Deer Hunting. Going about it the right way?

I'm just starting out hunting this year.
I'm looking to get some opinions on what I'm doing to see where I can improve.

Bow:
I got some advice and practice with help from an NES member.
I feel pretty comfortable with it, sighted in and hitting accurately up to 40 yards. I'm within 5-6" at 40.

Scouting:
I found an area near running water where there are a lot of scrapes. Near some trees, 5-6 scrapes. In the area there have to be more then 30+.
There are no rubs in the immediate area but are some nearby which I am assuming are some bucks on the way to water?

Getting in and Setting Up:
I have gone out twice so far and would really appreciate any sort of feedback. I'd rather not wake up at the crack of ass and do things wrong.
Outer clothing has been washed in scent free detergent and kept in a plastic bin with an acorn wafer inside of it.
I am up and showered (concentrating on my hair) with scent-a-way and out the door by 5:15.
After getting out of my truck I spray myself with scent-a-way and then put on my camo jumpsuit...I spray that as well.
I walk the woods with a red flashlight.
Arrive in my scouted area and up in my treestand by 6:00-6:15 at probably around 15 feet high.
I notice that the sun starts to come up just as I am getting up the tree.
I have tried setting up a few trees away from the scrapes. Today I was directly above 2 of them.
After in my stand, I used my rangefinder to get an idea of distance to possible shots.

The hunt:
From 6:00-10:30 I sat and waited while freezing most of the time.
I used a Primos Long Can Call (Estrus Bleat)...but am not totally sure I'm using it right.
I used it 3-5 times with maybe 1-2 seconds in between. I experimented with waiting 15 minutes before doing it again, and then 30 min, 1 hour.
I also used a True Talker a few times. A few short grunts (3-4) and then waited.

I didn't end up seeing any deer but rather a turkey (I looked up to see whether it was Turkey season on my phone. It was at 15 yards. Would have been an easy shot but unfortunately they aren't in season)

Am I doing things right? About how often do you guys actually see deer when you go out hunting?

Here are the scrapes below the stand:
qnu5c7.jpg

Here is the distance to running water
5vboyb.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good !!! It's a pain and I would not bother now. I personally don't like to set up DIRECTLY over sign. Some guys may say otherwise. Also, not sure of your shooting, "Lanes" but if you can safely do so, I would trim all those small branches seen in the pics.. When your at full draw looking thru a peep you WILL NOT see them. Those tiny little branches are enough to send an arrow off course..........

Last edited:
Get in the woods earlier. The shot is usually a short one as there are not many open 40yd shots in the woods that are unobstructed. You will only see deer that are there and it may be a spot where they cruise through in the middle of the night on the way to a bedding area.

You will not figure it all out in the first season. Try following the trails to see where they go. be ready to shoot from first light on. If you think you're moving too slow, slow down.

Good luck.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

Turkeys will scratch up the ground and make what can appear to be a scrape. Above the scrape look for "hooked" low limbs from antlers. You should have a near by rub line. Are you also trying a urine scent to attract deer? Good luck!

Last edited:
I get in earlier than your time. I sit for about an hour before it gets light. Short bleats with the can, longer bleats are a distress call. You should have your distances already ranged out. I don't bring my range finder, cause ive already ranged my area.

I agree with what mac said. You look to be very exposed in your stand and being right over sign you will be picked out very easily by an alert deer. Moving 20 yards off sign is a better setup. be Also you should not shooting at deer at 40 yards if you are shooting 5-6" groups. That is off plenty to only wound a deer or miss completely. A little more practice is needed. In the Northeast most deer will be closer anyways.
Patience is very important. If deer were seen on every trip hunting season would end early. I find the best time to see deer is mornings. I see plenty in the evenings as well, but it seems to me mornings are more productive.

I too am loaded with questions, if the sun is coming up around 7Am i was thinking about being in the tree around 6 .. should i try for earlier 546 .. till bout 12 noon ? its a good walk to my stand .. bout 10 mins via horse trail, was going to do it in the dark i reckon, but i feel like it will be unavoidable to not rustle up the deer bedding down round there, or are these just the common frets of a new hunter who hasnt slept a wink since he has started this journey 8 months ago ?

i mean tell me this isnt neurotic ... im concerned about getting spotted just raising my shot gun to eye range when the time comes ! . I bought a shooter stick to just assist and ensure a steady hand/shot if and when the time comes. I feel like guys who get them make it look so easylike the deer jumped infront of their slug or arrow

Thanks for the advice.

I'll set up farther away from the scrapes. I did see a turkey so maybe they are making those marks but I also did see some droppings about 40 yards south of where I was.

I need to get in about 45 min earlier. Maybe an hour. (Into the woods by 4:45)

Not planning on making a 40 yard shot if I can help it. Still practicing every day. At 20 yards I can pretty much get the fletchings touching each other.

Buy yourself some stump shooters. Take one shot an hour at stumps to keep limber. The cold will stiffen you up quick. Use a drag with doe urine on the way in and out. Hunt to the stand and back out every time. The deer will follow the drag-be ready.

Those don't look like any deer scrapes I've seen. If you think they are scrapes, get your nose down there and
you will find out in short order if they are real scrapes. You are probably hunting where they ain't. A real
problem detrimental to short term success.

Back
Top Bottom