• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

defense distributed's "october surprise"

Or for less you can find a Bridgeport. I've had two friends and a lgs each get a bridge port for around 500$ simply because how hard they are to move . Most people don't realize of you take the head/turret / table off it much easier to move.

My dad picked up a medium sized mill (stands on a small base) uses same colletes as a bridge port for around 1500$ shipped .
We just used a engine lift to move it .

How much does it cost to CNC such machines?

How much does it cost to CNC such machines?

To convert to Cnc ? Depends on the machine. Do you want it for just x and y or do you want z too.

47af686931007c4ffc633bf2694a3578.jpg

That's the one I have . It's pretty good. If you wait for coupons you can get it for 1500$.
Add another 1k to convert it . If my dad waited we could of just gotten a Bridgeport for less.

One thing about converting a mill is you'll probably need to learn some codeine .
I can program Cnc mills at the machine in g code. You could get 3d modeling software, then get a program like master cam that will write the video for you . If the software wont let you you'll have to go in and stops for the tool changes. Ever time you go from
One tool from the next you have to stop . Swap in the tool and re zero the the z axis.

You take the chance of having your zero(bottom of the tool) a hair off. It would suck after a few tool changes you last op would be slightly off .. To deep you start over from scratch to shallow you change your zero and rerun that op.

If your not doing high volumes your money would be better spent just on tooling and other shop suppliers . Unless you have to do curves . It's do able on a manual machine but you would have to learn how to mount your part on a rotary table and have the part in the right spot . Think a I ring gasket on a square panel . You want the corners to be radius for the I ring grove. You'd cut the straight sections first then . Mount the part on a rotary table with the radius dead nuts on the pivot point.

For doing basic one off parts tho Cnc is over kill unless you have some weird angles curves that would require a lot of different setups etc . For doing a ar lower it's not needed since its basic x y z movements .

I bought two ak 80% . I didn't drill all the holes on one receiver in one shot.
I set a stop up , found my zero drilled the first hole, put the next receiver in drilled the same hole. Went to the next hole drilled it and swaped the other receiver. Doing production work on a manual mill this is how I do it. It's faster then doing one part from start to finish .

They're making the point that gun control is stupid, ineffective, and ridiculously easy to bypass.

No they're not. They're drawing attention to the fact there are ways to exploit the permitted manufacture of home made firearms for personal use that violate the intent of the law. This is not helpful.

Last edited:
The dudes who know how to use their shit, make their own shit, etc., don't go posting it online.

This would be my takeaway. Also, should you be inclined to make your own firearms, which I'm not, don't create a paper trail by buying high visibility, low capability, desktop CNC machines.

Last edited:
No they're not. They're drawing attention to the fact there are ways to exploit the permitted manufacture of home made firearms for personal use that violate the intent of the law. This is not helpful.

What? How does making a firearm at home via this method "violate the intent of the law"?

I think it's worth mentioning that manufacturers were only required to put serial numbers on firearms starting with the 1968 GCA. There are still plenty of people alive who were around before that. But the antis talk about this shit like Moses came down from Mt. Sinai with serialized tablets.

What? How does making a firearm at home via this method "violate the intent of the law"?

You have to think yourself into their shoes to see how this will be perceived by the Bloombergers. They're already calling it a machine to "print" "steel" firearms.

From their point of view it violates the intent of the law by transforming a complex series of manufacturing operations that require real skill with machine tools into what looks like a pushbutton operation.

Last edited:
I am not the enemy. You have to think yourself into their shoes to see how this will be perceived by the Bloombergers. They're already calling it a machine to "print" "steel" firearms.

From their point of view it violates the intent of the law by transforming a complex series of manufacturing operations that require real skill with machine tools into a simple pushbutton operation.

It doesn't have anything to do with the intent of the law, the antis, in generic terms, don't even know what the existing laws are, how they're enforced, etc. They are completely and utterly clueless.

On paper this machine doesn't violate any law, nor the intent of any law. That's wholly irrelevant to the situation. The problem here is memetics and media appeal. This type of thing can cause a bunch of shallow thinking shitheads to go "bweah, de'er autto be a lawr against dat! etc, etc, ad nauseam." Not all that long ago, gun building was a relatively unknown thing. Now this crap is causing attention to get drawn to it, and the mechanism that allows it to remain legal. That's definitely "not good" for the folks who want to make their own stuff, legally, off the radar.

-Mike

I just saw this video and almost duped.

This should be in the general section.

As Shotgun Joe said:

"This is a big Fing deal."

When Feinstein sees this she is going to shit a billet.

I have no idea what will result but this is BIG.

I think for the betterment of the NES community, this should be brought to the General Section.

I just saw this video and almost duped.

This should be in the general section.

As Shotgun Joe said:

"This is a big Fing deal."

When Feinstein sees this she is going to shit a billet.

I have no idea what will result but this is BIG.

I think for the betterment of the NES community, this should be brought to the General Section.

I'm sure we'll have a nice thread in GD when whatever ****ery congress comes up to "patch the 80% loophole" is berthed. The dangerous thing is I can see the NRA horse trading us down the river on this for some bullshit like national reciprocity. [rolleyes]

-Mike

The story already has been posted on the Brady site as something that is going to kill all the children. All other PAG groups take their direction and talking points from BCPGV and LCPGV, so plan on this being escalated.

Back
Top Bottom