• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Daunte Wright Shooting: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know - Edit: Shot by cop who thought she was using a TASER

Her Taser is in a cross draw position. The grip of the Taser is opposite the grip of the handgun. If it was on the gun side the grip would be the same. When she puts the belt on it should place the taser opposite her gun. On a side note horrible duty holster. The Safariland 295 were banned from use by LA PD cause they offered poor retention. Her holsters retention snap is cracked and broken.
df9cb85addc4b42b4ee614ed16ef9217.jpg

Put that belt on and that is NOT a cross draw, that's a left hand draw. Or am I missing something? Her CSB is in a weird spot as well. I've never seen a CSB in front of the firearm. Behind the firearm is 'usual', but I always suggested having it cross draw as well to prevent the same thing from happening.

df9cb85addc4b42b4ee614ed16ef9217.jpg

Put that belt on and that is NOT a cross draw, that's a left hand draw. Or am I missing something? Her CSB is in a weird spot as well. I've never seen a CSB in front of the firearm. Behind the firearm is 'usual', but I always suggested having it cross draw as well to prevent the same thing from happening.
When She puts the belt on the firearm will be on her right side the Taser will be on her left side she reaches across her body with her gun hand to access the Taser on the left side of the body that’s cross draw

When She puts the belt on the firearm will be on her right side the Taser will be on her left side she reaches across her body with her gun hand to access the Taser on the left side of the body that’s cross draw
Ugh, you can't 'right hand draw' from that holster, cross draw, the taser would be facing her ass, not facing her front. That's like the 'old west' two gun setup from the movies.

Ugh, you can't 'right hand draw' from that holster, cross draw, the taser would be facing her ass, not facing her front. That's like the 'old west' two gun setup from the moviesj
Ugh, you can't 'right hand draw' from that holster, cross draw, the taser would be facing her ass, not facing her front. That's like the 'old west' two gun setup from the movies.

Attachments

• F18CC85E-C7C6-48FB-9529-33983D0B50DC.jpeg
    F18CC85E-C7C6-48FB-9529-33983D0B50DC.jpeg
    395.2 KB · Views: 22
This is what I was meaning by cross draw set up. Looking at the other picture was messing me up. Her set up is weird. If she was wearing the Taser on the same side as her gun that’s a huge mistake and goes against Taser trainings recommendations.

Potters Taser was opposite her handgun but not in the Recommended cross draw position

Attachments

• 63AECFAA-31BE-4422-B8B9-F387BD5F8CAE.jpeg
    63AECFAA-31BE-4422-B8B9-F387BD5F8CAE.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 24
All good, it took me a while to see it. Something just kept jamming in my brain on 'what's wrong with this picture' before it finally struck.
It really sucks for her it’s clear she did not mean to shoot him and in my opinion if he had just cooperated with the police he still be alive but everybody’s going to ignore that and put the blame solely on her. she made a mistake she would not have made a mistake if he had not been an idiot fighting with the police

The original Tasers were a flashlight with a taser system built in, and did not handle or trigger like a firearm. I think the very early ones used deflagration rather that compressed gas to propel, making them subject regulations as firearms.
It really sucks for her it’s clear she did not mean to shoot him and in my opinion if he had just cooperated with the police he still be alive but everybody’s going to ignore that and put the blame solely on her. she made a mistake she would not have made a mistake if he had not been an idiot fighting with the police
This is a common thread to most of these shootings, and a big part of why certain "classes" of people (I'm talking soci-economic, not race) are less likely to be accidentally shot. Even if the arrest was completely without basis, only a very small percentage middle class upstanding citizen types would try to solve it by fighting with the officer.

Suspect resists, and puts the officer in a position of having to exercise perfect judgment under a high stress situation. Under standard "but for" causality logic applied in other cases, this would place much of the blame on said suspect.

I've been in her situation, believe me, I completely understand. The problem with the taser is a simple one:

Every time you reach for your taser, in the back of your mind, you have to second guess yourself as to if it is the right choice.

That split second, and I mean that literally, goes by and now you have a less than lethal tool in your gun hand. Which is where it HAS to be to be deployed correctly (how good are you with your support hand shooting? I'm 'decent' but no where near my level with my strong hand). If your brain misfires in that split second, you have the wrong tool in your hand. I feel for her, but she made a huge mistake. She has to pay for it somehow. Someone should have had a taser out the instant the guy started to get froggy. For whatever reason, no one did and forced that split second decision that led to this. I taught use enough force soon enough, so this type of situation doesn't happen. Cops are afraid to 'look' over aggressive and end up in Bones' 'Servin and Protecin' thread.

I've been in her situation, believe me, I completely understand. The problem with the taser is a simple one:

Every time you reach for your taser, in the back of your mind, you have to second guess yourself as to if it is the right choice.

That split second, and I mean that literally, goes by and now you have a less than lethal tool in your gun hand. Which is where it HAS to be to be deployed correctly (how good are you with your support hand shooting? I'm 'decent' but no where near my level with my strong hand). If your brain misfires in that split second, you have the wrong tool in your hand. I feel for her, but she made a huge mistake. She has to pay for it somehow. Someone should have had a taser out the instant the guy started to get froggy. For whatever reason, no one did and forced that split second decision that led to this. I taught use enough force soon enough, so this type of situation doesn't happen. Cops are afraid to 'look' over aggressive and end up in Bones' 'Servin and Protecin' thread.
Agreed if They use the force that they were allowed to use when they should and could things wouldn’t escalate up and out of control but it’s exactly like you said they don’t wanna look like they’re being over aggressive

Collapsible Steel Baton.
Thankew. I seriously spent two middling search sessions looking
for the definition, but they were fruitless.

I haven't fondled one, but I know that they are Things,
and that there are numerous compliance techniques for using them
to obtain Mind Share from the Obstreperous-American community.

Edit: A 'taser' is an ECD, electric/electronic control device. Lots of those floating around.
XLNT.
I did an 80% build of one,
and I think I have another unbuilt kit.

Thankew. I seriously spent two middling search sessions looking
for the definition, but they were fruitless.

I haven't fondled one, but I know that they are Things,
and that there are numerous compliance techniques for using them
to obtain Mind Share from the Obstreperous-American community.

XLNT.
I did an 80% build of one,
and I think I have another unbuilt kit.
I think coming up with a new 'term' for something is a legit prerequisite for promotion within the LEO wonk world.

The most tedious trial I’ve listened to. The prosecution is calling everyone at the MN investigation agency except the janitor. They’ve had numerous witnesses watch the same videos and say what they did. The prosecution is dragging this out to an extreme. This trial should have been a week total (defense and prosecution). There is zero contention of e what happened, only if it was justified.

I hate the prosecution for wasting so much time, they suck. I can’t imagine the jury is paying attention to 75% of these witnesses

The most tedious trial I’ve listened to. The prosecution is calling everyone at the MN investigation agency except the janitor. They’ve had numerous witnesses watch the same videos and say what they did. The prosecution is dragging this out to an extreme. This trial should have been a week total (defense and prosecution). There is zero contention of e what happened, only if it was justified.

I hate the prosecution for wasting so much time, they suck. I can’t imagine the jury is paying attention to 75% of these witnesses

Well, you think, that maybe that might be the point?

🧐

Prosecutor was showing the video (frame-by-frame) to the Jury as Kim potter watched. The closer to the shoot frame the video came, the more visibly distraught she became.
Breaking down in tears as the Prosecutor came to a full stop at the moment of discharge. Kim clearly reliving that exact moment.

Just then the Defense Atty yells out "Excuse me Your Honor, can we have a break? My client is..." and the judge gives Kim a short break to compose herself.

That, right there is what I call "Icing the kicker" The Prosecutor being the kicker...

Riveting...

Prosecutor was showing the video (frame-by-frame) to the Jury as Kim potter watched. The closer to the shoot frame the video came, the more visibly distraught she became.
Breaking down in tears as the Prosecutor came to a full stop at the moment of discharge. Kim clearly reliving that exact moment.

Just then the Defense Atty yells out "Excuse me Your Honor, can we have a break? My client is..." and the judge gives Kim a short break to compose herself.

That, right there is what I call "Icing the kicker" The Prosecutor being the kicker...

Riveting...

The prosecution lawyer Erin Eldridge didn’t look good. This isn’t a serial killer or some violent criminal, she’s a sympathetic defendant. Beating up on her and having her breakdown and cry on two separate occasions, separated by a lunch break, was stupid. It only made the lawyer Eldridge look like a cold bitch and the defendant a very remorseful woman who made an honest mistake in a stressful moment.

I don’t see a conviction

Very little of wrights criminal history has been presented in the trial. Only the warrant for illegal possession of a gun, driving without a license, and a restraining order have been mentioned.

If the allegations in these civil suits are true, he was human garbage. Daunte Wright estate faces third lawsuit from woman he allegedly choked at gunpoint in attempted robbery
The only history that is relevant, is what was known to the officer at the time.

Even she knew she screwed up when she shot him instead of tasing him.

The only history that is relevant, is what was known to the officer at the time.

Even she knew she screwed up when she shot him instead of tasing him.

I know thats the evidence rule in criminal cases, in a civil case wrights full character gets exposed.

Yes she made an error. An error like this is something you get fired for or sued for, not sent to prison. It’s not manslaughter. The joke of an “expert” witness the prosecution called said she didn’t even have the right to tase him, they should have let him go and try to arrest him at a later date. Jury didn’t hear it but Wright has a 1 page thick file of skipped court dates and fleeing from police. The prosecution use of force “expert” was a comically bad witness

Back
Top Bottom