DATE FIRM, May 22nd . . . 2010 Spring Cast Bullet Workshop - Shirley Rod and Gun Club

FOOD UPDATE 3/24/10

Food is officially coordinated for up to 25 guests with plenty for second helpings. Please let me know if head count goes above 25 and we'll need to up the anti:

So far we have:

• Chicken Parm, rolls, case water, cookies (Zombieoutfitters) - TO FEED 10+
  • Grill, dogs, buns (Namedpipes) - TO FEED 10+
  • Bag-o-Sausages (Manomet) - TO FEED 8+ [do we need buns for those?]
  • ASSORTED CASE OF SODA & CONDIMENTS (Wheedwhacker) - FOR 20+
  • NAPKINS, PLATES & UTENSILS (Wheedwhacker) - FOR 25+

Thank you for volunteering guys!!!

I know this event is still a ways out, but a big thanks in advance to the instructors, Jim (for the location) and the other foodbearers.

So much today is microminiaturized, electronic, prepackaged, ultraprocessed and sanitized. Nothing stops us from hopping in the car, driving 2 miles to the nearest sporting goods "shoppe" and buying some ammunition manufactured by a machine that was built by other machines 1000s of miles away, trucked or flown here and to 1000s of other identical shops for us to pick off the shelf, scan the barcoded tag and drive off to the range.

Why I'd rather know how to refine and cast bullets, reload ammunition and so on using the basics, I couldn't really say. But I know the satisfaction I will get from erasing the (hopefully) center of a target with ammunition I made with my own hands will be greater than the satisfaction I get from picking up that box at the store.

So thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to this.

(And I promise to stop drinking in the morning!)

Think of the "instructors" as more like "facilitators"....... This is not a class, per se.
It's a workshop, where anyone and everyone that has any knowledge of the subject can share that info with the others in attendence that don't.

I always learn new things when I attend the workshops.

I'll be prepping, among other things, to mix up some lube batches, and can demo that also. I'll also be bringing my swaged bullets set up.

We also need:

PHOTOGRAPHER to document the sessions

SECRETARY to take notes, so we can post those tips, references, etc. To make this job easier, I would ask that anyone who intends to demonstrate something, do some kind of a write up in the form of handouts for that activity.

Last edited:
If I bring a mold, can we cast some bullets with it?

Absolutely [smile]

Also, we have many different molds, let me know if you're looking for anything in particular and if we have it we can bring it to cast with. Not sure which ones you have for the SW500, but we have several different configurations if you wanted to try.

Absolutely [smile]

Also, we have many different molds, let me know if you're looking for anything in particular and if we have it we can bring it to cast with. Not sure which ones you have for the SW500, but we have several different configurations if you wanted to try.

I have the .500 hollowpoint mold from the Cast Boolits group buy.

I see where all the .500 recoil junkies are in on the 600+ gr MiHec buy over on CB. [smile]

Guilty as charged..... Love those Cramer Moulds and Miha is the master..... His regular moulds are really nice too.... Beautiful workmanship....[smile]

Right now am shooting primarily SP and the new cramer HP. Am loading RR 700grainers for those that want a bit more..... This new mould will open up a number of fun possibilities..... Pumpkin shoot next year is going to be interesting....[wink]

Last edited:
The only bullets I cast are 1oz slugs. I can bring my slug mold if anyone is interested in that. Sounds like a lot of high caliber pistol and rifle rounds are the majority of what's being cast...but happy to bring my mold.

Slug Casting 011810-08.jpg Slug Casting 011810-04.jpg

What pistol calibers do you shoot?

If 9mm, .40 S&W, or 357 mag are among them, you should let me know next time you are in W. Newfield, and I can have you come by. We can cast some pistol bullets, load some into cartridges, and do some shooting with them. You'll like it!

The only bullets I cast are 1oz slugs. I can bring my slug mold if anyone is interested in that. Sounds like a lot of high caliber pistol and rifle rounds are the majority of what's being cast...but happy to bring my mold.

View attachment 9661View attachment 9662

Can I get in on this? Even tough I cast, I would like to get further instruction from those who know more than I do. I have plenty of lead, ingots or wheel weights, that I can bring. I could also possibly cover a few more people who don't have lead, as I will be acquiring a 55 gallon drum nearly full of wheel weights. I also have a .50cal maxi ball mold as well as a .308 mold.

If there is room I would love to go.

Kenny

And if Zombieoutfitters is going to bring his slug mold I would love to try that. I have been interested in that since I saw it on Lee's website.

Last edited:
Sweet. As long as the wheel weight deal comes through, which I am 95% sure of, I will bring a couple 5 gallon buckets full. Unless you feel that is too much.

I just need to figure out how I am going to get the 55 gallon drum home? I think it will be several trips with 5 gallon buckets.

So count me in. Thanks.

Just bring 20 pounds, which is a whole lot less than bucket full. You'll get to take home your 20 pounds either as cast bullets or ingots, or some combo thereof.
I'll add you to the guest list.

Sweet. As long as the wheel weight deal comes through, which I am 95% sure of, I will bring a couple 5 gallon buckets full. Unless you feel that is too much.

I just need to figure out how I am going to get the 55 gallon drum home? I think it will be several trips with 5 gallon buckets.

So count me in. Thanks.

Hi Duke! That mold is a 358439 168 grain Keith and there is currently a group buy getting set up on Castboolits for it if you want one.... Scheduled to run in June..... Mighty nice shooter......

In the meantime you are certainly welcome to use ours at the session.....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=72785&highlight=358429

Mark, I'm hoping that you guys will bring your 357 SWC mold, like you did for the last workshop. I'd love to run my 20 pounds through that.

Just bring 20 pounds, which is a whole lot less than bucket full. You'll get to take home your 20 pounds either as cast bullets or ingots, or some combo thereof.
I'll add you to the guest list.

Duke, I worked out a deal with Marcus on the left over lead, as he said he is in need. I have a few hundred pounds already, and I am more than willing to help out a fellow shooter in need.

I will use 20# and he is going to take the rest.

Thanks for letting me in on this, sounds like fun.

as I will be acquiring a 55 gallon drum nearly full of wheel weights. I also have a .50cal maxi ball mold
I grew up in Rochester and can't tell you how many places in the Tri-City area I stopped and asked to buy lead. Nobody would sell to me and most of them were already saving it for someone. I'll be bringing a couple .54 molds to try out.

I attended my first NES event today (AR build @ Walpole) and enjoyed it... any chance that I can get in on this? I'll bring wheel weights and food? Thanks

I grew up in Rochester and can't tell you how many places in the Tri-City area I stopped and asked to buy lead. Nobody would sell to me and most of them were already saving it for someone. I'll be bringing a couple .54 molds to try out.

When you have a lot of friends in the tire industry, you get little favors like that. Also have a friend in hazardous waste disposal (not chemicals), so he gets some lead from time to time. Also came accross a pile of weights in boxes that were defective, as the steel clip was miss-shaped. It's good to make friends with managers at tire shops!

If some folks are casting for black powder, the lead must be nearly pure. Let me know and I will bring plumber's lead.

What pistol calibers do you shoot?

If 9mm, .40 S&W, or 357 mag are among them, you should let me know next time you are in W. Newfield, and I can have you come by. We can cast some pistol bullets, load some into cartridges, and do some shooting with them. You'll like it!

Sounds like a "blast". Yes, 9mm is my primary cartridge. Next time we're up there with some free time I have you in my phone...will give a call.

Back
Top Bottom