Deer gun for 12yo

I've got my 12yo son signed up for hunter safety and I want to take him out in the fall. He's not a big kid, maybe 90lbs. I'm not sure he can handle a lot of recoil, or a really heavy gun, so I'm looking for suggestions for something that will definitely have the power to take a deer while having the lowest possible recoil and also doesn't weigh a ton. I know, it's probably a tall order. I'll consider shotgun for MA or rifle for NH. Just looking for suggestions so I can get something and get him to the range a bunch over the summer.

maybe a marlin 55 glenfield in 20 guage i got lent one for a while and it was pretty nice i only shot it with birdshot but it had little recoil and the trigger was way way better than i ever expected 3rd mag capacity kinda sucks but is reliable

theres just something about a bolt action shotgun that is really really fun i dont know why same thing with single shots

My son shot his first deer with a 20 gauge slug. Recoil isn't too terrible on a youngster.
If you go for a rifle, I would suggest a .243.
If you know anyone with these, I would ask them if they would let you and your son use them.
Go green, come to a shoot and try some guns out. NES members are the most generous people I know.

Also chiming in to recommend a 20 gauge. A pump would probably be fine but a semi would take a bit of the edge off of it if he isn't perfectly happy with the pump. Unless he's already got arms your length be sure to let him try some youth stocked guns. The shorter length of pull makes a huge difference for shorter shooters. Mossberg and I believe remington make youth pump 20s that come with stock inserts...you can make the gun grow with him for the next several years.

Before you take him to the woods, take him to the range to try some stuff on for size.

I'd say that the 20 ga is the best bet, but Sportycliff's observation is correct - my then-9-yo was a good shooter ( Trap) but when he took his first 2 shots at Daffy, he said, "How come I didn't hear it go off?

The issue of "too much gun" won't arise in the woods, but if he's going to be expectred to make a clean, ethical kill, he has to become accustomed to the gun, and has to practice with it. If it kicks the crap out of him, it will be tough to get good.

And, it may be heresy, but if you're going to be hunting both MA and NH....have him use the shotgun for both. One set of controls, handling characteristics, and sights. It's unlikely that in the woods around here you'll be getting a shot that's "outside" of slug range, anyways.

Good luck

I'm seeing a lot of 20GA. But I'd find an old SXS 12 gauge and cut it down to start. There are many more loads for the 12 than the 20 and he's going to need practice before you take him out in the woods.

What ever you get for him, it has to fit him. Recoil will be less uncomfortable with a long arm that fits him.

I would also go with the 20 gauge for a shotgun.

If you want a rifle, maybe a lever action 30-30.

Bruce,

If cost is not a factor, Then I would go with an encore. It is single shot which is good for a beginner shooter/hunter.
You can change the barrel to (.243 or .270) use as a rifle in NH, NY, ME deer hunting (or MA coyote).
Put on a 20ga shotgun barrel for MA regular season or a muzzleloader barrel for MA muzzleloader season. They even have turkey set-ups for it.
He will never outgrow this gun. New barrels make great gifts. [smile]
Plus, these tend to hold their value, so you will spend more now, but if he doesn't enjoy hunting you can sell and get your money back. [wink]

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/proHunter.php

Last edited:
I would also suggest a 20ga... and lots of range practice.

mossberg's bantam shotguns are great... I have 3 of them for myself (shorter l.o.p.)

I vote 30-30 for a rifle. if you get a model 94 winchester look for an angle eject model so he does not get hit in the face with brass.

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like 20 gauge is the clear favorite here, and maybe .243 or 30-30 for a rifle. Hmm, I've been looking for an excuse to get a Marlin 336 in 30-30for a while, I guess I have one now. It's for the boy, really it is. For the shotgun I may have him shoot my 12ga with some light target loads for starters and go from there. If it seems OK move up to a slug, if not pick up a 20ga.

Remington offers the 870 pump in both 12 and 20 gauge packages with two barrels - a longer Remchoke barrel for small game and clays, and a slug barrel for deer. Use your judgement as to whether he's ready for a semi-auto or even a double barrel. Sometimes a newby will forget that each shot reloads the chamber. If he has to rack the slide, he knows he loaded it. Have fun.

If you can find a charles dailey field in 20ga jump on it. Perfect gun to start with. Its light, small, and very little recoil.

if you go with a remington 1100 or 870 I have some stocks that have been previously cut, they can be available if needed. no mounting hardware.
also there is only about 1lb diff between the 12 and 20 guage 870.
reminder also that if he needs a good amount of stock to be shorter you are restricted with the 1100/1187 do to the action spring/tube in the stock.

My vote is for the browning BPS for a pump gun..........the youth model actual has a better youth size stock. length of pull, grip to trigger ect ect.

For a Auto I would go with the beretta 3901 reduced length, this is the best out of the box auto loader for a youth in MHO

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/71931-1.html My friend purchased one of these for his son and can hit a ace of spades and nock the spade out @ 100 yards with a scope regulary.

Just remember 20g vs 12g recoil is a moot point.............1 1/4oz slug out of either guage has the same recoil energy.
The lighter 20guage will transfer more of that energy to you than the 12g.

Check uot fourseasons in wobourn, they just sent me their email specials and they have 870 on special but is not a rifled slug barrel,,,,,i dont think.

A used 870 12g is ideal as it can be easily transformed into many configurations by a quick barrel change and or stock change.

Last edited:
Mac, funny that you post that link for the Savage 220, I just looked at one yesterday at Blue Northern. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about them. Right now I'm leaning in that direction.

Back
Top Bottom