go . Chambered smaller than .22lr caliber means just that , no 22 magnum, no 17hmr ,no 221 fireball but 17mach 2 is ok because its a necked down .22lr . The 17 hmr is a necked down .22 magnum . Its dumb the restrictions that they impose but its not hard to understand if you pay attention to Chamber sizes.

38 Special48.gif
221Fireball.png
The .221 is in a pistol (1960s vintage Remington XP100). As you can see if you look at the dimensions, the Fireball (edit: would probably) fit in a 38 special chamber. Aside from being a single shot, it would do well on coyotes. It has a 10 Burris IER scope on it and can shoot:
attachment.php

100 yards five shots 0.75" (during the daytime though [shocked]).

Um...no that's not what the law says - see the post after yours.

the only metric is "Caliber" - which is not related to chamber length.

And, if it were "simple" as you state, we would not be 40+ posts of discussion, advice and opinion.

Mass hunting regs often make no sense - a revolver needs to be used for bear - not a .50 Desert Eagle, or a Contender in .483 Wristbreaker, because they're not revolvers.....

The regs mention 38 caliber meaning a projectile of .38" or less. It does not at any point mention the 38 special round. Even if alluded to and intentioned to mean 38 special at no point is it ever mentioned.

I take that to mean my question is answered as 357 sig is ok. But I'm not the one that carries the badge and handcuffs in the woods.

Part of the problem is that when the law/reg was written, there were fewer choices, and the "well, duh....." factor was easier to deal with.

I remember my dad telling a story about him having to hunt up some heavy-bullet (IIRC 220 grain ) .38 Special loads for a friend of his, for use in raccoon hunting. Because he didn't have a lot of other options (other that up to a .45 ACP). My dad to told me this story 30+years ago, and it was an "old" story back then, so I'd say is was late 40's / early 50's.

This is not to excuse a poorly-written law; it's just a theory as to its origin. Remember, that until a couple years back, in-line BP guns were a no-no; not all that long ago, rifled shotgun barrels and mechanical releases for archery were verboten for deer. There are a LOT of deer, so making the population smaller is a big deal. Were we to be inundated with washing-bears I'm sure the regs would be tweaked....but now there's not a lot of pressure to make it better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom