defaced serial number arrest in Framingham

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/x737690461/Two-men-arrested-in-Framingham-on-gun-charges

FRAMINGHAM —

Two Framingham men were arrested just after midnight Saturday when detectives found two guns in a car parked on the Southside, police said.

Christopher Cardona, 20, and Elijah P. Jacobs, 20, were arrested at 12:01 a.m. on Lindsay Street, Deputy Police Chief Craig Davis said.

Framingham detectives were helping Ashland Police investigate a shooting outside Fusion Cuisine on Pond Street in Ashland late Friday night.

Police saw a group of men on Lindsay Street, not far from the town line, standing near the car, and questioned them, Davis said.

Officers ran the license plate on the car, and it came back registered to Jacobs.

Detectives looked in the car, and saw two handguns in the front seat, a .380 Browning and a Hi-Point 9mm, Davis said.

"One of the weapons had a defaced serial number," Davis said. "One of the weapons, I'm not sure which one, was stolen out of South Carolina in May 2009."

Cardona, of 159A Grant St., and Jacobs, of 49 Summer St., were charged with possession of a firearm without a permit, possession of ammunition without a permit, defacing a firearm and receiving stolen property.

Cardona was ordered held without bail at his Framingham District Court arraignment yesterday. He was on probation for a marijuana arrest from last year, and now the probation department is seeking to have a judge find him in violation of that probation.

Jacobs was ordered held on $12,500 bail.

Both are due back in court on Aug. 25 for a pretrial conference.

(Norman Miller can be reached at 508-626-3823 or [email protected].)

Okay...dumb question time. If the stolen gun was the one with a defaced serial number - is there a way to make it readable? Or could there have been a hidden serial number?

Okay...dumb question time. If the stolen gun was the one with a defaced serial number - is there a way to make it readable? Or could there have been a hidden serial number?

Indeed...how do you figure out the gun was stolen if you cannot read the SN? Unless it was only partially defaced.

It most likely was not ground out. Nobody ever said punk assed kids were smart and I hope they have a nice long stay at Motel Concord. Some Fed time wouldn't hurt either.

"One of the weapons had a defaced serial number," Davis said. "One of the weapons, I'm not sure which one, was stolen out of South Carolina in May 2009."

It seems to me they know the numbers of both handguns.

Lynne, yes they have ways to "raise" the number. And yes again, many handguns have a hidden second S/N. e.g. MA requires it per 1998 law and many companies have instituted this feature.

Even if the serial numbers are ground out, it's often possible to restore them using the techniques described in the link above. Because the serial numbers are stamped into the metal, the metal is stressed below the surface in ways that allow one to determine what numbers were stamped. While they tend not to publicize it, they've been recovering serial numbers that way for at least 50 years.

Ken

Even if the serial numbers are ground out, it's often possible to restore them using the techniques described in the link above. Because the serial numbers are stamped into the metal, the metal is stressed below the surface in ways that allow one to determine what numbers were stamped. While they tend not to publicize it, they've been recovering serial numbers that way for at least 50 years.

Ken

I've read that using a hammer and drift punch to peen the numbers will render them unrecoverable by obscuring them with new stress marks while distorting the previous ones.

"One of the weapons, I'm not sure which one, was stolen out of South Carolina in May 2009."

Wait wait wait... Criminals steal guns? I've been lead to believe that they get them only through gun show loopholes and straw purchases...

I've read that using a hammer and drift punch to peen the numbers will render them unrecoverable by obscuring them with new stress marks while distorting the previous ones.

I've also heard that the serial numbers tend to "fall off" firearms purchased at gun shows, making them impossible to trace, which is why the shows must be shut down. The gov't sends FFLs special tape to keep those serial numbers on.

Back
Top Bottom